1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hot Hot Hot AVR-300

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by RaiderRed, Sep 11, 2005.

1. RaiderRed

RaiderRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My AVR-300 is mounted inside a small cabinet that is only open in the front. Consequently, there is very little air circulation and the top of the receiver is almost too hot to touch. When placed outside the cabinet, the receiver is warm, but not unreasonably so.

Is mounting a small electric fan inside the cabinet a stupid idea?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Good idea. Follow the recs in the manual re distances around re cooling.

3. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

Mounting a fan that extracts or blows air in is an excelent idea. Blowing it in is the best solution as this way the fan bearings are kept cool and will last longer. I have done exactly this with my cabinet as my SKY+ box kept crashing, if you use a 12v fan but run it at about 8 - 9v it will also be alot quieter. Its also worth looking for a low noise fan as they noise vairies alot with different designs of fan.

Also I would suggest switching the unit to 4 Ohms if it is not already on that setting, as it will dissipate less power. (If you are using 8 Ohm speakers it will still work well, all that will happen is that it will clip about 2dB earlier if you are playing it very loud)

Regards,
    Andrew

4. cpd

cpd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you explain why there were no vents placed on the top of the AVP700? I have it in a cabinet that is open at the front and back, but not the sides. It's a little disappointing that this thing usually runs warmer than my seven channel amp or my previous receivers with amps. Is there any rule of thumb for judging what is just "normal warm" and what is "too hot" for the AVP?

Chris