1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hot Transformer

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by tylandr, Apr 5, 2005.

1. tylandr

tylandr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have installed a ceiling light in the kitchen that has (6) 50w halogen bulbs. All are attached to a flexible rail that is suspended from ceiling using 6-inch standoffs. The problem is that after the lights were on for awhile, the base holding the transformer was warm to the touch, but not warm enough to burn. However, the shaft coming out of the base that the rail actually connects to (and transfers the power) was hot enough to make you think you were blistered.

Now, the lights do not work at all. I know the house wiring ( (2) 12 gauge w/ground) is ok because the flourescent light that was there worked for 20 years. It just fell out of favor with my wife :thumbsdow

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Snow Board

Snow Board

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You say you know the house wiring, what do you mean by 12 gauge etc etc, is this the Low voltage wiring you refer to, ie. what the lights are mounted to?

3. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this guy is American, Snow Board - Tylander sounds like you had a faulty connection between the transformer and the track which has now burnt right out, get a new fitting.

4. tylandr

tylandr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll give that a shot. By the way, I am an American - just not too proud of it. I guess you guys are mostly Brits?

Don't Blame Me - I Didn't Vote For Bush