• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Hot laptop

brandy123

Hi guys I have only recently got a new laptop and have just got the sims 4 and football manager 16,they were not working properly straight away so I was told to put my laptop onto high performance mode when I'm gaming and now both games work perfectly but I have noticed my laptop is really hot when I'm on high performance mode is it safe ? Is their something I can download to check my laptop temperature and what is to high temperatures I need to no ?
I do switch back to normal performance when I stop gaming and use the laptop for normal use

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
You don't say which laptop it is but it's not unusual for some parts of the surface of many laptops to reach 40-50°C when going flat out. If it's uncomfortable to use there may be an issue but otherwise that's just the way it is.

If performance isn't an issue then you could try enabling the Vsync option in the games. That will stop the game doing extra work over what your screen requires so it can reduce the power use (and heat output) on more powerful systems. It does cause smoothness issues if your system isn't capable of doing that much work though, which is why it's off by default.

brandy123

My laptop is a :
Toshiba L50D-C-12Z AMD A10 Processor, 8Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD Storage, 15.6 Inch Full HD Laptop 2Gb Dedicated GFX With Optional Microsoft 365 Personal - White

Specs are these:
AMD A10-8700P processor
8Gb RAM
1000Gb hard drive
15.6 inch HD LED-backlit (1366 x 768) display
2Gb AMD Radeon R6-M340DX dedicated graphics
DVD SuperMulti dual layer drive
802.11 bgn Wi-Fi, Bluetooth[emoji768]
Webcam
SkullCandy tuned speakers with DTS Sound
2x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0, HDMI, Card reader
Windows 8.1

Would a Laptop Cooling Stand With Fan
Help as well

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Nothing wrong there, they're not low power components or anything so it's normal for a thinner laptop with them to get hot. Notebookcheck haven't tested that exact configuration but L50 models with dedicated graphics they have tested were between 48°C and 58°C on the hottest point on their casing after prolonged full load:

Toshiba Satellite L50-B-182 Notebook Review
Review Toshiba Satellite L50-A-10Q Notebook
Toshiba Satellite L50-B-1TD Notebook Review Update

Those are dedicated stress tests, but games would come close to those temperatures.

The only thing you may want to do is to take the battery out when using it on mains power as batteries will lose their capacity faster when hot. If you don't use the battery that often then storing it at medium charge rather than maximum or minimum will also help with it's life.

brandy123

Ok bud thanks for the info,forgot about taking the battery out as I tend to use mains power most of the time

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom