Horrible experience with LG repair service

jianglai

Novice Member
I bought a 77-inch GX at the end of December last year. The TV came about a week later and I paid for professionally installation because it needs to be wall mounted. I used it for about a week and it is dead -- it won't turn on and pressing the power button would just cause the screen to flash white and made a clicking sound.

I bought the TV on Amazon through a third party vendor, so I contacted them on Amazon to have it exchanged. They told me no can do because I don't have the packaging any more. I am a bit upset because who keeps a 77-inch TV's box in an NYC apartment after making sure it works for a few days. They said if they were to take it back I'll have to pay $600 restocking fee.

I thought that's not the end of the world because the TV is clearly under warranty. So I contacted LG. LG contracted some local technician to come and replace the logic board a week later -- there was a delay in shipping the board, so I had to wait for a week.

The tech came, replaced the board, but still no luck. He thought the problem was with the power assembly unit with where all the capacitors are. He took a photo, sent it to his people, and told me that the parts are backordered so I'll need to wait for up to 2 weeks. If I don't hear from them in 2 weeks, call them and they'll submit a request to LG to replace the unit.

Obviously I was upset because I've now paid more than $4k to have a giant slab of dead screen sitting on my couch -- it needed to be unmounted for the repair. I'll probably have to pay someone to help me mount it when it is fixed. So I contacted the vendor again and vented all the problems. They said they want to do good by me and they are one of the biggest vendors for LG on the east coast so they had some pull. They asked for my case number and said they'll escalate with LG.

One week passed and they still haven't heard anything back from LG. I tried calling LG and I've must spent more than 3 hours on the phone with them at this point. I spoke to like 6 or 7 different people from different department, and was able to have them create a refund/exchange case for me because they told me the parts won’t be ready till March. After I uploaded the receipt, I called again but now I'm being told all sorts of conflicting information.

All of them told me that it'll take another 7 business days for my case to be reviewed. At this point I'd be without a TV for more than 3 weeks. After that they don't know what's gonna happen. I've been told:

1. I'll buy a box from Home Depot or whatnot and LG will reimburse me the money, and then I ship the TV back.
  2. LG will ship me a box to ship the TV back.
  3. Because I bought it on Amazon from this vendor, they cannot do exchange so the best they can do is a refund. This is kind of ridiculous because if it depends on the vendor I'd try to work with the vendor.
  4. They have a procedure to return the TV without its original packaging, but they can't tell me what it is until my case is approved.
  5. I even asked if I can buy the same TV from a different vendor (the vendor that I originally bought from have the TV on backorder), use it in the meantime, and return the broken TV in the new TV's box. And the rep doesn't know if that'll work. I was a bit mad at this point because a box from Home Depot would work but a box for the same model from a different vendor wouldn't?
  6. It'll take 7 business days to approve, and after that up to 7 weeks for full resolution, whatever that means. I guess that means me receiving a replacement or a refund?
I do like this TV (when it works), and I really don't want to return it and deal with the damages on my wall. But it looks like all signs point to me not able to get even my money back for another month or so, not to mention to get a exchange. I sometimes say to myself maybe I should just wait it out and buy the G1. Also the price of GX dropped like $300 between when I bought it and now, so I basically spent $300 more for one week of watching and countless hours of complaining on the phone.

The vendor says they are still working with their LG contact but honestly I'm not hopeful. Not that I don't trust the vendor, but given my experience with LG, they don't seem to know what they are doing and they definitely don't know what is a good customer experience.

I guess the moral of the story is, keep your TV box as long as you can...

Last edited:

fluxedman

Sounds insane and silly regarding the box, but maybe they feel damage to the screen can occur. At least you got somewhere better from LG.

I had a similar case with LG, 7-8 weeks waited for a tv repair which never occurred due to lack of parts and engineer but they wrote it off luckily. Hope you get it resolved, maybe you are better off with a refund and fresh start after just perhaps go directly through a retailer or amazon direct next time.

I think its difficult due to Covid and lock downs, we are seeing more and more delays, parts and lack of engineers to repair things and obviously right now the TV is the main thing for entertainment, I think finding reliable TVs that work more then a month or two is highly important right now, not sure its OLED or LG CX series though.

Think ill look at getting back ups for all stuff around the house!

jianglai

Novice Member
Sounds insane and silly regarding the box, but maybe they feel damage to the screen can occur. At least you got somewhere better from LG.

I had a similar case with LG, 7-8 weeks waited for a tv repair which never occurred due to lack of parts and engineer but they wrote it off luckily. Hope you get it resolved, maybe you are better off with a refund and fresh start after just perhaps go directly through a retailer or amazon direct next time.

I think its difficult due to Covid and lock downs, we are seeing more and more delays, parts and lack of engineers to repair things and obviously right now the TV is the main thing for entertainment, I think finding reliable TVs that work more then a month or two is highly important right now, not sure its OLED or LG CX series though.

Think ill look at getting back ups for all stuff around the house!

Can you explain what you meant by "write it off"? Did they just refund you the money without asking you to to return the TV? How long it take for them to do it for you? After waiting 8 weeks for parts?

fluxedman

Can you explain what you meant by "write it off"? Did they just refund you the money without asking you to to return the TV? How long it take for them to do it for you? After waiting 8 weeks for parts?

Yes, basically it took LG too long to repair my faulty LGCX OLED (almost 2 months) not sure about world wide or US LG, am from UK but the UK LG support helpdesk team basically took my email to management or team leader who then asked LG admin department to create an uplift code or RMA number sometimes its known as.

I got emailed an letter from LG with my uplift code/rma number who I then forward email to my retailer company who I bought the TV from and they can refund/exchange me directly once they get my faulty TV back.

Retailer will arrange to collect my TV, (I have the box though). LG did say If I have the box better but they should provide one.

Am in the first year, LG OLED CX was just over 2 months before it broke down.

Not sure about your exact laws but in UK we have consumer regulations ACT so retailers and manufacturers have to honour repairs and refunds regardless of boxes and issues, it maybe different on your side of the pond.

jianglai

Novice Member
UPDATE: I’ve given up. LG customer service is a clusterf**k. Some rep told me the part is ready today, some said tomorrow, some said in two weeks, some said there’s no part because refund is approved, some said refund is cancelled because I asked to wait for the part.

Filed a claim with Amex and let them deal with LG and the seller. Too bad I still have this giant dead slab of a TV occupying half of my couch and an empty bracket mounted on the wall. Dispute will probably take another month or so but at least I don’t have to deal with this crap anymore. What waste of time.

James1977

Novice Member
I Have had a similar experience not impressed.
12 September 2020 I purchased the new LG SN11 7.1.4 Wireless Sound Bar with Dolby Atmos, in November I was experiencing issues sound dropping out and one of the rear speakers stopped working all together. There is no diagnostic software in any LG apps for a price tag of £1,300.00 flagship device you would have expected it.

Anyway, Curry’s won’t help, have to go via LG, no phone support to find, registered an online support ticket, two weeks later I receive a call for the support in January, Christmas holidays, I guess.

Had to book a repair as there was no offer of advanced replacements or onsite support.

Receive a text from a currier (Panther) for a delivery on the 4th of January. Really helps that all LG and Panther emails go straight to junk, the format is terrible. Flight Case arrives, next day it is collected in the afternoon.

Following Monday, I receive a text from LG the unit is being sent out today, Tuesday 11th January mid-afternoon it is returned, happy that was very quick. 10 minutes later after I have unpacked the unit, I find there is no change to the unit whatsoever, engineers note in box stated the rear speaker was replaced.

I phone the customer service number on the engineers note and asked what’s next. During the call I find the faulty speaker now has a dent in the front. Now very unhappy, it still does not work and worse than it was.

The soundbar has not be back to LG repair centre even though Panther has been to collect it 3 times, twice with a box two small and the third time no box, this was on the 26 January.

I requested to be passed on to someone higher, I spoke to a customer service team leader who called me on the 5th of February, and basically, he will only repair it, I asked him to guarantee it will be repaired this time, and I was promised. I complained about the number of days I have had to arrange to be at home, he suggested I took it somewhere else like work, not impressed, no box and its huge, how do I do that?

Today, I phoned LG customer service, to receive an update, the agent couldn’t help me and has passed me back up the chain, I guess I’ll be waiting another week for this to fail.

Completely lost all faith and confidence with LG and will be calling Curry’s and credit card company as the sound bar is not fit for purpose and neither is LG.

fluxedman

12 September 2020 I purchased the new LG SN11 7.1.4 Wireless Sound Bar with Dolby Atmos, in November I was experiencing issues sound dropping out and one of the rear speakers stopped working all together. There is no diagnostic software in any LG apps for a price tag of £1,300.00 flagship device you would have expected it.

Anyway, Curry’s won’t help, have to go via LG, no phone support to find, registered an online support ticket, two weeks later I receive a call for the support in January, Christmas holidays, I guess.

Had to book a repair as there was no offer of advanced replacements or onsite support.

Receive a text from a currier (Panther) for a delivery on the 4th of January. Really helps that all LG and Panther emails go straight to junk, the format is terrible. Flight Case arrives, next day it is collected in the afternoon.

Following Monday, I receive a text from LG the unit is being sent out today, Tuesday 11th January mid-afternoon it is returned, happy that was very quick. 10 minutes later after I have unpacked the unit, I find there is no change to the unit whatsoever, engineers note in box stated the rear speaker was replaced.

I phone the customer service number on the engineers note and asked what’s next. During the call I find the faulty speaker now has a dent in the front. Now very unhappy, it still does not work and worse than it was.

The soundbar has not be back to LG repair centre even though Panther has been to collect it 3 times, twice with a box two small and the third time no box, this was on the 26 January.

I requested to be passed on to someone higher, I spoke to a customer service team leader who called me on the 5th of February, and basically, he will only repair it, I asked him to guarantee it will be repaired this time, and I was promised. I complained about the number of days I have had to arrange to be at home, he suggested I took it somewhere else like work, not impressed, no box and its huge, how do I do that?

Today, I phoned LG customer service, to receive an update, the agent couldn’t help me and has passed me back up the chain, I guess I’ll be waiting another week for this to fail.

Completely lost all faith and confidence with LG and will be calling Curry’s and credit card company as the sound bar is not fit for purpose and neither is LG.

Sounds terrible, If the repairs gone well over a month and no repairs been successful I would remind LG they have been unsuccessful in the repair and its gone over what is a reasonable amount of repair time so you want an uplift RMA number from the LG admin department so you can get a new one from currys, usually someone higher up management from LG side needs to do this but maybe a CA may. If you get that far and they do RMA it and provide a uplift number you can then give it to currys for a refund or exchange.

And if they can't or wont do it try speaking to someone higher up at Currys and explain LG can't repair it and its been too long of a repair time also so you wish to return the faulty unit and refund/exchange it, it is the consumer regulations law after all.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Repair and courier companies basically have no respect for people's stuff. Even if you return something in its original packaging it comes back messed up. Recently, I sent a Panasonic BR player away for a fault repair after having it for about three months. It came back covered in scratches and greasy fingerprints, yet when I packed it it was in pristine condition. The shop that I bought it from wouldn't help as they claimed that the 'before' pictures that I took weren't clear enough to prove that it hadn't been damaged by me. The bottom line is this: there's no point paying the earth for consumer electronics. Better to take the view that if product 'X' goes wrong write it off and start again, so buy cheap. I've never had anything returned to me after a repair that wasn't in a worse state than when it left me.

James1977

Novice Member
Sounds terrible, If the repairs gone well over a month and no repairs been successful I would remind LG they have been unsuccessful in the repair and its gone over what is a reasonable amount of repair time so you want an uplift RMA number from the LG admin department so you can get a new one from currys, usually someone higher up management from LG side needs to do this but maybe a CA may. If you get that far and they do RMA it and provide a uplift number you can then give it to currys for a refund or exchange.

And if they can't or wont do it try speaking to someone higher up at Currys and explain LG can't repair it and its been too long of a repair time also so you wish to return the faulty unit and refund/exchange it, it is the consumer regulations law after all.
Thanks for the advise Fluxedman, I will see where I get and let you know.

rpr

If you bought it from Curry's then your contract is with them and it's up to them to sort it out not for you to be passed to someone else.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom