House is now shaking at loud volumes

Itsthesmell

When we moved into our house 2 years ago I built an Atmos system with in ceiling speakers. The front mains were Mission 733i's, the centre was a B&W DM600 S3 and the ceiling was budget Cambridge Audio from RS. The amp was an Onkyo TXNR636.
The sound level this set up created was spectacular and I didn't realise how good it was until the speaker upgrade.

I swapped the Onkyo for a Marantz SR7012 for its atmos capabilities.
Then I bought DALI Rubicon 5 for the front and DALI Rubicon Vokal for the centre. The ceiling speakers are DALI E60.

The crossovers are set the same as the old speakers but now at high volumes the fabric of the building gives off its sound signature, the walls are of a plasterboard/lightweight construction and it all shakes.

Is this caused by the new speakers?
I thought; having the crossovers the same as the older system the pressure wave would be the same but it looks like maybe that's not correct.

The Onkyo only had a basic room correction caused Audasey, the marantz has the upgraded system that controls the sound for room correction, so what do you guys think is causing it?

password1

Distinguished Member
I think you've answered your own question.

Movement from speakers at loud volumes and thin enough or flimsy plasterboards = vibration.

KBD

I've rumbled the floor in my humble abode with bass guitar a few times & if I'm being honest it was too loud.
I would suggest you might also be damaging your hearing.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
With you mentioning that the room is rattling. Do you have a woofer in the mix? Have you manually adjusted any of its level/crossover since you have upgraded everything to see whether its that's actually causing the problem. You see the Marantz may be calling on it more than the Onkyo did. So, its worth looking and maybe messing with the levels especially if you haven't had a play since you've updated everything. If you are worried about adjusting it, simply power the woofer off and see if the rattles stop. If they do, then you know you are looking in the right area and you are going to have adjust the level and crossover to see if you can iron it out

Itsthesmell

I have a subwoofer in the set up. The Marantz asks for it to be set at half volume when its doing its room correction adjustments, I then turn the sub down to around a quarter to keep the neighbour happy. It still vibrates the house when watching Hans Zimmer in Prague.
The Dali's are a superior speaker in every way with slightly larger woofers but setting the crossover to 80hz should give the same sound pressure, wouldn't it?

I haven't tried turning the sub off because with the crossovers set to 80hz it will clip the signal and won't give us a true reproduction.

I'll try it tonight and get back to you.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
That’s correct, but it’s just to see if it’s the woofer not behaving. Out of interest what woofer is it?

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
That shouldn't be shaking the house down, it's only a baby of a woofer!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
‘high volumes’ - How loud are you running the system? Most mobile phones and a Free App. will give you a reasonable SPL reading.

Joe

Itsthesmell

The old amp had a readout of 75 (its maximum volume). I'd regularly have it between 50 & 60, I think I took it up to 65 with Hans zimmer once. That took it past its peak performance but it didn't shake the house like the new set up does. It was listenable, this new set up isn't at lower volumes. I have an issue with Dolby Atmos not playing properly so perhaps its the faulty Atmos section that was going wrong. I'll get in contact with marantz and get it fixed.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The reading on the Amp has little relevance, especially when ensuring you are not damaging your hearing, use your mobile to get an idea of how loud you are listening to movies at.

The room vibrating is also a worry!

Joe

DodgeTheViper

The reading on the Amp has little relevance, especially when ensuring you are not damaging your hearing, use your mobile to get an idea of how loud you are listening to movies at.

The room vibrating is also a worry!

Joe
You’re right, Joe, they’re a bit pointless on their own.

But, if that 75 is a max volume, it’s possible that it’s +18db over reference. Then if the volume was set at 65, then that could potentially be +8db over reference. All guesswork of course but that volume has to be too high.

Last edited:

Itsthesmell

I'm a 46 year old raver, it was awesome! I'll only ever listen to Hans zimmer at that volume because for some reason I don't enjoy it, but that bluray in Dolby Atmos is next level.

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
It’s worth considering if you can isolate the sub a bit, even though it’s a smaller one. I had rattling in my room with my SVS subwoofer but getting the isolation pads SVS sell made an enormous difference; it greatly reduced the rattle across the room. Those pads are bespoke for SVS I think but may well work with your sub, but otherwise you could try any combination of isolation pad feet to place under the subwoofer (presuming it’s front firing). Cheers

Apone

Try turning off Audyssey Dynamic Eq if you have it on because that can also enhance the sub bass when the volume is below reference.

I can only suggest / imagine you have a poorly constructed room/house and listening at crazy volumes! To rattle the house and to make the water move in the bath in another room as you suggest requires some very serious energy which your speakers and amp simply won't do unless something isn't right! From what I can see your sub has a single 8" driver with a 120w amp?

To put it in perspective I've attached a picture of the speakers I use in my cinema room which is a small bedroom 16ft x 10ft (approx) however very well built with some acoustic treatment and you can crank it up to reference without any distortion / rattles and it doesn't vibrates other things in the house at all...

Those speakers are 15" drivers and the subwoofer is 2 x 12" subs with 950W - some people are running much bigger/more powerful systems than mine and again don't suffer from rattles etc.

M L;].jpeg

Itsthesmell

That's some serious rig you have there. The walls of this house seemed like a typical false wall/plasterboard but in actual fact are made of a cardboard lattice structure with a skim of plaster on both sides. We didn't know about it until hanging a TX58DX902b TV. All of the walls are like this. The thing is it didn't vibrate the house with the old amp/speakers. It could be the sub was a foot or so away from the wall and perhaps but I don't remember it being in a different place to where it is now. The Dali's are superior in all ways but with only 1 woofer that's 0.5" larger (so 4 x 0.5" in total between the 3 speakers) it doesn't compute to me that's what the cause is.

leenorm1

Standard Member
Can’t really tell from your post what kind of issue you are having, is it a rattle or resonance ? The first thing you need to do is set the volume readout to relative in the settings ( -60 to +18db ) then set a volume limit to 0db. This is reference level and playing any higher will cause damage. I assume you have set all speakers to small ? I would suggest you download a tone generator app and connect to the AVR via bluetooth. Depending on the app I would suggest you do a sweep from 50hz to 600hz and listen for the noise/vibration you are referring to. Once you have found the frequency it occurs at you can then continuously play that frequency and walk around the room until you can pin point where the noise is coming from.

Itsthesmell

I'll give that a go when I get the amp back from repairs. I think it might be a case of the sub was further out into the room than it is now.
The speakers; they don't seem that bass heavy but the neighbour hears it more than the old ones. Could the clearer top end of the Rubicon's (sort of) mask the way we hear bass? I'm no expert on hearing.

Nostromo71

You don't happen to have a cat flap in your living room door, do you? I put one in mine so the cats could come and go and still keep the room warm. I don't have my subwoofer particularly loud, but with big explosions etc, it rattles like hell and is a real annoyance.

Itsthesmell

I think I've figured it out.
The old Mission speakers I had as my main fronts were front ported, the Dali's are rear ported and they are in the corner of the room either side of the TV. With the Rubicon Vokal being a larger centre speaker this must be the reason. The B&W was rear ported but it was about a third smaller than the vokal. I've put foam sound absorbers on the corner behind the tv but how effective this is.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney+ confirms price increases coming in December
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow