1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

horizontal lines on 36" panny

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by leedsfireman, May 6, 2002.

1. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi, i seem to be getting faint horizontal lines on the pic on my tx36pf10 has any one got an idea how to get rid of them or what is causing them.
    thanx,
    andy.

2. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ahaa... a very timely question

what you're probably seeing are the gaps between scan lines from the way the picture is built up and a typical 'feature' (to use a Microsoft term) of interlaced CRT TV. The lines are slightly more noticable with Region 1 (NTSC) material as that has 480 active picture lines as opposed to 576 with PAL and more noticable the bigger the set.

I found that if you stand about 2 - 3 feet away from screen and turn your head 90° (as if lying down on yr side) you'll see the lines even more noticably (I believe due to the way the brain processes image information). If you blink repeatedly it's even clearer. (not that you watch a film this way, but it's a useful reference point to judge improvements by. My LOEWE / VGA experiemnt yesterday showed none of this).

You'll see them more noticably now you have a bigger screen, as now - the picture, the lines and the gaps between lines are all expanded in size. So if you sit the same distance away as before (with a smaller screen) they'll be more noticable.

Only way to get rid of them I think is
    - buy a projector with de-interlacer
    - sit further away
    - use a LOEWE with VGA input, external de-interlacer AND SCALER (or a HTPC) or feed with a DVD player with VGA output like the SKYWORTH
    - buy a plasma (no scan lines !)
    sorry.

this is why sony introduced Digital reality creation, Philips - Pixel plus, and a few manufacturers started adding progressive scan (includ. Panasonic) capability... as this gets rid of the lines but, if it's done WITHIN the set under digital mode (which it usually is) they also have other picture problems introduced by the digital processing.

See the current post (and the linked articles within) on "Loewe / Progressive scan" for more details

Steve

3. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,501
    Andy,

I have this TV.
    By far the easiest way to get rid of these lines is to use S-Video and not RGB. In my opinion there is a slight drop in picture quality, but it is still better than watching those damn lines and not the movie !

Cheers
    Kev