House MD Fans - Urgent news!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi People,

This could be seriously bad news for UK fans of "House MD" and Five. There is news that the miserable :censored:'s at ITVChav are looking at poaching the superbly acerbic and gritty medical drama show "House MD" from Five! :thumbsdow :mad: :nono:

At the moment, the show (in its 3rd Season) is airing on Five to around 2.5 million viewers each week. ITV is said to be in talks with the programme's makers - Universal - in the USA, as they start a bidding war for one of the best and most popular drama shows, to secure it for national ITV transmission, from Season 4 onwards!

ITV have been quoted as saying they are: "upbeat and confident" in securing the show from Five, and if they do, we all know what's going to happen to our fav sardonic doc? Yes, shoddy scheduling, dropped episodes, lots and lots of adverts, and probably some regions not airing the show at all, or airing it at a stupid time!

This truly is awful news, and I sincerely hope that Five can keep the show, especially as they've treated it with so much love and respect, for the past 3 years!

Pooch

ITV dropping episodes. Do they do that? :confused: :eek:

I'd be disappointed to see a drop in picture quality. C5 House picture looks close to HD.

don't honestly care about ads. I never watch anything live anyone so I can FF through them :devil:

I stopped watching it on TV anyway and rather watch the DVD's.

Anyone know what other days its shown. I know its thursday at 21.00 but does it repeat any other day.

One of the best shows, if not the best, on tv. I also like to watch current episodes, usually the day after they're aired in the states. No ad's, hd conversions, 5.1 sound... all the things you don't get with commercial tv here.

I can "obtain" episodes of most of my favourite programmes before they air in the UK, but I always make sure I watch them when they are on our tv.

Unless support is shown via ratings, broadcasters may not bother to buy these shows, so UK viewers will lose out on the opportunity to see them.

My viewing habits actually count towards the viewing figures, so it is important I support my favourite shows when they are on UK tv.

I can "obtain" episodes of most of my favourite programmes before they air in the UK, but I always make sure I watch them when they are on our tv.

Unless support is shown via ratings, broadcasters may not bother to buy these shows, so UK viewers will lose out on the opportunity to see them.

My viewing habits actually count towards the viewing figures, so it is important I support my favourite shows when they are on UK tv.

I fundamentally disagree with you here. What matters most to commercial tv stations, as it does to Sky, is advertising revenue. Same as in the states. The only people that care about how many people watch a programme are the advertising executives. Have you watched itv recently? Wall to wall "reality" tv and scandalously corrupt premium-rate phone-in "quiz" shows. Utter crap. BBC is going the same way. Hence, House is shown on Five and any other shows worth their salt are on cable or satellite stations.

I fundamentally disagree with you here. What matters most to commercial tv stations, as it does to Sky, is advertising revenue. Same as in the states. The only people that care about how many people watch a programme are the advertising executives. Have you watched itv recently? Wall to wall "reality" tv and scandalously corrupt premium-rate phone-in "quiz" shows. Utter crap. BBC is going the same way. Hence, House is shown on Five and any other shows worth their salt are on cable or satellite stations.

You cannot seperate Viewing Figures and Advertsing Revenue, with no viewers, no company will pay advertise. The Commercial TV stations have to prioduce ratings in order to get the advertisers in.

Some I watch on broadcast TV but always with a DVR:)

The UK ratings system doesn't measure what I watch so it simply doesn't matter what I watch and the whole system is flawed being based on around 5500 homes and some questionnaires. The only reason ratings exists is to provide a comparison table to gauge advertising rates for commercial broadcasters who sell us to the advertisers.

You cannot seperate Viewing Figures and Advertsing Revenue, with no viewers, no company will pay advertise. The Commercial TV stations have to prioduce ratings in order to get the advertisers in.

The two are certainly linked but the importance really depends upon how the revenue streams for the broadcaster are structured.
ITV are now fully commercial advertising/sponsorship motivated although they do use the premium phone lines and charge for some net content with other minor commercial interest. Most of the multichannels are split between subscription and advertising and really can't survive if they lost one or the other, one that could would be SKY1 which could go ad free with minimal lost (in broadcast terms).

