House Extension and Home Cinema Install in lounge

Per156GTA

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Well, works are a short while away yet (about 12 weeks away), so I have decided to lay out some plans for my floating wall and home cinema installation.

I am also in the process of sepaking with AV Sales in Tunbridge Wells, to get the following equipment:
My 'wish list' is as follows and I have already asked AV Sales (one of the recommended traders from this site) in Kent for prices - so we'll see what he comes back with in due course.

1 - a 46" 1080P lcd - I like the Samsung LE46M86BDX
2 - Pioneer VSX-LX60 or 70 AV Receiver
3 - Pioneer PD-D6J CD player
4 - Either separate Blu-Ray/HD dvd players (Panasonic BDP-LX-70A & Toshiba HD-EP35) or if it is ever released, and the spec is right, a dual format player like the Samsung SB-UP5000
5 - Pioneer 5.1 Speakers S-V810A or Morduant Short Mezzo 5.1
6 - a 1080p Projector - InFocus, Themescene or the new Panasonic PT-AE2000E
7 - a 96" electric screen
8 - lots and lots of HDMI cables, connections, speaker wire etc.

In terms of my floating wall, hopefully the attached will make sense.

I have already had a quote for the 10mm toughened glass that I need, and it's not that expensive (relatively speaking) - coming in at around £180 for 1 x 10mmx1000mmx500mm and 3 x 500mmx500mm.

Anyhow, here's the first of many posts to follow (it'll be about 12 weeks though before I post up any pictures, so I'll need to keep this bumped up!)

Cheers

Per

Attachments

• Elevation view and measurements.pdf
    25.5 KB · Views: 209
  • Angled View.pdf
    20.3 KB · Views: 155
Per,

Nice plans, this should be a good project.

Re the Blu-ray player, have you considered the PS3? This is probably the most futureproof player, as the software is easily upgraded (unlike many standalone players which have hardware-based playback). It also has wireless internet connection, and facility for media streaming from your PC.

Have a read round on the high def DVD players forum before you spend the cash on a HD-DVD player.

And why a separate CD player?

Keep us updated with your progress!

MarkP

Mark

Cheers. (I have double registered - signed on as Fieldling86 from my work PC, but Per156GTA from home!!)

I had considered the PS3, but I think a standalone, dedicated Blu-Ray player is the best option, but I haven't yet excluded the PS3.

I have seen the comments on the HD-EP35, and think that unless there is a better HD player, I will go for that one as it has the necessary 1080p/24fps and the appropriate audio formats. There are also a number of films that currently are only on HD - Transformers, Blade Runner, Serenity to name a few, plus Battlestar Galactica is on HD, not Blu Ray. I do think Blu-Ray will be the eventual winner, which means some HD films will (hopefully) be eventually released on Blu-Ray, at which point the cheaper HD player can be 'dumped', cos it won't be worth anything!

As for why a separate CD player - from what I have read, there is no DVD player - SD, BR or HD that can actually do really good CD music - even the £900 Panasonic BDP-LX70A player has poorer CD play back than a £250 CD player, and I think this is becuase of the additional circuitry in the DVD for the 5.1 sound which muddies the CD sound, which is just stereo.

Also, I'd run the CD on a pass-through facility on the Amp which would just be the Fronts and no SUB. The CD player I am looking at is however SACD, so I woudl be able to get Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon on SACD and enjoys that in proper multi-channel music.

As the project on the house and the home cinema lounge gets under way, I will be posting up pictures etc.

Cheers

Per

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom