Hotmail hacked

Reaction score
As above when trying to sign into my account i was met with the password is incorrect and could not sign in. I know i had not changed it and have used the account for years now. I tried the reset password option but it would not work, i then filled out the validation form now and both times it said it could take upto 24 hours for a code to be sent that would allow me to reset my password.

This is now going on 3 days ago. I have since joined upto the Hotmail forums and posted there. But the lack of support in this is frankly disgusting considering the size of Microsoft. They have basically replied and told me to do everything i already have :facepalm: Why would i be on their forums otherwise for gods sake.

They are saying it also looks fine their end....what? :confused: How can it be fine when i can not gain access. The amount of numbers i have tried to at least try and speak to someone is beyond me, most leading to dead lines or just no answer.

I did a fresh install of windows just to be safe. But now i have lost access to basically everything. That email was used for everything basically. I can not use my Steam account as it wants to send a code to my email to verify it's me. Same goes with Origin, i can not sign in as my password has changed. It has effected my Youtube and gMail account. Really i am seriously annoyed.

Does anyone have any experience here with this and know of any decent contact numbers or just any advice on what to do.

I have put hundreds of pounds into my steam account and Origin and really do not want to lose it all.

Last edited:
Sorry to rain on your parade but because Hotmail is free there is not much support for it.
There is the inbuilt password recovery processes but that is about it. If you don't have those configured then you are screwed. I lost a hotmail account a number of years ago when the password was hacked and then changed but luckily I did not have anything important going through it.
For your Steam account I suggest that you contact the support directly do not try to gain access yourself.
As to your Origin account I can't help there.

On a more serious note I would NEVER use hotmail for the likes of Steam or Origin.

Last edited:
Sorry to rain on your parade but because Hotmail is free there is not much support for it.
There is the inbuilt password recovery processes but that is about it. If you don't have those configured then you are screwed. I lost a hotmail account a number of years ago when the password was hacked and then changed but luckily I did not have anything important going through it.
For your Steam account I suggest that you contact the support directly do not try to gain access yourself.
As to your Origin account I can't help there.

On a more serious note I would NEVER use hotmail for the likes of Steam or Origin.
Yes i understand that and yes i think now i was naive to use the account for basically everything but it was done years and years ago. It's annoying me because i have tried everything with regards to resetting passwords. I have done the Validation part now twice and both times received an email saying i would receive a reply within 24 hours giving a code to rest my password but still nothing.

Their forum is like something from the early internet days, so hard to navigate and understand

Last edited:
Origin is done, that works and have sent a ticket to Steam explaining the situation, hopefully it works

Scorz

Can't begin to imagine your frustration at losing your email like that.

I had my Hotmail hacked a few weeks ago by some sort of virus that started sending spam out to all my contacts in the early hours of the morning. I was watching the US Open in bed at 1.30am on my iPhone and had a quick look at my emails in the commercial break (as you do). I got a server error message telling me to contact the administrator.

When I switched on my PC, I'd had a message from Windows Live to say that they'd detected unusual activity on my account and had suspended it to prevent further abuse. They gave me a link for resetting my account and changing my password (via my old Virgin.net account) and everything was back to normal by about 2.30. I spent an hour sending emails out to the 94 contacts in my address book to warn them not to open the dodgy emails and went to bed at about 4am with the dawn chorus and the bin men at 6am (bottles and cans day)... I left Kaspersky doing a full scan and ran Malware Bytes in the morning to clean out my PC.

Windows Live had stopped the virus sending out spam in my name with about a third of my contacts unaffected. I don't doubt this was all automated, but I was quite impressed.

The thing that I learned was that it's a good idea to have an alternative email address or mobile number registered for password recovery.

Add/

For interest, these emails can usually be spotted by a lack of entries in the subject box and often contain just a link. I believe the link usually contains the virus that then attacks your address book. You can see how quickly this can spread. I've seen a couple and even opened one by mistake which is where I think I got caught. They also seem to be sent out at times you wouldn't expect, e.g. middle of the night.

Because they apparently come from people you know, it's easy to just open them and then you've been had. They seem to evade anti-virus programs as well.

Sorry for the ramble and apologies if this is all old news. Hope it helps somebody.

Scorz

Can't begin to imagine your frustration at losing your email like that.

I had my Hotmail hacked a few weeks ago by some sort of virus that started sending spam out to all my contacts in the early hours of the morning. I was watching the US Open in bed at 1.30am on my iPhone and had a quick look at my emails in the commercial break (as you do). I got a server error message telling me to contact the administrator.

When I switched on my PC, I'd had a message from Windows Live to say that they'd detected unusual activity on my account and had suspended it to prevent further abuse. They gave me a link for resetting my account and changing my password (via my old Virgin.net account) and everything was back to normal by about 2.30. I spent an hour sending emails out to the 94 contacts in my address book to warn them not to open the dodgy emails and went to bed at about 4am with the dawn chorus and the bin men at 6am (bottles and cans day)... I left Kaspersky doing a full scan and ran Malware Bytes in the morning to clean out my PC.

Windows Live had stopped the virus sending out spam in my name with about a third of my contacts unaffected. I don't doubt this was all automated, but I was quite impressed.

The thing that I learned was that it's a good idea to have an alternative email address or mobile number registered for password recovery.

Add/

For interest, these emails can usually be spotted by a lack of entries in the subject box and often contain just a link. I believe the link usually contains the virus that then attacks your address book. You can see how quickly this can spread. I've seen a couple and even opened one by mistake which is where I think I got caught. They also seem to be sent out at times you wouldn't expect, e.g. middle of the night.

Because they apparently come from people you know, it's easy to just open them and then you've been had. They seem to evade anti-virus programs as well.

Sorry for the ramble and apologies if this is all old news. Hope it helps somebody.
Hi no worries, i don't see it as rambling and i appreciate the effort and the more info inside this thread if it can help others in the future the better.

An update. I have managed to get both Steam and Origin back. Steam just required my credit card details and proof of my address. Really impressed with Steam btw, heard so many horror storys about them and how long they take to respond. The whole thing has been dealt with in one day.

Still nothing back from the Hotmail guys though which is very annoying. I have supplied alot of info and just don't seem to be getting anywhere. Hopefully things will eventually change. I have learnt my lesson though and will no longer be using Hotmail, i just want to regain access so i can change my Youtube account and then i will close the account.

Another update. I now have my hotmail back. Was done over night. :)

Well that's a relief... glad they got there in the end :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom