horrible sticky keff eggs, not any more, take a look.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by superspark, Feb 22, 2014.

1. superspark

superspark
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone, i like many people have had the same issues with my kef eggs becoming sticky and down right horrible. So i set to, took them apart, cleaned them, then went one step further and polished the brackets. This took about 1hr per speaker, i used household items, i think they look the business. If you want to try it on yours drop me a line, i'll tell you how. Here's the before and after pics.

2014-02-17 21.48.41.jpg 1393056205969.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. Silverblack

Silverblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    Wow they've come up a treat, they look brand new good job.

3. wiz

wiz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,137
    Great job!
    Cant you just post on here how you did it?

4. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,390
    Try this LINK

5. superspark

superspark
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Here goes, sorry if it gets long winded.
    1.How to take it all apart.
    First you need to remove the wall mount from the speaker with a 4mm allen key. Then disassemble the wall mount again with the 4mm allen key so you have the metal cover on its own. Then remove the rear of the speaker (4mm allen key) it might take a good pull to part the seperate the speaker in two. Disconnect the speaker wires from the rear section using an 8mm socket. Remove the cradle and cone unit from the front plate using a posidrive screwdriver. Carefully remove sponge padding. You now have the front, rear and the cover from the wall mount all stripped of speaker internals.

2.THIS NEXT PART WILL START TO REMOVE THE PAINT FROM THE MOUNT COVER.!!! IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO REMOVE THE PAINT, DO DO SOAK THE MOUNT IN WATER
    Fill a bowl or the kitchen sink with hot water,as hot as you can stand, but don't scald yourself!
    Put the front,rear and mount cover in the water and leave for 5mins.
    After 5mins remove the front and rear sections, leave the mount cover in the water. Your speakers will now be grey,this grey skin is what you need to remove,this is what creates the rubber effect but it has to go.

3. Next you need some sort of degreaser,i used 'elbow grease' bought from Asda,B&M,home bargins etc for a couple of quid.( this is a post from the uk for a change).
    Soak the front and rear sections with the elbow grease,leave for about 20mins.
    Using a soft cloth soaked with the elbow grease gentley rub the parts,the grey skin should quickly start to rub off. If you don't use the degreaser it will just smuge. If the grey skin starts to become difficult to remove then soak back in the hot water for a few mins and repeat. It shouldn't take long to clean all 3 parts.
    When you think youv'e removed all the grey gunk soak in hot water again, any that youv'e missed will show up as grey marks. When its totally clean you should get no grey after soaking in the hot water.
    Rinse with clean water and leave to dry.

4. Remove the mount cover from the hot water, the black paint will have softend, you should be able to peel the paint off leaving the bare brushed alloy, if you have a hand held steamer( £15 from ebay) you can use this to strip it in about 1 minute.
    Once the mount is completely stripped simply use metal polish to bring to a high mirror finish. This takes seconds believe it or not. But the longer you spend the better it will be.

5. In true harry haynes style, reassemble is reversal of removal.
    Be sure it's all dry before reassemble, it might be worth wiping the cone as mine were a little dirty,but be VERY VERY careful NOT to damage the centre dome.

You should be left with brand new looking speakers with no rubbery coating that look a million $.

Attached Files:

6. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,436
    What made them get so sticky??

7. Iain42

Iain42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,185
    Absolutely brilliant job!

well done, and thanks for sharing.

8. superspark

superspark
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The speakers come from the factory with a rubber coating, after time this coating seems to soften and become sticky. Its a common problem with these speakers. There are a number of posts on the web about this, others are using thinners etc to clean the sticky mess off. I just used what i had in the house.

9. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,436
    Yikes, even the new versions?

If I had known that, I wouldn't have bought them.

10. Iain42

Iain42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,185
    I think this only applies to the matt ones, gloss ones stay shiny for years, and I suspect if they're new they're more likely to be gloss finish.

11. superspark

superspark
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    it shouldn't happen to the new speakers. i don't think they have the rubberised finish.

12. superspark

superspark
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just so everyone is clear my kefs didn't come with polished bases. I stripped them and polished them with brasso.

13. Blump

Blump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I used cellulose thinners from halfords which is what the 'kef sticky situation' chap on youtube recommened, took me all of this afternoon to do them but one 250ml tin and a bed sheet later they're like new.

Oh, if there are any kef owners here I just created a thread about the allen key screw type, so I would be very pleased to get a reply there :D