Question Horizontal Linearity 'problem' on KD43XD8305 but could apply to any model.

Mooly

I have noticed a curious effect when watching news programmes with text that rolls across the bottom of the screen from right to left as for example on Sky News on Freeview. It is a bit like an old fashioned line linearity effect seen on CRT displays whereby the text appears as it appears at the right seems a little bit more spaced out and as it smoothly rolls toward the screen centre the spacing closes up and then widens again as it exits at the left.

This is very very subtle I have to say but an effect I latch onto being an ex TV tech.

Viewing the same programme via an HDMI input from say a Freeview recorder and the problem is gone.

Anyone else notice this on any of the Sony models ?

Mooly

Here is a screen shot that shows the effect. Compare the word 'contact' at the left and 'nation' in the centre. The text at left and right is stretched as it rolls around from right to left.

Linearity.jpg

Mooly

The mystery has been solved. It is an aspect ratio setting, Wide Zoom vs Full which curiously makes hardly any visible difference to the picture in all other respects.

1.jpg

3.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom