House DIY advice required

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sandman, Apr 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,550
    Hi all, I am looking for a wee bit of advice regarding some DIY/home improvement work I want to do.
    My house was built in the early 70's and and is predominantly clad with facing brick but has some timber cladding to break things up a bit.
    Anyway at the rear of the house in the kitchen there is a standard size back door and a small window and next to the kitchen there is a large window in the dining room.
    I want to remove and brick up and back door and replace the dining room window with french doors the same width as the window.
    Now at the same time as doing this I want to replace the timber cladding between the french doors and the upstairs window with facing brick. I recently drilled a hole through the timber cladding above the upstairs window into the loft space to run an aerial cable and it was simply thin timber and a waterproof membrane attached to a timber frame. Now I am guessing that none of this is structural and the upstairs window is held in place by being attached to the brick work at either side. Is this likely?
    My plan is to remove the timber and a couple of bricks either side to let me install a lintel above the downstairs window and brick up on top of the lintel till I reach the upstairs window. Is this how is would normally be done? Would the lintel being on show not be a bit of an eyesore?

The reason I want to replace the timber with brickwork is so the rear of the house is flat which would make fitting a conservatory easier in the future.
    house rear.JPG

2. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,227
    You can get a metal lintel that allows brickwork to the face. Just my opinion but if it was me and I consider myself fairly handy, I would do all the prep but get a bricky in. As it's very visible I would want a very neat job and it would probably be only a couple of days work for him.

3. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,233
    Your problem may be getting a good match on the bricks. Otherwise it will stand out like a sore thumb :)

nb there will be lintels above the other apertures too. The brick doesn't support itself and certainly doesn't rely on the window frames.

4. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,079
    fitting a conservatory? Blimey you're going to need a tipper full on infil or a skip full of frame fixings and stilts ! :D

5. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,227
    My house is similar, I intend to put mine on a steel framework and build storage under.

6. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,079
    buy the steel now, prices have tanked :)