1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hope you don't get this with your LCD !

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Nick_UK, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Out here in East Anglia we get tiny insects called "thrips" (also known as "storm bugs") which live in the ears of wheat, and swarm on the hottest days if the year. These bugs don't bite, but they get on your skin and make you feel very itchy.

Now what has this got to do with LCD screens ? Well, one great trick that these bugs can do is get into places which many other insects would not be able to get into. They are often found between the glass and the paper inside picture frames. They have even been found inside sealed thermos flasks ! When I switched my CRT PC screen for a LCD screen, I did not think for one moment that insects would be a problem. I was wrong :eek:

So far, in one year, I have had 3 of these insects invade my screen, and only two got out. The one that didn't get out sat between the screen and the backlight, and effectively wiped out 3 pixels. A friend of mine suffered the same fate. Fortunately, I have a 3-year swap-out warranty with this screen, and that includes insect ingress. I hope you are similarly covered, because you can't get the damn things out without dismantling the screen :suicide:

2. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    saw a guy complain about the same thing in micromart a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully the insects round here are generally too big to get into a screen.