'Secondhand Cinema' - House Extension with a Dedicated MK Home Cinema Room

The Sewell ones or the Amazon Basics? Think the pictures ones are Sewell deadbolt?

Need to buy banana plugs.
Does it matter what I buy?
Looked at Amazon basics and some by Sewell??

The Amazon ones look like a ripoff of the Sewell, at a fraction of the price. I haven't read the reviews, but I imagine they're good enough.

Why does painting always take so much longer than you think it will??!
Even roped my eight year old to help today, sure he managed at least 15 minutes 🙄

I‘ve got one light bulb in there at the moment, so it is really hard to spot patches I’ve missed. I’ve done all the door frame, the skirting and two coats on the door. Mounted the rear ‘window doors‘ properly. This photo shows them clearly.

2BC89210-4981-4BED-9D98-3B18D7A20283.jpeg

Need to get some MDF cut for to finish the soffits but my local B&Q apparently don’t stock 12mm mdf sheers anymore! I’ll need to get it from the timber yard.

Front wall

8CE7C688-8D1A-432A-BD59-01C263B77ACD.jpeg

I’ll get the lighting done this week and then wrap the bottom soffit panels in felt before refitting.

Last edited:
Another delivery of timber to finish the soffit and the projector housing, hoping to get back on it this week. Migraines wiped me out this week.

I'm nearing the time I need to buy the screen.

Any recommendations on where to buy from or what to buy? Acoustically transparent. I think 106" is about right, after 2.5m wide. Projector will likely be Epson 9400 or a JVC down the line.

Last edited:
Any recommendations on where to buy from or what to buy? Acoustically transparent. I think 106" is about right, after 2.5m wide. Projector will likely be Epson 9400 or a JVC down the line.
Seymour AV.

UF or XD, depending on viewing distance.

All lighting marked up (changed my mind at least 10 times), bottom of soffits removed and cut. Then started to wrap each panel in Self Adhesive felt courtesy of this thread here: Self adhesive Velvet flock

Fairly easy to work with so far, but I've only done one panel (and I picked the smallest one).

75118EDD-2AD4-4205-9185-03CAB9303160.jpeg
DEBF98D3-8FAC-468F-B444-80BDF8F1C0AD.jpeg
EC3BCF0A-A80C-4EB6-9DA2-52081F19AC26.jpeg

Last edited:
Did that one on my own and it was fine. The longest soffit pieces are 2.4m long and I‘ll get someone to help me with those or at least be nearby.

I’d really recommend this stuff for a DIY install. Corners are tricky but the rest is easy enough. Gives a really nice finish.

This panel is above the cab, hence the extraction vents

0553E1D6-17F3-40D8-A1E7-0CC35A894932.jpegB9AFC09C-15EE-4E57-B4DB-65C5277FBDA5.jpeg

Which stuff are you recommending, and what vents are they?

Self Adhesive flock for wrapping panels/walls etc.

Vents are off Amazon. Nicer finish than the black plastic ones.

All soffit underside panels fabric wrapped and fitted. Also wrapped the projector box to match. Vent for projector intake fitted, provides passive intake from kitchen. Will tidy cables and fit the shelf tomorrow.

20337567-403E-4141-BC69-2F1712F7761F.jpeg

Foam added to atmos speaker back boxes, as apparently the MK IW85 came with foam originally - bought these second hand.

A8DE6A64-27E0-4C75-A701-2C8DDE7906C1.jpeg

Soffit sides all primed. Will be cut to the correct lengths and then fabric wrapped before fitting over a lengths of OSB.

16179344-C7E5-43E9-85C3-89A2F6F41088.jpeg

Extract vents above the cab, still need to connect up this extract hose.

5C971ECA-741B-41A9-B945-A08E5263A340.jpeg

Downlighters fitted and wired. (Still have two to do but ran out of time and patience today.

46BA3BFA-9F97-4150-A0CF-1E39FE6E08BC.jpeg

Pleased with how it is coming on.

What the down lights do show though, is how crap the Dulux paint is. It marks so easily. It shows up dust (of which I’m still creating some) and if you wipe it, it looks horrendous. Will clean it up and give another coat. The plan was always to have MVel curtains in front (Thank God) but it will definitely need covering with curtains or panels with a 4 and 8 year old. Utter garbage.

Same here, I used different paint but with the same result. Two years on (or whatever it is), it's impossible to keep clean. You can't vacuum or wipe down without making it worse!

Fabric is definitely the way to go.

Looking great BTW.

I could cover with this adhesive flock stuff I think. Just worried that if I don’t like it or the joins are too obvious then it’s not going to come off without fetching the plaster with it. It would give a much better finish though.

All soffit underside panels fabric wrapped and fitted. Also wrapped the projector box to match. Vent for projector intake fitted, provides passive intake from kitchen. Will tidy cables and fit the shelf tomorrow.

View attachment 1460488

Foam added to atmos speaker back boxes, as apparently the MK IW85 came with foam originally - bought these second hand.

View attachment 1460487

Soffit sides all primed. Will be cut to the correct lengths and then fabric wrapped before fitting over a lengths of OSB.

View attachment 1460485

Extract vents above the cab, still need to connect up this extract hose.

View attachment 1460484

Downlighters fitted and wired. (Still have two to do but ran out of time and patience today.

View attachment 1460486

Pleased with how it is coming on.

What the down lights do show though, is how crap the Dulux paint is. It marks so easily. It shows up dust (of which I’m still creating some) and if you wipe it, it looks horrendous. Will clean it up and give another coat. The plan was always to have MVel curtains in front (Thank God) but it will definitely need covering with curtains or panels with a 4 and 8 year old. Utter garbage.
Despite your paint issues (dulux) I must say it’s looking great, keep up the good work it will look fantastic when finished and give you a great cinema room in the end 👍🏻

Last ditch attempt to quieten the fan noise down (wish I”d put it outside the room). Built two additional panels to go around the fan. MDF and OSB with two sheets of lead in the middle. (Old roll of lead - had it in the shed for ages). Then insulation then OSB and MDF soffit boards.

Room noise floor is 30db.
With fan on was 45 db.
With soffits now in place fan is 36db. I‘m fairly sure I won’t hear it over the projector, it’s just more noticeable in a silent room.

Weirdly the living room where we currently watch films measures 41db

FED26F0E-65AE-41CE-BC07-7333B7D40796.jpeg

Almost finished the soffit uprights. All downlights fitted and 11m of Hue strip light fitted and set up.

A couple of quick shots on my phone when I packed up yesterday.

E4E46A31-8E78-4D59-90DB-DA2EFAFFE3DD.jpeg

1547CB7F-3CA3-4B25-BA3A-50D45A9FD6AD.jpeg

Need to finish the last couple of bits on the soffit today and build a small box section in the corner to hide the cable run from the cab to the soffit.

I then need to decide what to about the walls and ceiling as the black paint not only marks and looks rubbish, it also doesn’t look remotely black compared to the panels.

Options I’m considering:
  • Wrap all walls and ceiling with self adhesive flock.
  • Use a standard satin paint and then do MVel panels on ceiling and curtains at the side.
  • DIY Star ceiling
  • Some combination of the above...

In short, no. If you gently run your finger across it, with clean hands, it leaves a mark. If it isn’t touched you can get an ok finish. Even the, I still don’t think it’s very uniform (small marks from the roller). Just a waste of money and time. I could have left the room as either bare plaster or even just as plasterboard and saved a stack of time and money and fabric wrapped the walls from the start.

Just a waste of money and time. I could have left the room as either bare plaster or even just as plasterboard and saved a stack of time and money and fabric wrapped the walls from the start.
I did tell you!

On a separate note, the effect you're getting from your Hue strips is better than my room. How far from the ceiling are they (I assume they are pointing up)?

About 27cm mate. ^

Got GreenGlue compound and a few tubes of acoustic sealant left over, if anyone is doing something similar.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom