• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Horizontal grey lines on startup

OwenE

Novice Member
Hello there,

Yesterday my graphics driver failed a few times in succession, booting itself back up straight away afterwards. Not long after it looked as though the thing was on LSD, all colourful pixelated patterns everywhere, and froze. I started it again thinking it would be okay, got watching GoT and lo and behold some 50 mins later it did the same.

I forced it off again and restarted. This time I just got a grey screen full of horizontal lines moving downwards with some vertical distortion. I don't really know much about computers truth be told but might this be related to the graphics card given the previous crashes?

It's a laptop I have but set up as a desktop as the hinges on the screen has broken. Recently I moved some stuff about and forgot to turn off the laptop screen whilst using my monitor so I've had both running simultaneously for some time. I'm not sure if this causes stress to the card but I thought I'd note it.

Anyway, it won't go off these lines at all now even after allowing it to cool. It's a 5 and a half year old Rock Xtreme 780 laptop. Was chugging along nicely until this recent blip. I'd be sad to see it go. Please send suggestions!

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom