Hoo's Home

Hooblue

I started a thread ages ago but haven't updated it in a while so it wouldn't let me reply to it!

Anyway, thought I might as well do a brief update of where it started up to how it is now.

When we moved in a few years ago I had a Samsung 28" CRT, JVC all-in-one home cinema and a freeview box. When the CRT went bang I upgraded to a LG 32" LCD and also Sky+.

I also got rid of the all-in-one and got a shiny Pioneer AV amp and a set of Yamaha surround sound speakers:

DSC_0158.jpg

Front view

DSC_0154.jpg

Rear view showing surrounds (mounted them too low I think).

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

I then got rid of the mass of remotes and upgraded to a Harmony 525. One of the best gadgets I own.

DSC_0258.jpg

I then ditched the Pioneer amp as the opportunity to get a new one came up and so in went an Onkyo 605. I really wanted a HDMI amp to make best use of the PS3, and to prepare for the inevitable upgrade to Sky+ HD.

I also got rid of the rubbish DVD recorder, added an AV sender so the Mrs can watch stuff recorded on the Sky box upstairs and also bought the Wii down from the study upstairs.

Sorry about the rubbish picture but my SLR was on the fritz at the time so had to use a point and shoot:

DSC_0246.jpg

The aim was always to move the TV as I didn't want it in the corner, and after a while I persuaded the wife to let me move it. However she wasn't keen on it being wall mounted, so to compromise I went out and got a Benno TV stand from Ikea, which makes the TV look wall mounted without it being so. :thumbsup: I had to make a few small adjustments to it though as the amp wouldn't fit in it as with the speakers etc attached it was too deep. Plus I was worried it would overheat so I took a jigsaw and took the back off of the section in which the amp sits. It now fits and runs alot cooler too.

Also upgraded to Sky+HD, changed broadband supplier and more importantly got rid of the Yamaha surround speakers and got a set of Tannoy SFX5.1's. Although not a massively expensive upgrade I could really tell the difference. Plus having the TV in a central position helped the overall balance of the sound too. Had to drill a few extra holes in the rear TV stand though to mount the new speakers.

DSC_0276.jpg

And finally up to how it is now.

Although the Tannoy's were a vast improvement on the Yamaha speakers they weren't too good with music and I wanted something with abit more quality. I therefore got a set of Wharfedale 9.4's and a 9.cc centre. To say the difference is noticeable is an understatement! :eek: I also brought the Sony bluray player down from upstairs as it just wasn't getting the use, plus it's a hell of a lot quieter than the PS3.

I'm still using the Tannoy SFX rears and sub at the moment as they fit well with the room, plus I don't have the space for anything much larger at the moment. The Wharedale's are pretty bassy when they want though so at the moment I'm happy, although a sub upgrade is on the list.

DSC_0891.jpg

DSC_0894.jpg

DSC_0895.jpg

DSC_0896.jpg

DSC_0897.jpg

DSC_0901.jpg

DSC_0903.jpg

DSC_0909.jpg

DSC_0908.jpg

It's a bit of a pain having to open the draws whenever I want to use the system, and I'm planning on modding them to turn them into fold down cupboards when I can work out how to do it! I would take the draw fronts off altogether but I don't like the PS3 section with the mass of wires going to the Wii and external HDD's.

I also stuck some cheap lights behind the back board to help with night viewing.

DSC_0882-1.jpg

DSC_0884-1.jpg

Next on the list is a new, bigger TV and also I'm going to get an Acer Aspire Revo and use it as a simple HTPC. That should allow me to get rid of some of the wires and tidy things up a bit, as well as make my media library better looking as currently I'm just using the PS3 to stream from. Also thinking of using the spare Tannoy speakers for a zone 2 out in the conservatory running off the Onkyo. I would use them for 7.1 but I think the wife would go mad if I attached anything else to the walls! Also going to get the sofa recovered as it's looking abit tired now.

Kit list is in my sig.

Last edited:

Toolbox

Is that just one room? Or are they different rooms throughout the house? :)

Nice setup!

Last edited:

Silverblack

very smart looking setup you have.

kpnuts81

Novice Member
Nice, I like the use of matching wallpaper on the stand mount.

Quick question - I have the SFX 5.1 set, does your sub make an annoying electrical hum?!

