Horror Express Blu-ray Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Chris McEneany, 24th November 2011.
Hop aboard the Trans-Siberian Express for a showdown with a brain-sucking beast from beyond the Tsars! Be thrilled at such wild entertainment as the Raving Rasputin with his terrifying omens and proclamations, and the Crazy Cossack who is quick with a whip and handier with an automatic. Dine in style with either a beautiful spy or a ravishing Countess, or just enjoy witty and articulate conversation with two of England’s finest scientists-cum-monster-slayers. With hundreds of miles to travel across a frozen wilderness, our onboard performances are sure to astound and excite. There’s never a dull moment on Horror’s answer to the Orient Express.

It’s the fast-track to mystery, death, hairy-hands, zombies and glaring white-eyed madness as an alien entity runs amok and disturbs the joy-de-vivre of the endless Steppe. You can’t trust anyone when the alien essence invades human flesh, so it’s great for that Agatha Christie-themed excursion. Not so much a whodunit as a who's-doing-it-now?

Severin release a cult classic chiller that has more clever ideas in it than you might think. They spruce up a film that has always looked terrible but, in so doing, create a few new problems along the way. Digital gremlins muck about and conspire to derail the good intentions of bringing this cherished genre gem to Blu-ray, but the movie still looks far better than it ever has before, and the assembly of interesting extras is made all the more valuable for the inclusion of the feature-length audio interview with the great Peter Cushing. Personally, it is worth getting the disc for this alone, but the zany Spanish/British co-production offers an irresistible combination of thrills, chills and preposterous theorising that just cannot be beaten. Throw in one of the most eerie and haunting scores from the seventies and you have a winning ticket. If only they hadn’t come off the tracks with the transfer!

Read the full review...

OneEyedStuart

Distinguished Member
Another stunning review Chris... spat my coffee out when I read this though... "...brain-sucking beast from beyond the Tsars" :rotfl:

Nice one dude.

KH

Marky1973

Great review and one of my favourites from when I was a kid!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom