1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horizontal color bands on my plasma. Help!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lapino, Oct 31, 2005.

1. lapino

lapino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hey people

Yesterday I started noticing very annoying horizontal color bands on my plasma screen with regular broadcasts. I first thought this might be due to a bad transmission/cable (cable goes through my Sony DVD recorder too). But I tried connecting the cabel directly into the tv and get the same results.

Strange thing is, when using the tuner of my Sony recorder instead of the built-in tuner, I don't see the effect (or it's not noticeable). Since I tried both feeding cable directly into the tv and a different tuner, I am almost 100% sure this is due to the internal tuner of the tv. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

(Philips 42PF9966/10)

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sounds to me like you won't need to sell it!

3. lapino

lapino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Uhm, this isn't exactly helpful eh.

4. lapino

lapino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    bumping this up a little. some more testing revealed:
    * horizontal 'more brightness' bands are NOT visible when using the tuner of my Sony HDD recorder
    * tried re-initializing channels with the Philips tuner, but to no avail, problem remains
    * tried manually adjusting a channel where the problem was visible (soccer) but it didn't work (just got more static)

so I'm pretty much sure this has something to do with the internal tuner of the plasma tv. Since my Sony hdd recorder does NOT show it (and neither do DVD's), I guess the cable signal is good enough to show problem free pictures

Now: is this something that can easily be fixed? anyone else heard about a similar problem with (philips) plasma's?