I know a lot of amplified electronics can hum from electrical interference but my sub takes the biscuit, I can hear it across the room with only relatively quiet scenes and it's driving me crazy.

Daddy k

Distinguished Member
Love the changes you've made, great idea putting your wallpaper on back of tv unit too

BazzerJ

Looks really good mate, you've put alot of effort in there and still managed to make it look simplistic.

To Kpnuts I have the SFX5.1 set too, love it. No hum from my sub.

Hooblue

great changes made matey! I had the same tele as you till it packed up :( what next ?

nev

Thanks folks!

Well I've already made a small addition since the last post. I've moved the Sony BD player back upstairs and have added a HTPC to the setup running XBMC, so all my music, films and pictures are now on that (or will be when I finish ripping them all! :laugh:). Decided not to go the Revo route and got a proper HTPC instead.

I think next up will be a new tele. I do love the LG though and even though it's not the newest tech and not 1080p, I have to say I'm still impressed with the picture quality. However it'll soon be bonus time so maybe an upgrade is called for! :smashin: (if I can get it past the wife that is! :rotfl:).

Last edited:

Hooblue

Quick update. New TV added to replace the 32" LG. Went for something a fraction bigger but not so that it dominates the room (plus the Mrs is happy with it which is the main thing! :rotfl:). Very pleased with it so far. Colours are much better with added depth and it handles motion better too. Even the wife commented that it looks better! :D

Also added a HTPC and running XBMC which I'm very pleased with. Got about 80% of my films ripped to it so far as well as all my music and pictures. Also got a Logitech Dinovo Edge keyboard which is awesome, although I also use a iPhone app to control XBMC.

DSC_0957 by Hooblue1, on Flickr

Last edited:

Hooblue

It's been a while since I update this post so thought now was about time that I did as alot has happened in the last year.

Firstly for the bad news. Back in April this year sadly my father in law passed away from the big C. This meant that my mother in law was by herself in a rather large 4 bedroom house. At the time we were thinking of moving anyway as our family was growing and we needed more space. A bonus of the mother in laws house was that it also had a self contained flat built on the side, which she used to rent out. After much thought we agreed that an option would be for us to move into the main house and she would move into the flat. So that's what we decided. One problem was that the main house was in abit of a 70's time warp, and needed alot of work done. So we set about getting it done. Here's a few before pictures:

Kitchen:

by Hooblue1, on Flickr

by Hooblue1, on Flickr

Hallway:

by Hooblue1, on Flickr

Lounge:

by Hooblue1, on Flickr

Hooblue

So then the work started.

Old kitchen ripped out:

by Hooblue1, on Flickr

There were numerous problems when the kitchen fitters came to fit the new one. The electrics were screwed up and the gas pipe under the floor needed re-routing too. After about 4 weeks this is what it looks like now:

by Hooblue1, on Flickr

by Hooblue1, on Flickr

New kitchen in, complete with nice new American fridge/freezer, range cooker and wine cooler. The ceiling lights and LED's in the plinths still need to go in, and the walls need painting but it's 95% there. We just need to finish unpacking all of our stuff (hence the boxes and stuff all over the sides).

We also had new flooring throughout the ground floor as the old carpet and parquet flooring was abit dated and in bad condition. Here's the hall as it is now:

by Hooblue1, on Flickr

Walls all filled, rubbed down and painted, new flooring down, and skirts and doors and all woodwork all glossed. Just need to get rid of the pile of painting gear and then hang a mirror and some pictures and it'll be done.

Last edited:

Hooblue

Next up is the lounge. Now as the new lounge is much bigger than our old one I wanted to do things properly. therefore the old brick fireplace was removed and a new one built:

by Hooblue1, on Flickr

I also wanted all my cables for my AV gear chased into the walls:

by Hooblue1, on Flickr

Then the cables were installed, walls were all re-skimmed, new coving put on and skirts attached. Everything has been prep'ed ready to be painted and that is happening today and tomorrow, so by Sunday hopefully I'll be able to get all the AV gear set up.

As a treat to myself I've gone and bought a new TV. Picked up a very nice Phillips 46PFL8008T as the reviews are very good and I wasn't too bothered about the smart features, just wanted a decent screen. I also got myself a set of Q Acoustics 2050i's and a 200Ci centre. These will all go nicely with the Denon AVR2113 I picked up from Richer Sounds earlier in the year. Just need to get a new 3D bluray player and I'll be sorted.

As soon as it's done I'll post up more pics.

Our bedroom has also been fully redecorated and we've had Sky Multiroom installed too, so bought a cheap Samsung LED to hand on the wall in there together with the Sky HD box. No pictures oof that at the moment though.

Hooblue

Well the kitchen is still nearly done. There's a few odd little jobs that need finishing off but we're pretty much there. Just the plinth and ceiling lights to go in (still waiting for them to be delivered) and also afew little bits to tidy up. Also waiting for the curved cupboard door to be fitted but it's been out of stock for a while but is being delivered today. Then just finish the painting and it'll be done, other than unpacking all the boxes of stuff!

The hall and landing are also pretty much done. All painting finished and hall light is up, but need to fit the landing one. Then the carpet goes down on Thursday and after that it's just a question of hanging pictures.

Our bedroom is also pretty much there. Blind and curtains are up and I've also stuck up a shelf for the Sky HD box and also mounted the new TV on a cantilever bracket to allow it to be adjusted for the best viewing angle. Just need to get the cabling inside some trunking coming down the wall and it'll be done too.

As for the lounge and dining room, they are both now fully painted and the wallpaper is up above the fireplace. We've also started setting up the furniture like the sofas, and making it more like a proper lounge now. I've also done the most important thing and started setting up the AV gear. TV is up on the wall, AV unit is built and speakers set up, as well as the Sky HD box, bluray and PS3. Also set up the network switch but need to properly test the network connections to each source (although TV and Sky are both wireless). Also need to run the Audessy speaker set up from the Denon amp, and also play about with the TV features. Currently it's just set to the ISF Day setting, which although is decent, it needs tweaking abit. Picture quality is amazing though and I'm pleased I chose the TV. Also need to have a mess about with some of the other features like DNLA, ambilight, 3D, Smart hub etc.

Here's what it looked like last night:

image by Hooblue1, on Flickr

image by Hooblue1, on Flickr

Also need to hide the wires under the cabinet and also think about sub placement. In hindsight I should have run a long sub cable over to the other side of the room, but I didn't.
icon_e_sad.gif
And the AV cabinet is slightly too wide to allow the sub to go against the same wall as the speakers unless I move the cabinet to one side and have it off centre, which will look rubbish. Anyone have any ideas?

So coming on well so far. Next will be getting all our stuff over and put away, and then I can start on the little'uns play room and the porch!

AaronCooper

Standard Member
Sorry for your loss, my mum just got the all clear from cancer after having it for the second time - hopefully it'll get the message and bugged off once and for all!

Well done on the transformation, I love the kitchen - the black floor looks great!

Hooblue

Bit of an update from me. Got fed up with the AV unit as it was only a cheap thing from Ikea and was already beginning to come apart and sag. We've just replaced the sideboard and coffee table in the lounge with some nice proper oak ones, so I wanted to get an AV unit that matches.

Also have a few more techie purchases. Got rid of my HTPC as well as I found I just wasn't using it as I found it just a faff to turn on and wait for it to boot up etc. I therefore purchased a Synology DS213j NAS with 2x 3TB WD HDD's in it. Have now got all my media stored on that. I can stream most of it directly to the TV or via the amp or bluray player, apart from a few bluray ISO rips. Therefore I might pick up a cheap WD media player or something to handle those.

Also upgraded my bluray player from my old Sony S360 to a Sony S5100 for the 3D and added features.

As well as those I also started off a Sonos system in the form of a Play:1 in the kitchen and a Connect in the lounge to be able to use the AV system. Loving it so far and will be replacing the Play:1 with a Play:3 and moving the Play:1 upstairs at some point.

Here's what it looks like now (apologies for the picture quality but they were taken with an old iPhone).

by Hooblue1, on Flickr

by Hooblue1, on Flickr

by Hooblue1, on Flickr

Next on the agenda is a new sub (possibly the QA 2070i) and maybe some new rears. Also need to get the work done on the fireplace surround as we're having a nice oak surround made to fit. round

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom