hopefully new channels coming(telewest)

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by robertoclarkos, Dec 24, 2006.

1. robertoclarkos

robertoclarkos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    was on the phone to telewest about the failed update of the td drive last sat. i spoke to them about the hd content and they said next year we will get the channels living and bravo in hd . so hopefully this is true as every td drive owner is at wits end with the ammount sky have compaired to telewest. also heard itv channel 4 an channel 5 hd are close.

2. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Everything on Bravo and Living is old, what could they have in HD?

The listings for 4 & 5 don't inspire much confidence.

Unless they get the sky channels it's a waste of time.

3. Oldgold

Oldgold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    99% of the programs on these channels are rubbish anyway IMO. So doesn't inspire me at all.

4. teejay38

teejay38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    And I believe in Santa, too.

TJ

5. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The company tried to take a short cut in to HD world with the ITV merger talks. In the light of the failure of that venture they are left with expanding the High Definition channels they own. I watch a bit of living and my main expectation is simply widescreen capability, something they should have had years ago. If they manage HD into the bargain that would be nice!

6. Norbert666

Norbert666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have TVDrive and I only seem to have one HD channel, BBC HD. Is this correct or am I missing something? :confused:

James

7. yorkyred

yorkyred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Every person you speak to gives different information. In my opinion they are making it up as they go along in the hope of keeping customers as long as possible.

They know people want HD content yet offer nothing with Sky holding them over a barrel.

I have tv drive and will give them the year then it's off to Sky if nothing has changed.

8. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    B..llsh.t! I was actually talking to someone from Tw Essex office at a Christmas party a few days ago. He was quite ******, so I got some info out of him.

TW missed the boat on HD way back when they developed the TVDrive. They made the mistake of not considering HD! Some chap in the back room was reading the tech specs and realised it showed HD! No prob said their experts, no HD for years in the UK so no problem!

Six months pass and the momentum for HD builds with a million sets sold! Radical re-think, HD printed on the front of the box and releasing five months early, as Sky was going to release and they knew they had nothing except some contracts to show the World Cup (actually, just re-broadcast it). Contacts people quickly called in and hay presto, with advertising people, suddenly the HD selling campaign!

Virgin comes up with the solution. That is, a tie up with ITV, who can start taping main shows in HD, along with some content from 4,5 over the next year or so (no plans for Sky channels as Sky no way wants to release them - they don't have to as they own the channels broadcasting in HD), thus Branson has cheap, sponsored, FTA HD over cable. True competition for the Sky various channels.

Then comes in Murdoch's wallet! Thus, TW,NTL,Virgin checkmated! Channel 5 will be doing some HD on Five US (a large number of the series are in HD), and 4 as an extra, part-time channel basis (so he was saying). This will be some time, and will be available on Sky anyway!

Thus, enjoy the BBC trial, and the little bits on 4HD. Good luck, I went to Sky!

9. def

def

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Wonder if anyone else saw the letter in either the Times or the Mail last week, from some girl at the BBC in charge of HD content.

Essentially the paper had published an article claiming BBC HD would go nationwide very soon after the limited trial. The BBC person wrote in and corrected them, saying the timeline for HD was anywhere between 2008 and 2012 before any kind of service begins in any region, and it's still dependant on Ofcom licensing enough of the old analog signal ranges to support HD content.

So, um, forget all about that then :)

10. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    They won't go HD over terrestrial, but Sky, Cable and TV over DSL still offers them an outlet, and as they are producing virtually everything in HD anyway for sale to the US.
    Mistycat, your source said way too much for the good of his career! I always said the "Telewest 1 Sky 0" ad campaign was way too aggressive when TW secured the ITV HD footy coverage. It was like shooting a marauding grizzly with an air rifle, made worse by the fact that the grizzly wasn't even aware of the shooter until they pulled the trigger! The alliance of Sky and ITV (traditional enemies) does indicate who Sky sees as the bigger threat though.

11. D@Z

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Why do people still insist on trying to compare sky with TW???

Sky is a HD service, telewest IS NOT, it really is that simple.

If you want HD go to sky, if you want the best quality picture and most services then go to TW.

To get HD you have to give those robbing bastids at sky £300 and sacrifice SD picture quality. If you think those few crappy HD channels are worth £300 of your money then more fool you but thats your choice. To me they most certainly are not and as 99% of my viewing is SD I want the best possible SD picture quality and that comes from TW. TVdrive is second to none in terms of features etc and I also have the added bonus of BBC HD and HD on teleport too and all without a single penny up front payment.

If you moved to sky then good for you, I find it a little embarassing but thats just me. But why the need to keep posting in every TW thread that you have moved?

12. Ruperts slippers

Ruperts slippers
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,234
    People compare the two tv companies because telewest boasted that they would be the first to showcase britains first hi-def service ,ive had the tv drive since march and will definatly be leaving for sky when my contract runs out in march.

Telewest do not have any Hd srvice of any note, apart from the beeb,and pay hd movies ,of which im not going to pay £4.50 for the privelige .There is nothing wrong with the tv drive but the lack of information on future hd channels is a joke.

To be perfectly honest, british television is a joke in general, especially at christmas ,last year while sat in the dominican republic i was able to watch every james bond film ever made ,as well as other dedicated movies channels showing various movies.

Over here we get around 1 movie a day ,crap soaps ,unfunny comedies made by ex university grads for the bbc .

Anyway bah humbug lol.

13. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am glad you are happy with your service. I thnk the TVDrive is a fantastic machine. When I left TW they were also great, letting me out of the contract (in the main part). Personally, I always felt CS at TW was always good and they always tried their best. Thus, as a company I was very happy.

I agree that the pq on TVdrive was almost as good as HD, thus I really thought carefully before swapping (as the Teleport service is very handy).

As you say, TW is not a HD service. They only have themselves to blame though that many people are very angry with them (and to their credit they admit this- it was a marketing mistake to market heavily on HD hoping that the extras such as three tuners and Teleport would retain customers - This almost worked with me!). The problems I had though, was the very many problems with the technology with TVDrive. In the end I could not trust it to fully tape shows, constant freezing due to the rest mode, and in the end the losses of service you would get. Add to this, I wanted some HD channels, and more channels in general.

As for Sky, there is no need to pay more than £149, with free fitting. If you shop around, this is easily available. I paid this, had my house re-wired and had Sky+ re-installed, thus I can record three shows, and watch one at the same time. Add to this that I have never lost the start or end of shows, and there is good HD content, which is expanding, and I think it is a bargain (as it turned out to be the same price as I paid TW).

Finally, as for PQ, I lined the two boxes up against eachother when I got the Sky HD fitted and before TVDrive was turned off. The SD picture (unless you want to watch 4:3 in 576p, is as good as TW, and almost as good through 576. As for the HD channels, the pq is out of this world! I keep Sky HD on 1080i, and thus have the same picture as I had with TW, with the HD bonus.

Each to their own, and this is what competition is about. I do find the online chats about it interesting as one thing I teach is marketing. I hope TW can compete or better knock out their market space so there is a real choice in the future.

You raised great points through....

14. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +580
    My experience is the call centre people are not informed accurately about forthcoming HD content. Basically, dont believ anything unless it appears on the TW website in their press release section.

15. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,331
    Last night I was out at nine and was able to record on one channel on a HDD and two channels at once on Cable. Sky doesn't have the same amount of tuners. I came back and watched Trigger Happy TV on Teleport TV. I love my cable box and I think a dish would make my house look ugly. Cable for me.

16. Nivek TT

Nivek TT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,077
    Living show some quality shows! I love Boston Legal!

My fiance loves Will and Grace, CSI and Grey's Anantomy and I know Charmed is popular (although not for me). There is some potential for a Flextech HD channel... and if a couple of NTL:Telewest exclusive HD channels appeared advertised to hell over the Flextech suite of channels then Sky maybe tempted to share!