House Extension with a Dedicated Home Cinema Room

Harkon321

Big tidy up today. Rooms now pretty empty. Fibreglass roof almost finished.

Next week we start first fix of electrics and cut new side access door. Old UPVC door (pictured will then be blocked up) and a small internal wall demolished.

D52D1960-977F-47AA-B84F-013250FBC896.jpeg
D913A07C-58ED-475C-BDB3-EF792D1DF309.jpeg

Attachments

Harkon321

I've already bought 100m of Van Damme blue but I've just worked out I'm going to be about 50m short. They don't have anymore stock and everywhere else seems be charging the earth.

Farnells are suggesting this as a replacement. Any thoughts?
https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/1...l-2c-2-5-100m/dp/CB08668?MER=sy-me-pd-mi-alte

It'll be for two speakers in the cinema room and then a couple of ceiling speakers in the kitchen. I figure it should be fine. The surrounds in my living room are only 1.5mm.

Harkon321

Few small updates. We had a small utility area by the old back door. These units have been stripped out, and a new opening for a side door cut And the little window blocked up. Took a way longer than expected due to cables, pipes and a steel we didn’t know about all in the way. Building Control specced a new steel and we are back on track. Old back door now blocked up with double skin of dense concrete blocks which will help with the soundproofing.

7405CAA0-5BF0-4808-BF59-976208558D4B.jpeg

E52BFD40-E94D-4625-B726-0BE076CF2496.jpeg

3919ECDE-033B-4348-BED1-D567E42A460E.jpeg
04A79AF1-4B60-4E93-967C-9A9D585B0AF5.jpeg

So I finally have a screen wall, of sorts...

Builders are coming back Friday to fit new side door, window in cinema room the dividing wall between this space and the kitchen. (Open it up, more light etc). They are then off for a week whilst I crawl all over it running speaker cables and CAT6.

Still need to do first fix as well but everything is marked out.

Harkon321

Speaker cable? You only started building a month ago!
Helps when you're not doing the heavy lifting yourself.

I've finally made a decision about air recirculation/extraction for the cinema.

Extract
I've ordered a very quiet 5" inline fan. SL TD350SILENT
Really hope it fits as it is pretty large. Intend to run 5" ducting from above the AV cab to the front via the pelmet and across the front pelmet to outside.

Inlet
Currently planning to take 5" inlet from the kitchen. No fan, going to try it with just the positive pressure caused by the extract. Run ducting to behind the projector hush box and push air from back of projector to front.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Helps when you're not doing the heavy lifting yourself.
Sure, but I still can't believe it. I've been working on mine for an eternity, so I'm quite envious :)

I've finally made a decision about air recirculation/extraction for the cinema.

Extract
I've ordered a very quiet 5" inline fan. SL TD350SILENT
Really hope it fits as it is pretty large. Intend to run 5" ducting from above the AV cab to the front via the pelmet and across the front pelmet to outside.

Inlet
Currently planning to take 5" inlet from the kitchen. No fan, going to try it with just the positive pressure caused by the extract. Run ducting to behind the projector hush box and push air from back of projector to front.
Yeah I looked at that extractor too. It should do the job. I think the passive inlet will be fine. It'll be negative pressure though.

Is this as well as aircon, or are you undecided on aircon?

Harkon321

Wiring for air on but not fitting yet. At this time of year it’s hard to judge if it is needed. I’ve spoke to an installer and they can run the pipes outside so don’t need to decide now. It also means I can get away without studding the right hand wall (no pipes to hide) and fit the in wall speaker in to the block work. (Gain 120mm width)

Harkon321

Acoustic ducting arrived and extractor. Way bigger than I imagined!! 😳

New side door fitted and internal wall removed.

Attachments

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom