Horrible banding on top streaming services

JonnyTester

I got a hankering for some Mandalorian in HDR and Atmos yesterday. So I fired up the family (HA!) Xbox One S, started the Disney+ app, and settled down. The first episode started, and I was very impressed with the picture quality (the Atmos audio, not so great). But then it came to the part where the hero lands on Arvala-7/Tatooine to collect The Kid, and the sunny blue sky descended into horrible pixellated bands, instead of a solid, multitone vista. I was horrified. So I checked out animated flick Over The Moon on Netflix. It had the same pixellated banding. Before kicking the Xbox all around the room, I tried the BluRay of Avatar extended edition, and all sky shots were perfect.

Thinking it might have been down to low wifi bandwidth on the Xbox, I tried the Nvidia Shield with the same streaming apps, only to find that it suffered from the same banding. Just to make sure, I downloaded the first spisode of the Mandalorian series in 4K HDR with Atmos sound, and played it on Kodi on the Shield. And the sky scenes were perfect.

So it seems that it must be down to the streaming services. I can't remember the Mandalorian having such a bad picture when I first watched it. In fact almost all the movies and tv we watch is on Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Disney+ and I have never noticed it being so bad before. I had heard way back when the first lockdown kicked in, that bandwidth on streaming services were being pared back. But I took it with a pinch of salt. So is that whet he problem is, or has the picture quality of streaming services always been so bad?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Please post the following information:

Season #
Ep #
Timestamp

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Season one, episode one. Look at around the 22m mark, from the ship first lands.

Will check and let you know but note that it could be down to source material or due to poor compression.

There are so many films on disc with healthy bit rates that exhibits banding and other artifacts which means its there at source.

JonnyTester

Will check and let you know but note that it could be down to source material or due to poor compression.

There are so many films on disc with healthy bit rates that exhibits banding and other artifacts which means its there at source.

Of course. But you would expect a download of the same source to exhibit at least some of the issues evident on the streaming version. And when I checked my Xbox out yesterday, its actually a gigabit lan connection and not wifi, as I previously thought.

shotokan101

Suspended
Of course. But you would expect a download of the same source to exhibit at least some of the issues evident on the streaming version. And when I checked my Xbox out yesterday, its actually a gigabit lan connection and not wifi, as I previously thought.

Why ?

The download could be full size - how long is the episode and what size is the download?

shotokan101

Suspended

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Zero banding on my Panasonic 65GZ1000 OLED on that scene.

ATV was showing Average bit rate: 17 Mbps / Peak bit rate: 28 Mbps

Around that timestamp bit rate was around 15-17 Mbps.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom