House Alarm, Accenta ?

redboy1

Hi, moved into a new house and this is the alarm it has
IMAG0243.jpg

IMAG0244.jpg

Its an Accenta G4. It works but when it goes off the bell box outside doesnt siren. The LED lights on the bell box work all the time, So is there a way of testing the siren ?
I have tried to set it off doing a test on the keypad but it does not sound, the keypad makes an alarm noise but the bell box dosent.
I just wondered if the alarm has been set up so the bell box does not go off or if the siren is broke, Anyone have one of these or are there any sparkys who know about these on here ?

Thanks

j3ff

Standard Member
Hi,

do you have a user manual for the alarm? If not I can pm you a link as I'm not too sure about posting it in open forum (although the info is quite easily available).

The manual has a few pages re testing the bell/stobe etc which should help to narrow down what's going on.

If the strobe is operating then power is getting to the bell box so unlikely to be a fuse issue.

If the siren hasn't been toggled off then it may be disconnected inside the panel or bell box itself for some reason. Usually it's just 2 wires to a choc connector or similar depending on the bell box so simple enough to check although you'd have to take the cover off which would set off the tamper side of the alarm. More details in the engineer's part of the manual.

HTH

regards
jeff

redboy1

Thanks jeff, i did have a look in the bell box a while back now and as far as i remember all wires were connected. Power is getting to the box as the 2 led lights that flash all the time are flashing.
I did try setting the siren off through the test procedure and it didnt go off, Im not sure if it would go off it was toggled off.
Im hoping to have a look this week but im not too hot on electricals.

redboy1

Managed to have a look and the wiring in the panel corresponds to the connections in the bell box.
All i can think of now is the siren is broke or its been deactivated somehow.

ukbaggio

Hiya you should have in the bell box....
12v +
12v -
Tamper return
Bell trigger
And strobe

If you link the 12v- to the bell trigger the sounder should go off if it doesn't the bell box is NFG!

Thanks Baggio

redboy1

Thanks, here are a couple of pics of the panel wiring and bell box
IMAG0257.jpg

IMAG0258.jpg

I couldnt see a 12v+ or 12v- so i tried linking the the very end - think it was batt- to the TRG and nothing happened apart from the amber LED you can see went off when i linked them.
Is there anything else i could try or does that mean its Kaput !

kickitt

Ah Ventcroft - I used to work for that bunch of .... ahem- less said the better!
- Interesting use of phone cable instead of multi core alarm cable there.....
things to try:-

Connect the spare green/white wire to Strobe+ at both ends - this should get the strobe on the bell box working

If you have access to a multi meter then set it to DC volts (anything above 12) and do the following tests:-
at the control panel put the red test wire to SCB+ and the black wire to bell - you should get no reading then set the alarm off - you should now get a 12v reading - if you dont then there may be a fault with the control panel. - if you do get a reading then the problem is probably either a break in the cable or the bell box
-
At the bell box -
Try to connect the siren to the hold off + and - (unscrew red + black siren wires and touch them to the +
and - terminals marked hold off in the bell box) - there should be a 12v supply to hold off so the siren should sound straight away - if it doesnt then you probably just need a new siren - if the siren works then re connect it and get a bit of wire and touch one end to hold off - and the other to TRG - if the bell sounds then its probably a break in the trigger cable

redboy1

Ah Ventcroft - I used to work for that bunch of .... ahem- less said the better!
- Interesting use of phone cable instead of multi core alarm cable there.....
things to try:-

Connect the spare green/white wire to Strobe+ at both ends - this should get the strobe on the bell box working

If you have access to a multi meter then set it to DC volts (anything above 12) and do the following tests:-
at the control panel put the red test wire to SCB+ and the black wire to bell - you should get no reading then set the alarm off - you should now get a 12v reading - if you dont then there may be a fault with the control panel. - if you do get a reading then the problem is probably either a break in the cable or the bell box
-
At the bell box -
Try to connect the siren to the hold off + and - (unscrew red + black siren wires and touch them to the +
and - terminals marked hold off in the bell box) - there should be a 12v supply to hold off so the siren should sound straight away - if it doesnt then you probably just need a new siren - if the siren works then re connect it and get a bit of wire and touch one end to hold off - and the other to TRG - if the bell sounds then its probably a break in the trigger cable

Thankyou kickitt, ive been on Diynot forum with this but the responses i get from them are is if im a qualified sparky! You have explained it brilliant.

Things have changed since my last post, someone suggested i take the green bell trigger and touch the orange scb A wire which i did, nothing happened until i put the green wire back in its place, then the siren went off but i could not turn it off.
I typed the code into the keypad, the keypad stopped sounding and reset but the bell box kept on sounding. Since then i have checked continuity of the cables which are fine and the responses ive got is the bell box is kaput.

Today i have tried what you said, Ive put the alarm into test mode and when the bell box siren is OFF (but the siren is still sounding) i have put the red of the multi meter on the WHITE & BLUE wire and the black to the GREEN wire, This give a reading of -0.70 and when switched to ON its -0.50

For now i wired the extra wire into strobe + and the strobe works :D
I have took the siren wires out in the bell box to shut it up but you can still hear the alarm slightly coming from the PCB.
As it is now the alarm sets ok and resets ok and if i set it off the strobe flashes on the bell box.

Any help much appreciated kickitt, I dont mind going and buying a new bell box, just want to make sure its not the panel first.

kickitt

white blue and green are tamper return and siren trigger - they would be around 0v all the time - though the slight diffrence looks like the siren trigger is working - try the same test with the red wire on the meter to the 13v+ if you want to confirm this. - should read about 0V normally and 13v if the alarm is triggered.

the wiring looks right.... is there 12v present at bell+ at all times? (connect black wire on tester to 13v minus and red wire to bell+ if theres no 12v here then thats your problem - though theres a couple of work arounds -

if theres no 12v at bell+ then connect the wire that goes to bell + to the +13v terminal instead (the one that has all the red wires coming from it - its not ideal but saves buying a new control panel!

If the control panel looks fine and it looks like its the SCB at fault then do the following -

Bypass SCB
disconnect the bell box battery,
disconnect the SCB wires at the control panel
fit a jumper wire between terminals T and A on the control panel
connect the siren red wire to the white /orange - (bell plus)
connect the siren black wire to the green/white wire(bell -)
this should now work but wont have SCB battery backup or bell box tamper
(which is usually only good for making the siren sound during power cuts - ahem)
let me know how you get on

redboy1

I have tested the bell - with the Red wire on the 13v and i am getting 13v all the time. I take it this means the panel is at fault. The sounder wires being disconnected in the bell box wouldn't affect this would it?

Tried the same test on the strobe and that is showing 0 when off and 13v when on so thats working properly.

I tried the bell + and that is showing 13v all the time as well.

kickitt

sounder wires being connected should make no diffrence -
looks like the negative trigger is permanently active since you tried connecting it to scb A - dont know why as thats a perfectly valid test .... one I would have done myself if I was trying to get it running.
im sure this is one of those jobs that if I was looking at it I could suss in a couple of minutes - if your in Liverpool I might be able to pop over and hit it with a mallet for you!
did you try the scb bypass? - if your panel is ok then that should work fine -

failing that - as your strobe works you could always wire the strobe - to the - trigger wire - that will make the sounder work but there may be an issue with it not stopping sounding within the allowed 20 mins .....

redboy1

I've got a sledgehammer, will that work!

I'll have to try the scb bypass another day as its ******ing down here. (midlands)

Where's the best place to look for a new panel or bell box ?

Was thinking of getting someone to fit a new one but times are tight at the mo. All the wires.are there so shouldn't be hard just replacing them.
Knowing my luck ill do that and its a dodgy wire somewhere causing the problem. Then again if I'm getting 13v at the bell- all the time then it must be the panel.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom