Horror films for kids?...

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whilst entertaining, my friends kids of an evening, generally given a chance, they want to go off and watch horror films.

Age about 11 to 15ish.

Any suggestions (maybe slightly age inappropriate at a pinch would work)?
No way I'd do 'Hostel' and that sort of thing!

What surprises me is how much young kids love old stuff like 'The Shining' and 'Jaws'.

:)

Last edited:
Maybe go for some of the classic comedy horror films like
The Lost Boys
Zombieland

Or what about the TV series Supernatural?

p.s Surely if ever there was a GC thread that should be posted in here...:p

Jaws scared the pants off me when I was about 11yrs old.

The Others, Woman In Black, Amityville Horror, Poltergeist. I can't remember anything too adult in those films.

American Werewolf in London would've been great as well if not for the sex/soho scenes in it.

I Know What You Did Last Summer, Scream. Maybe Scream is a bit too stabby stabby, but at least the setting and characters might be a little relatable and fun in those movies.

World War Z is not to bad for younger horror fans, not to sweary and fairly bloodless. Jaws gets another vote from me, I can't believe it's only a 12 now. How about the original Poltergeist too?

If they like The Shining, how about something like Misery?

I found The Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (one with Donald Sutherland) quite scary when I was a kid.

Arachnophobia - Just typing that gave me the creeps lol.
Sixth Sense
Disturbia

Maybe they'd like to watch horror at your house because they wouldn't be allowed to at home.. Speak to their parents first.
I know I'd not be impressed if my kid wasn't allowed something then went and took liberties with someone else to get it

Yeah, my lad can't handle horror yet, but my daughter can (older) she has enjoyed the likes of insidious and drag me to hell recently. Kids may try it on away from parents as Shodan says, so ensure parents are happy with the films you want to show. I know we'd veto certain films for our lad even though big sister is fine with it.

I'd definitely agree with shodan.

If someone showed some of the films suggested to my kids aged 11-15 I'd be very unhappy.

I watched IT when I was about 13 (I think it is a 15 certificate) scared the bejesus out of me.

Maybe they'd like to watch horror at your house because they wouldn't be allowed to at home.. Speak to their parents first.
I know I'd not be impressed if my kid wasn't allowed something then went and took liberties with someone else to get it

I remember when I was around 8 years old me and my mate used to take it in turns staying at each others house every Friday where we'd eat loads of sweets and watch a film.

Films at my house consisted of Uncle Buck, Roger Rabbit and Big

Films at my mates house were Hellraiser, Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween.

My Mum wasn't impressed when she eventually found out, nor would I be if my kids were shown films like this when they reach 8.

I loved it though.

Scary films I watched and enjoyed/was terrified: Misery/The Fly (Cronenburg)/IT/Halloween/Bodysnatchers (er Sutherland)

Last edited:
Still dislike Freddie, affects my sleep. Jaws, fear deep water. IT, clowns. Never got scared from Halloween, driller killer, piranhas, The Omen.

Not so much a horror but quite dark and I'd imagine pretty scary for youngish children and enjoyable the whe family is Coroline, an animation.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom