• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Horizontal lines on new tv

michaelsf90

Novice Member
I've had a hisense h50u7buk for a few days. Today I've noticed these horizontal lines across the screen. It's more obvious when the screen is black but you can also see it on normal tv scenes. I have emailed hicense to wait and see what they say

However when messing I've realised the lines come on when my sky q is paused or when it is fast forward or rewound and the length of programme menu thing comes on at the bottom. Has anyone experienced this or any ideas. Its rather annoying when it's a new tele

Attachments

• 20200817_205214.jpg
    20200817_205214.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 1,641

michaelsf90

Novice Member
I purchased it off ao.com. I have gone on to the returns on their site and it says to get in touch with the manufacturer. I have got in touch with hisense. Just need to see what they say. Was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I have however found it only appears that bad when sky q is paused or rewound or fast forward. I'm wondering if its something to do with the tv and sky q. My old tele never did it anyway

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
How old is it, sounds like it is under 30 days. If so contact the retailer, AO in this case to return it as faulty. They have to refund or repair in the first 30 days assuming it is faulty. Don't let them fob you off to manufacturer.

michaelsf90

Novice Member
I got it Thursday! You know when you think its brand new and I dont need this ****. So you think I should ring AO and explain. I have emailed them but it can take 3 days to reply. I best dig the box out of the bin!

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
I've had a hisense h50u7buk for a few days. Today I've noticed these horizontal lines across the screen. It's more obvious when the screen is black but you can also see it on normal tv scenes. I have emailed hicense to wait and see what they say

However when messing I've realised the lines come on when my sky q is paused or when it is fast forward or rewound and the length of programme menu thing comes on at the bottom. Has anyone experienced this or any ideas. Its rather annoying when it's a new tele

This isn't a fault with your set it happens on all sets. It does look more noticeable on yours than my Sony but the lines are some form of distortion created by the Sky Q when you pause the image. They disappear when you press play.

michaelsf90

Novice Member
Is there some kind of workaround for it? I have turned out game mode, adaptive contrast, dimming, motion settings etc. Turning adaptive contrast off makes it less noticeable. I'm gutted as its actually quite a decent picture. Viewing angle is shocking tho. I contacted AO who went through a view things and told me to contact hisense. I'm worried that it's a fault that will get worse

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
It doesn't happen on my set.

Just to clarify is it supposed to be a black screen, or is there a picture there that is not displaying too?

AO are fobbing you off if they are telling you to go to Hisense unless they are wanting verification of the fault. Their own T&Cs state

If a fault is confirmed within 30 days of delivery, just let us know and you’ll be able to return it for a full refund, or have it repaired or replaced

If you are not happy you could return it under the Consumer Contract Regulations. Notify you want to return it within 14 days of delivery and you have a further 14 days to return it (possibly at your cost). I think they allow 30 days in their T&Cs but they cannot be worse than what the CCR states.

michaelsf90

Novice Member
It come up in like a gap between an advert and a programme. Paused it to wait for the wife to sit down and saw them and was like what's that. Once the menu at the bottom of the picture with the programme time on etc goes off the lines disappear. I think currys do the same as ao. Once you have tried fault diagnosis with the manufacturer they will then replace or refund. I think until the manufacturer says it needs replacing they wont commit. I could return it but I'd get 50% of what I paid because it's been used. It's like going to the manufacturer is proving its faulty. That's my guess anyway

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I could return it but I'd get 50% of what I paid because it's been used. It's like going to the manufacturer is proving its faulty. That's my guess anyway

Where are you getting that figure from?

You are protected under the CCR which they acknowledge on their website but do give a further period. In addition, I would expect if you have used it a few times to check it works, but are not happy then a full refund. This assumes you have kept the original packaging.

Cancellation
If you're not happy with your product or you’ve simply changed your mind, you’ll need to let us know within 100 days of delivery to receive a refund (this is longer than outlined in your statutory rights, which gives you a 14 day time frame). We’re happy for you to unpack the appliance and have a proper look at it. However, if you have used the product or had it installed, we may not be able to sell it to someone else. This means that where the value of the product is reduced by your use, we may only make a partial refund, or charge you for the reduction in value. If you have not used the product and it is returned to us in the original packaging, you will receive a full refund. Your refund will be made within 14 days of collection of the appliance.

To cancel a product and request collection please call 0161 470 1200. We'll collect your product free of charge

michaelsf90

Novice Member
It says that on ao returns. That's another thing. The box is in the bin. I can dig that out. All the polystyrene is gone tho etc. If it is a setting that can be fixed I'm happy to keep the tele as it's a good picture and very good sound for a modern tele. If it can't be fixed then they will have to refund me. It's just going through the process I guess

michaelsf90

Novice Member
That's what I mean they will class it as used. Unfortunately for me. Unless I go through the process of proving its faulty

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
It doesn't say anything about 50% on the returns that would be completely unreasonable, however, you have disposed of most of the original packaging so would be a charge. 50% is not a reasonable charge though.

Thing is what you have got might not be caused by a fault as demonstrated by Hisense, I hope it is because I would not be happy.

michaelsf90

Novice Member
That's the kind of small print in that picture. I hope it can be rectified or I wont be happy either! The ball is now rolling tho

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
That is specifically the terms for their 100 day returns policy, which can say that.

However in the first 14 days you can exercise your rights under the CCR. They cannot introduce new terms that detriment that. A 50% reduction would not be legal in this case

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Is there some kind of workaround for it? I have turned out game mode, adaptive contrast, dimming, motion settings etc. Turning adaptive contrast off makes it less noticeable. I'm gutted as its actually quite a decent picture. Viewing angle is shocking tho. I contacted AO who went through a view things and told me to contact hisense. I'm worried that it's a fault that will get worse

It's not a fault, it's just something to do with the Sky Q box. I didn't see this on my old Sky box but noticed it once we got Sky Q (same television throughout). It's not a pronounced as on yours so maybe the inner workings of televisions can reduce this effect. But it's not a fault with the television so you will see the same on a replacement and on other brands. I suppose the true test is to watch content through other sources, Netflix app, console, dvd etc. If you are still getting the same issue then it must be a fault with the set but I bet you wont.

michaelsf90

Novice Member
I'm confident it is also the sky q box. Is it the tele trying to upscale etc. It is rather strange. Basically I want hisense to tell me if their is anyway to reduce it or if it's just something we have to put up with. If anyone has any ideas on what would make it not as noticeable

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
I'm confident it is also the sky q box. Is it the tele trying to upscale etc. It is rather strange. Basically I want hisense to tell me if their is anyway to reduce it or if it's just something we have to put up with. If anyone has any ideas on what would make it not as noticeable

I suspect it is something that Sky need to address, so don't hold your breath there. Is it so much of an issue as it's only evident when you pause anyway? When I first saw it on my set I feared an issue but never notice it now.

michaelsf90

Novice Member
In the grand scheme of things it probably isn't. I think it shocked me because it's new. I also think it's because I've bit the bullet and gone with hisense as I've had lg and Samsung and not been too impressed. The Panasonic I had downstairs was amazing. The picture was the best I've ever had but it isn't 4k. So that is now in the kids room and a new one downstairs. Hisense was the only tele of that size that looks well made, I have young kids who have damaged previous teles, and had a good picture and at a good price. I think because of the brand I'm panicking when its obviously a sky fault. I can't seem to get the settings right for my personal preference either which is annoying and viewing angles are terrible but I think most teles at that price have poor viewing angles

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom