1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horizontal Banding!!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by eas4uk, Dec 4, 2003.

1. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I am currently selling my Sony 705v because I'm fed up with the horizontal banding that I get on my Panasonic 32" tv watching through the RGB scart - The plan was to upgrade and go for the Pioneer 565A which I can find for £190 - However I have just noticed that this player will have the same effect on my tv:mad: I am now considering the Philips 963SA and the Sony 930 or the Pioneer 656 - Unfortunately all of these are slightly out of my original price bracket - but heh heh its an upgrade not a downgrade

Can anyone confirm that the above players will definitely not have this horizontal banding problem on my Panasonic TV?

Ive noted on some threads that apparently none of the above do, but I want to be sure before I part with the green...

All comments appreciated

2. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    So....wanna save some money..............:smashin:

Thought so. Just been researching this Panasonic banding problem, and its hopefully fixable. You can adjust the Panny in the service menu to cure it

Just do a search for DVCO on this forum or the web

Hopefully you will be sorted..:D

3. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Well, I bought the new DVE dvd and accessed the DVCO part of the service menu - I could barely get it to move one notch up or down the scale - and no joy when it did - in fact if anything it made it worse. Ive also bought the Panny S75 dvd player now and I get the same problem!!! Their own products don't even work in harmony!!!

Does anyone own a Panny TV and can confirm that their DVD player does not have these banding problems through the RGB scart... Getting desperate now and feeling suicidal!

I'm now looking at the Denon 1400, Harmon Kardon 25, Philips 963SA and any others if I know they will work properly through the RGB Scart.

Does anyone know if a component to RGB convertor from Keene electronics would rectify this problem?

4. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I have all Panny stuff... TV, DVD player, DVD recorder, Sky Digibox.

All connected in a scart chain in RGB. Player first into Digibox into Recorder into TV AV1.

I am unable to 'tune' (via the DVCO adjustment) all items to work without any banding, so I've tuned the recorder in with nothing else powered up for optimum picture from that source.
    Digibox on its own is now awful, but by powering up the recorder. it cleans up the banding on throuput. I just have to put up with minimal probs from the player if used alone, but again, if I power the recorder up, it cleans the signal (presumably because it is buffering the RGB signal or something?????)

Bit of a pain having to switch them all on, plays havoc with the missus..:laugh:

Emailed Panasonic UK and a local dealer about this.....no replies..:thumbsdow

Shame, coz the Panny is a damm good telly otherwise

Maybe you have a duff RGB board in your Telly???

5. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I agree - my tv is great when sky goes through it on rgb - and I dont really want to part company with it for at least another 12 months (as I paid for the 5 yr ext warranty)

Unfortunately I havent got a dvd recorder to daisy chain it through - however if that seems to work for you I might consider it.

I do have a friend who fixes electronics and he is coming round tomorrow to have a look at the tv to see if he can sort something... I'll keep you posted... I just need ideas in case he cant solve the problem...

You could be right about the RGB board - I think it might have a dry joint somewhere because when the PS2 is run through AV1 the picture flickers every now & then - probably just crap scart cable for the PS2 though...

Any other Panny TV owners out there with the DVD player running through RGB with no problems?

6. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Well still no joy on the tv front - my electronics friend had no idea why its doing whats it doing through RGB - He said he would try and contact Panasonic and query it with them.

How do you route your player through your Sky box? Is it a sky+ box? I think my Panasonic digibox only has scart outputs on it not inputs?

If you watch DVD discs straight from your DVD recorder through RGB do you still get the problem or do you have to watch through your daisy chain?

Also - any major differences between DMR E50 and E60 - Are the dvd-r recordings compatible on other DVD players?

7. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    My PannyTUSDB30 digibox has 2 scart sockets.
    I connect my Panny DVD player scart out to digibox scart in, then from the digibox out to the DVD recorder in. Finally DVD recorder out to TV AV1.
    All equipment set to RGB, all fully wired fairly decent scart leads (shielded with gold connectors)

NOTE, you can only tune ONE item correctly with the DVCO adjustment. I tuned the DVD recorder (last in the chain) with other stuff switched off.
    So, I only get a banding free pic from the recorder, If I use the player or Sky on their own, they 'band', but as I said before, with the recorder switched on, it seems to process rather than just throughput the RGB signal, thus the signal is matched to the DVCO setting.

Are you sure you set the DVCO correctly? If you just exit the adjustment it will not be saved. It cured my prob straight away!

Try adjusting the DVD player with Sky off, and vice versa to see if you can arrive at a compromise setting, mine wouldn't, so that why I set to the recorder.

As for E50 vs E60, they are the same, but the E60 has 2 slots so you can plug in PC and flash cards, and a direct DV input.
    Bloody good excuse to get a new camera and DV recorder eh???

hope this helps,

John

8. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    When I tried adjusting the DVCO it flickers around for a few seconds but the problem gets worse if anything - My SKY digibox is spot on and doesn't need adjusting.

Looks like I'm stuck!