1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hot Subwoofer!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by MurphmanL, Aug 1, 2004.

1. MurphmanL

MurphmanL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have bought an Acoustic Solutions DS633 Home Cinema setup from argos, very nice sounding little setup for a bedroom methinks :)
    Anyways, the problem i seem to be noticing is that the subwoofer seems to get very very very hot when in operation, to the extent it produces a stenchy smell (of heat)that makes watching dvds not such a pleasent experience :(
    So because of this, i was wondering if this is normal and not to be worried about, despite the stench and the ridiculous heat level of the top of the sub, or if im giving the sub enough ventillation...
    The woofer is in an enclosed unit, with an open front and back, and about 7 inches from the wall where a fan is blowing out air and the front of the woofer is the bass hole.
    So what do you guys think?
    Could this be a bit of a dodgy sub that could be a posisble risk or is this normal?
    Or is it a simple case of giving the sub a tad more ventillation?
    Some advice would be of great use and much appreciated :)

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    None of the subs I have owned have fan cooling. If in doubt take it back.

3. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Drag it out of the unit and see if it still does it. If so then take it back as it doesnt sound very healthy.

4. MurphmanL

MurphmanL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yeah it doesnt seem too healthy.
    Thanks for the advice guys:)
    Ill leave it out of the mains socket for a change then take it out of the unit and watch Gladiator through in DTS and see how hot it feels then, if its the unit enclosure thats the problem, it may prove tricky to move it elsewhere permanently :s
    Ill report back my results tomorrow, i have also emailed Acoustic Solutions to see what they have to say :)

5. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the smell could just be the paint on the capasitors burning off? Saying that i would still take it back i think

6. CBDSonline

CBDSonline
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its normal. my sub is the same. the smell is the newness burning off the hardware inside. . the laquer and board coatings etc all need time to burn in. the smell should get less and less over a week or so depending upon how much use it gets..
    if you look through the back vent holes you will see one hell of a heatsink on the amp. this is where the heat comes from. the case and front should stay at room temp. just the back should feel warm.
    mind u just as much heat comes off the plasma screen as comes out the back of the sub. i should be able to leave the heating off over winter lol and just use the plasma and sub to keep us warm.