Hoo's Home

Hooblue

Well after looking at everyone else's setups I thought I'd finally get some pics up of my lounge.

It's nowhere near as flash as some others on here but it's changed a fair bit in the last six months or so, plus I'm getting married soon so at the moment the wedding fund is more important than the home cinema fund! :( Once that's gone though I'm planning a major upgrade :thumbsup:

Anyway, up until about 14 months ago my home cinema consisted of a Samsung 28" CRT TV, a JVC home cinema system, PS2, Gamecube and a freeview box. Then the TV went kaput so I decided to invist into the world of LCD, so along came the LG 32LB75. At the same time I ditched the JVC and bought a Sony all in one job...biggest mistake ever. Compared to the JVC it was useless. No inputs, poor sound, worse picture, however the other half liked it as it was black so matched the TV :suicide:

Anyway last year I got a PS3 (and a Wii) so wanted to make the best use of those. So I got rid of the Sony :clap: and decided to go the seperate route instead as it'd let me upgrade in the future easier.

Therefore I got the amp from the forums here, a set of surrounds from RS and Sky+. Also bought a cheap DVD recorder which is used soley to dump the other half's rubbish off the Sky box onto DVD. :smashin:

The pics:

DSC_0158.jpg

The front - unfortunately at the moment it has to go in the corner. Looking to move furniture about (when we next decorate) and wall mount the panel and fronts.

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

The back - you can just see one of the rears. The other is on a shelf to the left. I need to mount these higher up really.

DSC_0152.jpg

DVD/Game and Bluray storage, plus some of my UNKLE CD's/DVD's and book. I have another cupboard full of DVD's too.

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

I also have a Wii which is upstairs in the computer room, along with a laptop with a 250GB WD external HDD which I use to store all my music and some films, which I stream through the PS3.

The next steps for me will be a new panel along with a set of better surrounds and a HDMI amp. Also I'd like to get a proper HTPC sometime. Oh, and a Harmony to replace the 5 remotes! I'm afraid it'll all have to wait until after I tie the knot though....:(

Kit list:

LG 32LB75 LCD TV
Pioneer VSX-515S AV reciever
Yamaha NSP-110 5.1 surrounds
PS3 (80GB)
Sky+
Bush ;) DVD recorder (hardly ever used)
Wii
HP ZD8301ea with WD 250GB HDD (used as a kind of HTPC)

Any comments or suggestions are welcome! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Kuffdam

Standard Member
That's a really nice set up you have there

Can I ask what camera you used for the pictures?
They look superb? The close ups are sweet.

Hooblue

Thanks Kuffdam!

The pics were taken with a Nikon D40 DSLR with just the standard 18-55mm lens. I haven't had it long so I'm still getting used to it really. I need a proper macro lens really.

Kuffdam

Standard Member
yeah really nice pics...

I'm interested in a DSLR myself so wanted to ask...

thanks... was it £££

Hooblue

No, not really. I just wanted a nice starter type DSLR, nothing too expensive. It was about £250 I think. You could probably pick it up cheaper though.

Great camera...easy to use, lots of features and not too big and bulky, unlike some of the other DSLR's on the market.

mattg

that couch looks comfy as hell!

I think I could lose hours on the thing :)

Tidy set up :thumbsup:

Cosby

I'm getting married soon so at the moment the wedding fund is more important than the home cinema fund! Once that's gone though I'm planning a major upgrade

Join the club mate - the wedding crunch take priority over my Onkyo/Kef dream! Nice setup

CFS

Really fresh-looking room!

Hooblue

Thanks everyone, nice to hear people's opinions. :thumbsup:

Nice mate i have that same exact Pioneer reciever, how do you find it mate.

Well it's my first 'proper' AV reciever so compared to what I had before it's miles and miles better! :eek: To be honest I've always had a soft spot for Pioneer stuff and i'm not disappointed by this either. It's simple to use, has enough inputs for me (at the moment ;)) and looks the business too. Oh, and it sounds great with both films and music. I'd definately consider upgrading to another Pioneer amp. The only thing it lacks is HDMI, but small steps I guess..... :smashin:

Hooblue

Thanks Grangey. Just had a quick look at your thread too...very nice and coming along well I see. Noticed you're from Oxfordshire. What part as I live just outside Oxford myself.

Kuffdam

Standard Member
well after checking out the camera, I have picked one up on ebay...

should be here next week....

cheers for the info on it... can't wait to get playing with it

Hooblue

Quick update.

Recent small, but really worthwhile addition....

....out with the old:

DSC_0256.jpg

In with the new! :thumbsup:

DSC_0258.jpg

So far love this little gadget. Easy to use and miles better than having a load of remotes sitting around.

Last edited:

Repton

DSC_0258.jpg

So far love this little gadget. Easy to use and miles better than having a load of remotes sitting around.

I also have one of these babies, great to use once you get your head around the setup!

Medrep1

Lovely looking room there!:smashin:

Could I ask where you got the CD/DVD rack from, and how many do they hold?

Also, is it me or do you have a dedicated holder for your ps3 remotes? If so what are they?

Thanks

Hooblue

Lovely looking room there!:smashin:

Could I ask where you got the CD/DVD rack from, and how many do they hold?

Also, is it me or do you have a dedicated holder for your ps3 remotes? If so what are they?

Thanks

Thanks mate!

The CD/DVD racks are from Ikea. They're called Benno and are about £20 each I think. They come in a range of colours too. They hold upto 180 CD's or 88 DVD's, although you can move the shelves about and get a combination of the two like I have.

The holder for the PS3 remote was a cheapie thing I picked up from Zavvi. You can get them from HMV aswell I think, about £9. Made by 4gamers. They connect via USB and charge the remote too. I just wanted somewhere to store it more than anything and I have one on charge while using the other normally.

Medrep1

Great! I could probably get away with 2 or 3 of those without affecting the room too much.

Thanks again:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware