Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Hope for a bargain..but which one?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ani4ani, Oct 20, 2003.

1. ani4ani

ani4ani
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hi all,

with the advent of a series of new projectors, I hope to pick up a bargain "older" model.

Which would represent the best investment.

AE200, Z1 or HS2 or any others?

I am not blessed with the option of a "huge" screen, i.e. limited to a 69" diagonal [60" width] so I do not think that screen door will be an issue.

2. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go for the AE200 mate, only 699 from Komplett!
    definately better than the z1 IMO
    Cheers
    F

3. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Unable to answer but I was gonna ask pretty much the same question. :)

4. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    cant speak for the other PJ's but i have the AE100 and if the 200 is only slightly better then thats a damm good PJ for £699.
    I paid more than twice that for my 100, but i had the pleasure of the last world cup on a 70" screen. :) ..............(beating Agentina)
    My advice is g0 buy the 200 for 699 and if its a working no problem PJ then you WILL NOT be disapointed.

good luck

5. hoerzers

hoerzers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I had to buy a projector now...I actually JUST bought one... and had to stay below GBP1000.- it would be the Z1 for the following reasons;

- Higher res than the AE200
    - Lens shift functionality
    - Can be bought with Dead Pixel check for about 815.- + VAT whereas Panasonic prices are still in dreamland until the AE500 is officially released here

Just my thoughts...that's not to say that the AE200 is a bad projector!

Cheers

6. ani4ani

ani4ani
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Where can I buy for this price...sounds interesting

7. hoerzers

hoerzers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.nexnix.co.uk

There are others in the same price range but their service is great and the offer the dead pixel check...

Also woth noting: Robert Whyte offer a refurb HS-10 for 1400.- incl. VAT.....That's a little more but it's also a very different machine!

Cheers,
    Stefan

8. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    I just got an AE100 for £599. Not sure the differences between this and the 200 but at that price I am very very impressed.
    It was from www.roberywhyteltd.co.uk

9. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The difference between the z1 and 200 are very minimal if anything in the end, due to the smooth screen technology, the 200 performs better with less screen dorr and for christs sake for 699 quid get it now, if there are dead pixels you can return it, but there is a very big chance that there are only a few as each model leaving a panasonic factory has a tolerancy measure, so they will have a small number of dead pixels if any.
    Regards
    Fred

10. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    fred123go,

No doubt you have the best intentions in offering advice, but for goodness sake get the facts right................ minimal searching here (or even in the FAQ) would get the basics.....

In short:

Neither the AE200 or the Z1 have "smoothscreen" technology - this is a feature of the AE300 (and soon to be released AE500).

The AE200 has lower resolution than the Z1,(856x484 vs. 960x540, roughly speaking) so is unlikely to outperform the Z1 in terms of screendoor.

Apart from the difference in resolution, the main other differences are:

that the Z1 has lens shift function which could be relevant, depending on how a new owner intended to install the projector;

1:1 pixel matching is more straightforward to implement on the AE200 than on the Z1;

the AE200 has a SCART input - could be useful depending on what equipment you need to hook-up;

You can get access to the proper Service Menu on the Z1, you can't access it on the AE200 - could be relevant to someone who intends to calibrate/tweak;

The Z1 is known to have experienced dust blob problems, probably due to poor sealing in the lens shift mechanism.

Advice: Go see either projector in action - there's never been a more accessable entry into front projection - you're unlikely to be disappointed with the performance of either of them, imo.

Sean G.

11. ani4ani

ani4ani
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Many thanks for the posts guys. I have seen both in action, I guess the following were important :-

Side-shot would be nice, but unfortunately I can make no use of it for my proposed installation - if it could just do a bit more then I would be tempted.

My worries. Panasonic failures, especially AE100, which I guess the 200 is based on.

The Z1 dust problem, read quite a bit about that.

I intend to use a HCPC which I currently run a Sony CX1 on [tbh I am happy with the CX1, I just want real 16:9]

I know its not a great reason, but considering that I am limited to a coffee table front on for position, I quite like the purpose made stand for the Sony.

As I lam imited to a 70" diaganol I am not sure screen door will be a problem. [perhaps the potential to a bit bigger in a few months when we redecorate and I can plan things a bit better.]

All up, I guess its goes 200, Z1, HS2, with like plenty have said at £699 is a bit of a steal.

95% sure that I'm going for Panny - thanks again guys.

12. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    From posts here and over on avsforum, it doesn't appear that the AE200 has suffered from the power-supply issues which some AE100 owner have encountered. Having seen the Sony and AE200, I preferred the picture from the AE200 - I thought it had better colour uniformity and better contrast, and screendoor seemed less of an issue with the AE200 - I reckon that's down to a higher fill-factor with the LCD panels, but I wouldn't swear to it. These are just my impressions - as I said, you should see them yourself and make up your own mind - it's your money and you're the one who will be watching it.

Good luck with your choice.

Sean G.

13. ani4ani

ani4ani
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Well I took the plunge and bought a 200, last one from Komplett by all accounts, althougth there are more coming in at the end of the month [10 off]

Here friday I'm told [and paid for :) ]

14. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I too have bought a AE200 from Komplett :). We must have bought the last two in stock. When does yours arrive?

15. ani4ani

ani4ani
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Well I was told Friday and that is what I paid for, but I just have one of those feelings ;)

16. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I too am looking for a cheapish projector. I am getting my loft converted and fancy a bit of a cinema think going on....

And of course gaming. Halo on a 9ft screen sounds like a very worthwile experience.

I have heard from a few people the Panasonic AE200E is a good option. I notice they are on back order at komplett will they get them back in ?

And whats the availabilty going to be like should I get one now or will they still be around for a month or so. I am not really ready for it yet but it seems like a good price.

17. ani4ani

ani4ani
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Well despite my feeling...it came!

Spent last 20 minutes "playing" and all I can say "stunned" and relieved. [no dead pixels!]

I have a CX1 running off a HCPC and that, with tweaks gave a great picture and I couldn't believe it was ever worth paying for anything else.

Well I have taken the plunge with the 200 and running off my PC it just moves the whole thing off onto another plain.

The only thing that let me down with the CX was no 16:9 [native] and that was the real reason for looking again.

I am so glad that I picked this up, everything is just so much better.

Anyone play Doom when it came out...ever thought "who would ever need grapahics better than Doom"

Well 200 against CX1 is Doom to Quake...guess spend a whole bucket more and you might get Unreal.

This is absolute no brainer and bargain...can't wait to start twaeking :)

Komplett told me yesterday, when I was finding out that I would be the last "buy" press on their current stock, that they had a batch of 10 coming in on the 30th.

Final comment, Komplett were excellent, answering every email and delivering just as promised.

18. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Got to say am very tempted. I can see one of them going on to my CC very shortly. Dont have anywhere to use it at the moment that will do it justice but I will have soon....

It strikes me that Fifa on one of these things and a 9ft screen could be something else and of course I can watch the footy and films on it.

I need to start getting a list of these excuses why and need one as well as my Plasma so my wife does noes not think the sole purpose of the loft conversion is a play room for my friends and I.

19. Tomfoolery

Tomfoolery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'd go for it! I bought when it was around £710 on that weekly special (ha!) that they did before reducing it to £700 shortly afterwards.

Still loving the picture. Black levels could be better, but everyone who's seen it has commented on how great the colours are - as well as the cinema feel it gives.