Hot Denon DVD Player... Self inflicted!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by iron_lifter, Jan 17, 2008.

1. iron_lifter

iron_lifter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For a few weeks Iv had my Denon 1940 DVD player inside a TV cabinet with closed doors close to my Virgin media V+ box (Virgin cables version of Sky HD)

The Virgin V+ box runs quite hot like the Sky HD box and I recently put my hand on the Denon after playing a movie and the case was very warm. I don't mean so hot you couldn't touch it but very warm.

I looked in the Denon manual and found it states that you should leave 10cm around the player for proper heat disspersal and keep it away from other heat sources OPPS!! :(

Well now I leave the cabinet door open and turn off the V+ box when using the Denon but I wonder.....

How would I know if any componants in the Denon DVD player have been hurt or damaged in any way due to over heating? The player turns on fine, it plays fine with a great picture so... Id assume no harm done? Are there any tests I can run to see if the player is performing as it should? Does anyone know how an over heating DVD player reacts... symptoms etc?

Any advice or thoughts from those with a decent understanding of moden electronics would be greatly appreciated!? Thx

2. gblades

gblades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Electronic components have two ratings. One is the maximum which they will work at and another which is the maximum before damage will occur and there is typically a large difference between the two (less so for computer processors).

If the DVD player hasnt crashed when playing a DVD then you havent reached the lower limit so certenly no damage has occured. If there is permanant damage then it must have got very hot inside and would be misbehaving all the time (once warmed up).

The working lifespan of components is reduced the hotter they get and this is the primary reason for a lot of these ratings with regard to operating temperatures. They will normally work fine at higher temperatures but the life of the components will be reduced.
    Most failures caused by running at elevated temperatures are due to components called capacitors. The electrolytic type which contains liquid and is most commonly found in power supplies can dry up inside over time. This process is accelerated with higher temperatures.

3. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have a Denon 2910 which has always ran what I would class as, very hot, and it has been kept on an open stand. After watching a film the disks when ejected can be alarmingly hot. But apart from being a bit funny over playing certain disks, it's still going strong. I seem to recall that others have mentioned similar experiences.

4. iron_lifter

iron_lifter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx gblades for your help. May I clarify? Your saying that an electrical componant has

No. 1/ max operating temp (within limits)
    No. 2/ max temp for damage to occur

And that temp No. 2 is quite a bit higher than temp No. 1?

So does this mean so long the player hasnt crashed then its not even reached the "max operating temp" (No. 1) ?

Id take this to mean that so long the players working fine (and it is) then no damage has occured?
    And also may I ask, what would you class as "misbehaving" if heat damage has or does occur?

Thx my friend for your advice

5. gblades

gblades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Correct on your first two questions. Yes components have a max operating temperature and higher temperature where damage can occur. This is normally for components which generate heat. Take a computer processor for example. If it overheats the PC will crash but if you remove the heat sink it will overheat so much it will damage itself (modern processor have protection circuitry to shut themselves down if they overheat).

Yes so long as the player is working fine then there is no damage. Given that a DVD player has no high power components there is nothing to really be instantly damaged by running too hot. It may crash or have picture corruption if too hot but wont cause it to suddenly stop working forever.

As I mentioned earlier the most noticeable effect will be premature aging of some components typically the capacitors. Generally when they go they refuse to work when cold and these components are typically used in power supplies. Therefore running the equipment for long periods while too hot if anything will cause a fault where it will refuse to switch on due to a failed power supply.