Horizontal Banding - Please HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Halo, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Halo

Halo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba SD340E DVD connected via Ixos component cables to my 32" Samsung LCD. Previously I had a Samsung DVD player connected via Scart, absolutely no problems that I noticed with the picture I just wanted better quality, now, in my current setup there seems to be weird horizontal banding, maybe 2 to 3 lines running across the screen! It is in the prog scan output mode, I have turned this off and they are still there! I didnt notice it at first but now its driving me mad, is it the cables or the DVD player as my LCD works fine with the old player via Scart, Telewest Cable and the playstation2. I havent tried connecting the Tosh via Scart yet! If anyone can give me any ideas I would much appreciate it as I dont have bags of money and will want to go and get a swap on the fault or refund immediately!!!

2. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I had this with a Samsung PC/TV and some other kit, using RGB scart, from what I could work out, in all the cases it appeared to be the DVD, I took it back and used the old CRT. A test using a Panasonic S47 and Yamaha s550 had the same effect.

In another scenario, the use of a Panasonic TV and Pioneer DVD using RGB scart did the same thing, using S video was OK. I tried a few payers, and had no problems with a Panasonic HS2 and Sony 900v.

The Panasonic TV and Pioneer DVD player banding problem has been reported, I think this is due to the use of a certain chipset used to mass produce DVD players, by possibly one company for many others. For example, I chose the S47, assuming it would be made in Japan but it is made in China, nothing wrong with that, apart from maybe the above reason.

Obviously, this is an assumption, but try and borrow another player, maybe a little older from a friend and see if it works any better. One piece of advice I was given was to try a Samsung DVD, as it uses Faroudja chipsets, now, how you know it has this is a bit tricky, I think this has been questioned in other threads.

3. Halo

Halo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help, I'm going to try and link the DVD up via Scart tonight, if that dont work it looks like a new DVD player, is there any good prog scan, component connecting Samsung DVD players for less than £200 with this Faroudja chip set I wonder?

4. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The Samsung 745 is well liked here, but as allways, try all other free tests before spending the hard earned, try and use a friends player.

5. Halo

Halo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know where to purchase the Samsung 745???
    Would Richer Sounds take back my Tosh as it has compatability problems?

6. roadhawk

roadhawk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting mine from Pixmania.co.uk, which according to the Parcel Farce website is out for delivery today :clap:

7. Halo

Halo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help. Let us know if its any good please Roadhawk. Cheers

8. roadhawk

roadhawk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's loads of other threads on it if you want to research a bit more.

9. Halo

Halo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think my mind is made up, my LCD is Samsung and has DVI-I capability so the HD745 sounds like the obvious progression, I may have just got caught up in the Tosh340 hype... I will hope to get the DVD from pixmania, are these a good reputable dealers?

10. roadhawk

roadhawk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first purchase from them so i couldn't really comment.

Parcel Farce not here yet either, COME ON! :rolleyes:

11. Halo

Halo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roadhawk, or anyone else who has purchased the Samsung 745 from Pixmania. Does it come fully compliant with british plugs, standards etc as I have heard on these forums that Pixmania's items come with foreign plugs attached! As I can only find this DVD player from them I would like to know if they are any good or does anyone know of other Samsung 745 dealers??? Thanks for any help in advance...