Hot hatches or convertibles around 10-11K?

Apologies to those who think my new Mark V Golf Gti is dull but I'm pretty pleased.
I'm now looking to upgrade the stereo, I started a thread over in ICE but it seems a bit slow moving.
iPhone/iPod in Mark V Golf GTi | AVForums

If anyone can give me some help or point me at at good VW/Golf/GTi forum where I can find some experts I'd be much obliged.
One of the best golf forums going IMO!
uk-mkivs - The UK's best Forum for Volkswagen Golf MK4 & Bora, Mk5 Golf and Jetta, Mk6, MK7 and New Scirocco

Did you just buy one mount for a specific phone - or is there an adjustable one I can't find?

The Brodit clip is car specific, not phone specific.
You buy a specific mount for your phone , then that screws/sticks onto the clip.
So you buy it in two seperate parts, one car specific and the other phone specific.
IIRC, the Brodit website guides you through the two-part buying process.

I understand that, the part you attach to the dash is a given, but the 2nd phone holder bit seems to be phone specific to the point of with or without a case at £25 each and you have to screw them into the part on the dash.
As I want to use an iPhone 4S with/without a case, my iPod classic and probably an iPhone 5S at some point I was hoping to find one with some adjustment.
At the moment I'm considering buying the Brodit bit that clips to the dash and then screwing someone elses holder to it so I can have a bit of flexibility.

Missed the bit about you buying the golf but I'll leave it as it is

In August I bought a 09 plate Impreza WRX Hatchback

Apart from the scoop in the bonnet it's not noticeable what it is on the road, it's only car people that notice it

In the 4 months I've owned it the smile hasn't been off my face

I absolutely love it , the tax is £10 a week, some people spend that a day on fags , the average on the fuel computer is 22.6 , my last car was a focus 1.6 diesel , on that it was 38.8

The difference in fuel for me is £1000 a year £20 a week

A guy I work with spends that in Subway

Everything about the car is perfect, equipment, road holding, performance

I've had a lot of cars in the last 5 years , this is the only one I've wanted to keep from day one, the others were just transport

The only other car I felt the same about was a 205 GTi I had in 1987

Find a good one, one owner, no mods and FSH and test drive it, I'll be amazed if you're not driving home in it

Last edited:
The 1.9 205 GTi was the car I always wanted but couldn't afford when I was younger. I had a 205 Auto which had a 1.6 engine and went like stink, used to wipe the smiles off the drivers faces of a lot of "proper" fast cars when I left them standing. I saw a lovely looking 1.9 at the weekend, really looked after.

I did see one WRX which (on paper) looked worth a go, but when I got to it it was scratched and scuffed all over. The gold alloys were not subtle either. Someone had had a lot of fun in it some of it off tarmac. I guess I should probably have tried it and tried to source a clean one if it was fun, but the dealer and the car put me off.

Glad you're loving yours though. The Golf GTi is still making me smile, took out on Saturday with my family and my folks and even loaded up it still had the guts to overtake without breaking a sweat.

Was that the saloon, dont think i've seen a hatchback with gold wheels

The hatch is much more subtle

20131209_151711.jpg

The 1.9 205 GTi was the car I always wanted but couldn't afford when I was younger. I had a 205 Auto which had a 1.6 engine and went like stink, used to wipe the smiles off the drivers faces of a lot of "proper" fast cars when I left them standing. I saw a lovely looking 1.9 at the weekend, really looked after.

I did see one WRX which (on paper) looked worth a go, but when I got to it it was scratched and scuffed all over. The gold alloys were not subtle either. Someone had had a lot of fun in it some of it off tarmac. I guess I should probably have tried it and tried to source a clean one if it was fun, but the dealer and the car put me off.

Glad you're loving yours though. The Golf GTi is still making me smile, took out on Saturday with my family and my folks and even loaded up it still had the guts to overtake without breaking a sweat.
1.9 Red GTI was, is the best hot hatch I've owned, wish I kept it on an old K rev, loved it

That makes mine look really cheap

09 plate 48,000 miles, one owner full Subaru history , I paid £7300 with £400 worth on road tax on it

.....And all you have room to carry in it is your hairdressing gear. Hot hatches are all about everyday usability, 2 seaters are weekend toys.

Disagree - I use it all week - commuting and weekend stuff.

Disagree - I use it all week - commuting and weekend stuff.

I take it you never need to carry anything in it and you haven't got any kids? As I said, hardly practical when compared to a hot hatch.

Yes, I carry lots of stuff - rucksack, laptop, packed lunch - it is very practical, you don't lose any boot space when the roof is down either.

No, I don't have any demon spawn.

Yes, I carry lots of stuff - rucksack, laptop, packed lunch

Just not all 3 at the same time :D

- it is very practical, you don't lose any boot space when the roof is down either.

No, I don't have any demon spawn.

So maybe practical for a single person or a couple that only want to carry a couple of items, not practical for most when compared to a hatchback.

As I mentioned in the first post - we already have a Mini Cooper S Convertible - which is a toy car with no boot space but is much loved. It works for commuting and weekends but my car has to be able to do a long trip or two with at least 3 passengers and a boot full of luggage. That's why we bought a Golf GTi :D

Got my Ford S Max 2.5 T for 5 people and lots of luggage! Engine silky and eager.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom