1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

horizontal scan lines during verticle panning

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mark zwern, Nov 1, 2003.

1. mark zwern

mark zwern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic l-300 U In my last post I asked if anyone had suffered from the same problem. seems that there are quite a few. Some say the scan lines are indicative to lcd technology. some say the scaler on this unit is subpar. Strange thing is , is that they mostly go away after warmup. Would adding an outboard scaler do me any good. The folks at I scan werent sure . They did say that they had a thirty day return policy. I guess I have nothing to lose. They told me I would need to use there 15 pin output.
    Any thoughts?

2. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If you bob your head up and down a few feet in front of the screen you can invoke the effect which to me would indicate its an optical effect (lenses, smoothscreen crystal etc)rather than anything to do with the scaler. Slight defocus completely gets rid of it for me.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: Defocus WITH "softscreen" :eek:

Bet I could get my HS10 to look like an AE300 if I defocussed it enough :p

;)

4. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Must download a light-hearted middle finger salute smiley :D

5. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed this too. Once the PJ has warmed up scan lines seem to become less of an issue. Can't explain this though:confused:

6. popeckia

popeckia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it you have checked out the flicker tweak option in the service menu?

The problem of the horizontal lines, seems entirely linked (for me at least) to the amount of flicker you have when you go into the flicker tweak menu option.... and this is 99% of the time down to the green panel.

If you set this value when the projector is cold, it will be at one number, but as the projector warms up, the least flicker will be found on another value.

The key from my perspective is to set the value appropriately once the projector has fully warmed up, and then just "deal with it" when it's cold until it has warmed up, which is only a case of a few minutes.

I don't find a de-focus is appropriate at all for this issue. Like was mentioned above, the smoothscreen rather handles this for you anyway (although from the way people talk, you would assume that even a perfectly focussed AE300 was a big blurry mess!).

7. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    popeckia - So I guess that scan lines are less of an issue once the PJ is warmed up as I must of set the "flicker tweak" when the projector was warm:smashin:

8. mark zwern

mark zwern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    almost purchased an H-S 10 until I was able to view both. I preferred the picture on the panasonic over the HS -10. there was more picture structure apparent on the hs-10. Also the repair record for the sony is horrible. Bonus Panny is cheaper.
    Maybe you ought to defocus yours?

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, undoubtedly Panasonic's "softscreen" technology reduces the pixel structure, same as defocussing does on any projector.

Certainly appears to be the case in the US (even in Texas where one of Sony's regional repair centres is located IIRC).

Indeed. You pays your money & you makes your choice :)

& loose out on all that gorgeous resolution? :p :p

Calibos is a fellow Irish member & it's customary here for us Irish peeps to engage in occassional (& good humoured) "slagging". Didn't intend to cause offence to any AE300 owners :)

HS10 is still the better projector though :smashin:

10. popeckia

popeckia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    smoothscreen does not equal de-focus. A perfectly focussed AE300 still gives a pretty crisp image, but with reduced screendoor effect. Sure it's not a perfect technology, but I've had an AE100 that needed defocussing, and the effects were far more damaging to the picture quality than the AE300 smoothscreen effect to produce the same amount of screendoor negation.

... and as mentioned, without wishing to get into a pissing contest, the AE300 is quieter, has a much better repair record (unlike it's prdecessor of course) and is a lot less noisy... oh, and physically smaller.