Hopelessly lost! Recommended 37 or 42" Plasman HD Ready please!

M

Mossyman

Hi all,

Been lurking here for a while so Hello! :hiya:

After a LOT of reading and looking I am still confused :rolleyes:

I want a 37-42" Plasma - must be HD ready - so what is the supposed "best" one available at present and also where should I buy it??

Please do point me towards any relevant threads so as to not waste people's time! Will be mostly used for DVDs, occasional TV via Sky (but will get Sky HD when available) and also Xbox 360.

Many thanks and cheers!

Mossyman :thumbsup:

Hi Mossyman....Id have a good run through the forums before you choose...I have the Panasonic 42pv500 and its absolutely gorgeous IMHO but other people have had probs with it (although I think you will find thats a small minority of us), also that particular model seems to be in short supply at the moment. Others swear by the Pioneers (these 2 makes seem to be the most popular) and then of course come others like Sony and Hitachi, the best advice is to read up on everything and get familiar with Plasma and if at all possible get some decent demonstrations of the sets that interest you (even take a dvd or 2 along with you that you are familiar with)....good luck :)

I just got my Hitachi 7200TC yesterday, and I would say it is a very good telly indeed given its fairly cheap price, and to my eyes, I really cannot see any difference in PQ between this one and the PV500 series using Pioneer dvd player via component output.

What retailers do people recommend?! I am unsure whether Comet/Currys are any good, or I have a local Sevenoaks ....

Is there a reputable online retailer which has good reports?

Many thanks!! Very much appreciated :)

go for John Lewis if you can, as you will get a Free 5 year warranty. You can also price match with any retailers elsewhere in the UK. Im the same as you m8, Ill be using the Xbox360, DVD (Blu-Ray when it arrives), Sky+ (Sky HD when it arrives). I would recommend either the 436XDE or the 42Pv500 if you have the money for those. These 2 are considered to be the best 2 plasmas on the market.

The panel versus TV debate, remember it's not just the tuner. To make the best of a panel, you need an AV amp and speakers, and digital TV, preferably HDD recording, like sky+ or Topfield freeview box. A stereo Hi fi works for some people though. The end result is home cinema, not 'just a TV'. The Panasonic PHD8 is a panel only, no TV tuner, speakers are an expensive and ugly upgrade. The TV types either have them integrated or at least are designed to take them. If you have the rest of the kit, your system will be much simpler, as well as likely better PQ and better sound. How many TV tuners do you need? If you have sky+ and a XDE Pio, you'll have 4 in the system, 5 with a VHS too, maybe 6 with a DVDR. How will the other members of your household cope?

MAW said:
How many TV tuners do you need? If you have sky+ and a XDE Pio, you'll have 4 in the system, 5 with a VHS too, maybe 6 with a DVDR. How will the other members of your household cope?

Lol, not sure about them but I know I'd struggle.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom