• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Hope this is the right place, need help (Denon 4700 + mixed Monitor Audios??)

JGreg

I'm trying to upgrade my home theater for the PS5. I've got my tv coming tomorrow and I think I've decided on the Denon 4700 as my new HDMI 2.1 amp.

Now.. the problem. I've got a B&W PV1D which I love and will not part with. I've got very old (10 years) MT-50 speaker set for 5.1. I quite fancy upgrading the speakers to get more out of this new amp and my local place is recommending the Monitor Audio Audio Bronze 200s with the Atmos Bronze AMS on top of them.

I like the look of these but here's where the problems start.

1. The center channel of that range won't fit in my setup (it's too deep) so I'd have to get the Radius 225. It's still Monitor audio - but would it match properly with the floor standing Bronze 200s?

2. I won't change the rear MT-50s or the Sub, so i'd be mixing brands. Is this a horrible thing to do?

Please help! I've done my own head in, got a massive headache.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Mixing Monitor Audio Speakers won't be to much of a hassle as the Radius 225 is a very good centre channel. I'd say that if you can stretch further on the budget, look at the Apex 40 as this will give you a much stronger performance and is more inline with the Denon AVR-X4700H performance levels. The Bronze 200 with the Atmos will work fine with either centre, but when it comes to the centre the clear winner will always be the Apex, plus when it comes to upgrading in the future, you shouldn't need to worry about the centre channel as its good enough to mix it with the silver range without compromise meaning in the future, you only need to concentrate on those items that you feel are lacking :)

JGreg

Mixing Monitor Audio Speakers won't be to much of a hassle as the Radius 225 is a very good centre channel. I'd say that if you can stretch further on the budget, look at the Apex 40 as this will give you a much stronger performance and is more inline with the Denon AVR-X4700H performance levels. The Bronze 200 with the Atmos will work fine with either centre, but when it comes to the centre the clear winner will always be the Apex, plus when it comes to upgrading in the future, you shouldn't need to worry about the centre channel as its good enough to mix it with the silver range without compromise meaning in the future, you only need to concentrate on those items that you feel are lacking :)

Thanks a lot. So far I've spoken to a few people about this upgrade and every single one of them has advised me to get the Apex A40... which is now waiting to be collected at the shop :)
My only decision left to make is to buy the silver range now instead of getting bronze and upgrading later... might go all out! :)

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Whichever option you choose, I’m glad you have settled on the Apex 40 for the centre as it’s the right choice

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom