1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Hopefully...) gonna be live enabled by the weekend...!!

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Family Guy, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should really have come here first :suicide: But I have already orderded all the kit I think I need to go live...first up is this PCI network card, which I thought was a real bargain, and the guy on the phone told me would work with XBox live...fingers crossed!!
    Also orderded a 10m ethernet cable and obviously the XBox live starter pack...

Anybody confirm for me please whether this will/will not work out with live...? Many thanks for your help, and hopefully I'll see some of you online at the weekend... :thumbsup: :clap:

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    It all depends, how are you connecting it to your broadband connection?

3. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be connecting my XBox to the router in the link above, which will be in my PC, which will be connected to my broadband connection...

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Should be fine.

Make sure it is a cat5 ethernet cable, and you feed your pc's mac address into xbox live.

This can be found by typing "cmd" into the "run" window on your win xp start menu and typing ipconfig /all and looking for the physical address (mac address)

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Thanks for your help...

6. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    It should do all that automatically anyway. Don't forget to let us all know your 'live' tag so we can all hunt you down on FSW

7. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    It can be done that way, but it does mean that you have to have your PC turned on all the time you want to use live. Plus your PC will not be able to use intensive applications (like the latest games) otherwise it could affect your ping to Live (your PC will be doing the routing not the NIC you have bought).

This is certainly the cheapest solution, but I would think about buying a dedicated router at some point later, this will give you more flexibility, especially if it is wireless.

8. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Good point!!! :)

9. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will this be OK...? Only got one ethernet port but connects to the PC using a USB cable...does this mean I'll have to have the PC on all the time? Or will this solve the problems, all be it cheaply, because until Feb next year, that's how everything's gonna have to be I'm afraid... :(
    If it's not gonna work properly, I'd rather not do it TBH. I'd rather wait a few extra months and do the job properly further down the line. However, if this is going to work OK with no hassles, I'm all for it...
    Can't believe how much these people are charging for cat5 cables either...£14 for a 10m cable :eek:

10. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Any network card will be fine, they are all compatible as they use standard protocols so no worries there :)

You will need to keep the PC on while using the X-box whichever card you buy. It will be a good stop-gap if you pick up a cheap 10 quid card, and give you a taste for online play. Simply save up the pennies until you can afford a wireless router, that would be my advice. I wish I had bought a wireless router many moons ago :p

You might want to try Maplin for cabling, I got mine done fairly cheaply at a custom length. Do any of your mates have crimpers for attaching the RJ45 plugs etc? You can buy 100m from Maplin for 25 quid and then crimp yourself.

11. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OOoops - see that link dosen't work... :blush: Hopefully this one does...basically, it's an external ADSL modem that connect to the PC via a USB cable, and has an ethernet port, which I take it will connect to the XBox...also comes with a cable and microfilter to connect to the phone line, which I already have anyway, but it's a bonus I suppose... :)

12. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm on!!! 'tag in my sig... :smoke:

13. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    What do you reckon then? :thumbsup:

14. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't actually played anything yet...:( As soon as I got set up, everyone came home and took over the TV... :thumbsdow

15. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Seen your request on the pc m8, will accept it the next time I go on live, which will probably be over the weekend :thumbsup:

Look forward to hooking up with you soon m8

Spoony.

16. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody else wanna be my friend...? :( :rolleyes: :blush:

Currently have Splinter Cell 2, PGR2 and Red Dead Revolver to play on live...gonna rent Full Spectrum Warrior over the weekend to see what it's like as well...so if you need a new whipping boy in your group (esp. driving games I am CRAP at driving games... :suicide: :( I'm your man!!