This is demonstrated by the reduction in viewing figures for SKY1 thanks to the loss of a quarter of it's audience from VM, quite rightly advertisers are paying for X number of viewers but are getting Y amount now are expect refunds/reductions in rates yet SKY is no real danger of going into the red.

I also purchase the DVDs but maintain a watchful eye when it's aired in the US via *ahem* other means! :)

S1 only £15 at HMV

Be carefull with that box set though. Its not in widescreen:eek:

the good news, there'll be a series 4, yay! :thumbsup:

HI,

Glad to hear that Five have retained the rights to "House"! :clap:

As for repeats, alas "House" isn't repeated on any of Five's channels at all, I'm afraid. :(

Also, even though I disagree with people viewing the show via "other sources", there is a reason to watch the show when it's broadcast in the UK, and that is so that channels keep buying the show! Simply put: no viewers means no advertisers. No advertisers means no programme revenue, which equates to a channel not bothering to pay the money for the programme, meaning UK viewers loose out in the long term!

All I can say, is please try to watch as much of your US drama viewing as is possible, on UK TV channels, otherwise there may not be a choice outside of DVD's or "other sources" (e.g. downloads via illegal websites)!

Pooch

They did repeat series 1&2. I got into House from the start but the mrs just sneered at me for watching too much tv...then one of her girly friends said how good it was and she watched from the start while I continued with series 2. It was on one of those obscure channels you wouldn't normally use...Hallmark??

Jus.

Doesnt effect me I download all my TV fixes :)

Get to watch them weeks/months before most UK people and hook me PC up to my TV or stream through Xbox 1 :)

I agree partially with what you're saying about no separation between viewing figures and advertising revenue, but lets say what we really mean here. It's all about making money, not spending it.

Be carefull with that box set though. Its not in widescreen:eek:

I have it and it really doesn't matter with House. I have seen it both 4:3 and widescreen on TV and the widescreen isn't better unlike with other shows. All the main action is in the middle of the screen. It isn't like anything is cut off. I rather have it 4:3 and save money. Luckily, Season 2 is widescreen though.

Anyone know what episode Five are upto?
I was watching AVI files and decided to wait for Five to catch up.
I was on Episode 11 of season 3.

Thanks

Anyone know what episode Five are upto?
I was watching AVI files and decided to wait for Five to catch up.
I was on Episode 11 of season 3.

Thanks

They are up to Season 3 episode 4 so far.

All I can say, is please try to watch as much of your US drama viewing as is possible, on UK TV channels, otherwise there may not be a choice outside of DVD's or "other sources" (e.g. downloads via illegal websites)!

How does the current system track viewing figures? I remember long ago it being down to several thousand households that were monitored by special equipment they were provided. The results were then taken as a percentage of the population and scaled up accordingly. So when they say 5 million watched Eastenders on a Tuesday evening, they're really just guessing.

Is it more sophisticated these days where Sky/Cable can determine who/how many are watching a particular channel at a particular time?

As I only have freeview I don't expect my viewing to affect any figures so how can we make sure the shows we like are well presented in the ratings? I feel most of us are powerless in this respect.

Hi Pah,

How does the current system track viewing figures? Is it more sophisticated these days where Sky/Cable can determine who/how many are watching a particular channel at a particular time? I feel most of us are powerless in this respect.

Alas, I don't think there's much change. BARB - the British Audience Research Board - the company who actually calculate the numebr of viewers watching a particular show, still use the same methods, as far as I know. I'm not sure of how accurate they are, but maybe the BARB also get info from each of the relevant TV channels as well.

I do agree, though, that the ratings system as it stands, is not accurate. How can a proportion of the UK's TV sets, that are hooked-up with BARB's ratings equipment, give anywhere near a truly accuarate view of what the rest of the country are actually viewing? :confused:

You may wish to contact BARB direct. You can go to their website, and find out more information. Their website is here!

Pooch

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom