'Secondhand Cinema' - House Extension with a Dedicated MK Home Cinema Room

I purchased my Daikin Emura A/C from a local trade plumbing/heating supplier (Climate Center now trading as Wolseley) and had a local installer fit on a weekend for cash. Came in at £1k including install and purchasing the Wi-Fi add on module for app control.

Edit: Just checked and original quote from installation company was £1180 +5% vat (domestic) for the system plus estimated install cost of £400-500 on top.

Are you having air con for the whole extension, or just the cinema room?

And are you planning to keep your amp etc inside the cinema room, or outside?

Are you having air con for the whole extension, or just the cinema room?

And are you planning to keep your amp etc inside the cinema room, or outside?

Cinema only at the moment, so not a large area.
Rack is in the room as couldn’t find a way to get it out without impacting the kitchen area, so 2 AVRs, Poweramp, console plus projector.
Wife and builder (I think) both think it’s over the top and won’t be needed. I think it will.

Wife and builder (I think) both think it’s over the top and won’t be needed. I think it will.
You are correct, it will definitely be needed.

I'm not convinced.
Not to be argumentative and derail the Op's thread but what leads you to think that?

Both rooms I have had needed it to the extent that they would have been not just uncomfortable but unusable during the height of summer without.

And not even during the height of summer. I use AC in my AV room for about 6 months of the year. The heat from a plasma/projector, all equipment and a couple of bodies is significant in smaller rooms. Shut the door for viewing and it has nowhere to go.

Another vote for AC.

my room would be impossible to watch a film in through the summer without it.

Not to be argumentative and derail the Op's thread
Sure, and when Harkon said he thought it would be needed, I didn't comment. Your comment was that it definitely is needed, and I'm not so sure. We had a few days this year when it was stupid hot. I did sit down to watch a film in the living room in the evening in one of those days, and had to take my top off (my living room isn't insulated like many home cinema rooms, so they'd possibly be worse). Air con would have sorted it, but there are only a few days like that, and I personally wouldn't mind having a day off from watching when it's that hot.

I'm planning to have my amp(s) outside of the room, and I'll also have an inline extractor to help keep it from getting too hot. I'm not sure air con is definitely necessary.

And not even during the height of summer. I use AC in my AV room for about 6 months of the year. The heat from a plasma/projector, all equipment and a couple of bodies is significant in smaller rooms. Shut the door for viewing and it has nowhere to go.
Well it has nowhere to go if you have no ventilation at all, and you should have ventilation even in winter. I imagine your room would be a bit stale for the 6 months you're not using the aircon.

My current plan was two inline fans to exchange air and then aircon to maintain temperature. But... it does all add up quite quickly.

My current plan was two inline fans to exchange air and then aircon to maintain temperature. But... it does all add up quite quickly.
If it happens for whatever reason you don’t proceed with the A/C then I’d advise to plan for it by leaving space for installation plus pipe runs and pre-wiring for power.
You‘ll be glad you did later :)

For those of you with air con, I'd be interested in where you positioned it. I was going to put it in the back right corner, either blowing across the width or down the right hand side, but I only have 1 metre behind me and I think I'll get a draft on my neck. I'm thinking on the wall about halfway between screen and seating will work better, even though I'm not sure I'll like reflections off the unit!

1602596098609.png

For those of you with air con, I'd be interested in where you positioned it. I was going to put it in the back right corner, either blowing across the width or down the right hand side, but I only have 1 metre behind me and I think I'll get a draft on my neck. I'm thinking on the wall about halfway between screen and seating will work better, even though I'm not sure I'll like reflections off the unit!

View attachment 1380930

mine was in the back right corner above my surround speaker blowing across my seats.....did you notice it?

Back right corner blowing across the width of the room behind my seats.

You won’t get a draft across your neck when the system is in quiet mode just holding a comfortable temperature. The airflow can be directed away if needed. Towards the front blowing across your feet, you‘ll get cold toes and the unit will be visible unless you can cover it in sticky back velvet material!

mine was in the back right corner above my surround speaker blowing across my seats.....did you notice it?

Embarrassingly, yes. :blush: I think that's me being a big girl's blouse though more than anything...

That's 3 fans? I think you'll only need one. Air con on it's own should be plenty. Alternatively, you'd just need 1 inline fan. Where where you thinking of running the inlines to?

Fan extraction helps, but you don't want it on humid days.
My room gets plenty of natural ventilation when the door is open, house air currents doing their thing. Also I have trickle vents in the windows.

But I hate being too warm, so AC is a must for me. I have it in our attic bedroom as well.

Mine is behind and above me in the left corner. My room is so small that the MLP is against the back wall, so I never feel direct cold air anyway.

That's 3 fans? I think you'll only need one. Air con on it's own should be plenty. Alternatively, you'd just need 1 inline fan. Where where you thinking of running the inlines to?

The room will have no easily accessible windows (boarded over with fire escape 'hatch' I'm yet to design). The AC only recycles the air already in the room. Current plan has the door opening out. If I go with that then it's not reasonable to have the door left open, so the air is going to get stale. Eat a chinese whilst watching a film and I reckon you'll still be smelling it 3 weeks later.

Last edited:
The room will have no easily windows (boarded over with fire escape 'hatch' I'm yet to design).
Yeah, my room will be sealed too.
The AC only recycles the air already in the room.
Oh sorry, I thought it got fresh air from outside. Do they all only recycle air?

Current plan has the door opening out. If I go with that then it's not reasonable to have the door left open, so the air is going to get stale.
That's why you need 1 inline fan, to extract air. For air in, you don't need a second inline fan, it can be passive (ie, just some ducting from one location to the other).

It doesn’t even need to be summer to need A/C with a sealed room full of kit and people.

If the room starts the viewing session at a similar temperature to the rest of the house then it will steadily rise even if the air outside is lower than the air inside. It would need to be brass monkeys outside and have poor insulation to keep pace with the internal heat generation.

I often need mine on in the winter months due to having heavy insulation (room inside a room), sealed doors and laminated glass. The central heating rad is set to 21deg and it just rises from there unless below 5 degrees outside.

An issue that means we can't watch movies, or an issue that means we'll be happy with just a T shirt?
Only if wearing a T-shirt also magically makes it less stuffy feeling and reduces the humidity :)

It doesn’t even need to be summer to need A/C with a sealed room full of kit and people.

If the room starts the viewing session at a similar temperature to the rest of the house then it will steadily rise even if the air outside is lower than the air inside. It would need to be brass monkeys outside and have poor insulation to keep pace with the internal heat generation.

I often need mine on in the winter months due to having heavy insulation (room inside a room), sealed doors and laminated glass. The central heating rad is set to 21deg and it just rises from there unless below 5 degrees outside.
An issue that means we can't watch movies, or an issue that means we'll be happy with just a T shirt?

without derailing this thread (it is relevant as I know Matt is thinking about AC).

The very first film I watched in my room was before AC was fitted. Admittedly it was August and the internal temp started at 22 degrees.

4 of us were in the room, really excited at the first ever viewing in my purpose built cinema.

We got 45 minutes in before giving up, the temp had risen to 27 degrees and felt like 40! It is in effect the same as Sauna. Loads of body heat and nowhere for it to escape to.

I didn’t watch another film until AC was fitted.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom