• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Hot water pressure

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
So, I've just moved into a 60's house from living in a brand new house and the hot water pressure is appalling! The boiler was relocated from the kitchen to the upstairs bathroom in 2007. Not sure if this has anything to do with it?
The shower has a pump so is ok (albeit noisy!), but running from the tap is rubbish.
Is there anything I can do to improve it? Or is it down to the pipes being too narrow or something?
Background info, there is a water tank in the loft, water cylinder and boiler in the upstairs bathroom.
Thanks in advance! :)

kevandalice

Established Member
Did you have an unvented hot water cylinder (megaflow or similar) in your previous house? This would have supplied hot water at mains pressure and may explain the pressure difference in your current house.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Did you have an unvented hot water cylinder (megaflow or similar) in your previous house? This would have supplied hot water at mains pressure and may explain the pressure difference in your current house.
No idea, but it was bloody good.
So, I need an unvented hot water cylinder in this house to improve pressure?

razer1

Established Member
It will be I would have thought because its a gravity fed system. Hence the cold water tank and cylinder.

Short of having the whole system looked at and possibly reconfigured, it would be pointless doing much tbf.

New builds tend to be fitting unvented cylinders. We work on a lot of Megaflows, being a Heatrae servicing company and they are great when they work but can be a nightmare to work on as installers tend to fit into the most inaccessible places known to them! Which makes our jobs harder... :(

Is it both sides that are bad? Hot & cold?

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
The pressure of your hot water tap is directly related to the distance between the cold storage cistern (often called a tank) and the tap.

If there's not much height, there won't be much pressure.

Of course it could be a localised issue with the tap(s) in question.

Often taps are fitted in standard low pressure systems that are only suitable for high pressure.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Cold is perfect. It's only hot that is bad.
When you say having the whole system looked at and reconfigured, what does that entail?

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
Sounds like you may have mains cold, tank hot. You certainly will have at your kitchen tap. Try to hold the palm of your hand over the cold taps then turn on the tap. If you get wet then it's mains cold, if not then it's tank fed.

A plumber would have to check out the pressure before it gets to the tap, it's a common problem having the wrong type of tap fitted.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I just tried on both bathroom and kitchen cold taps and got wet! So looks like it's fed from the mains.
Will speak to a plumber to see of there is a tap issue.
Thanks for all the replies so far! I would thank them but you can't do it from the iPhone app.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom