1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horizontal scan lines - should they be visible? (Panasonic TX36PL32)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Raze, Sep 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've just bought this set and wanted to know your opinion on something.

The TV is showing horizontal scan lines in PAL progressive scan, these are quite evident on a light picture, such as a white background or a light blue sky, or pure colour.

I bought a phillips DVD a couple of days ago but and noticed this prob, but thought it was the DVD player. Anyway went out and got a Toshiba 150e today but the problem is still there.

I can get a better picture with scart (but shows flicker)

OR I can change the output of the DVD to NTSC which seems to get rid of almost all visible scan lines.

I will have another test later on, but just wondered if anyone has experience of this? I purchased it purely for progressive scan playback :(

2. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    OK just an update.

Can't get rid of the horizontal scan lines when in Pal progressive, switching to NTSC lessons them a bit, but introduces 'moire' on left and right sides.

Using scart pretty much gets rid of them, but you then get slight flicker (which is normal for scart).

I'm going to ask for a refund as I bought it to use a progressive scan unit :(

3. dsbaker

dsbaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Raze

You shouldn't be getting scan lines - I never had them in either PAL or NTSC. Could be a dodgy set.

You're not in Dynamic mode are you?

4. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It shows in all modes, dynamic, cinema and normal :(

By scart they are still visble if you really look out for them but otherwise a decent pic. But the whole point of me getting this TV was to utilize prog scan.

It's not the dvd player because I used two brand new different brands and the current dvd player is brilliant (tosh 150e).

Shame because I didn't want to spend any more as it was meant to be a make do until hdtv came out...

5. dsbaker

dsbaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really think you could have a faulty set. I would get in touch with Currys.

This is a top-end, fully progressive TV which retailed at around £1200 when it first came out. You shouldn't have those scan lines.

6. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah I think so too. Am going to call them tomorrow - will keep you posted...