Hot Remote ????

tabs

Prominent Member
Reaction score
im not clued up where remotes are concerned, whats an all singing and dancing very flashy remote (universal) that has a certain wowwww factor :confused:

cheers in advance

I'm very happy with my Harmony 885. Yes it may not have touch screen and a few other features, but I like the fact that it is still shaped like a remote. I'd definitely recommend you consider the 885. Look on the trading forums on here, usually one every so often.

im not clued up where remotes are concerned, whats an all singing and dancing very flashy remote (universal) that has a certain wowwww factor :confused:

cheers in advance

What would be your ideal amount to spend would help. Anything from £50 right upto £700. A figure will make it easier

Mark

What would be your ideal amount to spend would help. Anything from £50 right upto £700. A figure will make it easier

Agreed. My fave money no object remote would be a Pronto 9600 closely followed by the 9400

For approx 200 a 2nd hand Colour Pronto (RU980 or RU990) would be my personal preference.

I'm not a fan of the Harmony concept and prefer the ultimate tweakabilty of the prontos but the 1000 does look cool (Not necessarily that convenient to use though, not really 1 handed and doesn't offer enough features to make the tablet style worthwhile in my opinion)

Agreed. My fave money no object remote would be a Pronto 9600 closely followed by the 9400

For approx 200 a 2nd hand Colour Pronto (RU980 or RU990) would be my personal preference.

I'm not a fan of the Harmony concept and prefer the ultimate tweakabilty of the prontos but the 1000 does look cool (Not necessarily that convenient to use though, not really 1 handed and doesn't offer enough features to make the tablet style worthwhile in my opinion)

I agree with the above - but, my personal preference after the Pronto 9400 would be the Nevo SL or Nevo Q50. This is only because the Nevo's suit one handed operation and, I happen to think the Nevo looks better than the 980/990. It's all subject and I hasten to add, that I think the 980/990 is actually a better remote than the Nevo but I still go for the Nevo over the 980 / 990.

You can get a Nevo sl or Q50 for about £250 - £300.

Just out of interest will you be looking to use any extenders, or tie this remote into a heating, lighting, music server installation. If not, then based upon looks 7 cost alone the Harmony 1000 might be best for you

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
990 only if you can't get a 9400 or 9600. I am planning to upgrade my 990 to a 9600 in the next month or so - as soon as I decide where to buy it, whether I need (or want) an extender, and once I've actually written a configuration for it.

990 only if you can't get a 9400 or 9600. I am planning to upgrade my 990 to a 9600 in the next month or so - as soon as I decide where to buy it, whether I need (or want) an extender, and once I've actually written a configuration for it.

I'd like one of these also but is the software as easy to use as the 990? My only other concern is that it looks very nice, but is that touch screen a decent size?

Only holding one will tell........................ :devil:

I've had a play with the 9400 and 9600 ProntoEdit, and it really is just as easy. There are more options in the "Action" for buttons (since it can do more) but it still contains jumps, links etc. that the NG version does. If I remember correctly, the system properties can be applied to all devices by default (so hard buttons have common functions) but can be specified per device if needed. I don't remember the NG version doing this, but could be wrong.

The one thing I did find it missed - the NG version allows you to use the colour at the upper left corner of a graphic as transparency colour - the 9400 / 9600 versions don't. Which is a pain since I only had Paint for modifying graphics buttons. But I've now bought a proper graphics package so it's no longer an issue.

As far as I can see, if you can program the 990 you will have no problems with the 9400 / 9600. They are just the same and I expect no problems at all.

From the sytem files on RemoteCentral, it looks like you can definitely fit more useable buttons on the screen. For my TV screen I have 3 channel buttons on each row - the 9600 configs seem to manage about 8 buttons per row fairly comfortably.

If I remember correctly, the system properties can be applied to all devices by default (so hard buttons have common functions) but can be specified per device if needed. I don't remember the NG version doing this, but could be wrong.

The NG does do this, well the B&W ones do at any rate.

To be honest once more I wish I'd not got involved in this conversation because I'm getting upgradeitus. I have a RU950 (non colour version of the 980/990) and although I'm very happy with it I'd love colour.

The NG does do this, well the B&W ones do at any rate.

To be honest once more I wish I'd not got involved in this conversation because I'm getting upgradeitus. I have a RU950 (non colour version of the 980/990) and although I'm very happy with it I'd love colour.

Although I own one, I personally wouldn't recommend upgrading to a 990. I wanted one for quite a while, and only eventually upgraded when my grayscale one died (happily, it's recovered since then so works OK in the bedroom). To be honest though, the fact that it's colour doesn't really make much difference to it functionally - and personally, I don't think the display is the best in the world anyway.

Of course - I have no real justification for upgrading to the 9600 except that it looks nice. So I'm not really in a position to talk you out of your upgrade!

Watch this space mate, I may well get a 9400 and you can have my 990 :clap: :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom