Hooking up TV to amp and speakers

AVtyke

Novice Member
HI. I wonder if anyone has any knowledge of doing this with the modern 4K TVs. Im looking to buy a new 4K TV (below £500) Looking likely to be a Samsung after much research but regardless of tv i choose im confused with how i can hook up my amp and speakers to it.
My previous TV a Panasonic Plasma had the required Audio out sockets to do this but from what ive read of modern tvs they dont seem to have these.
What should i be looking for to do this or do i need an adaptor of some sort?
Would really like to stick with the amp and speakers as they are good quality and prefer them to a soundbar

Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Jester1066

What's the make/model of the amp & speakers you're wishing to connect to your new TV.

Most amps use HDMI cables & the amp acts as a HDMi switch if you like. All your sources, Bluray player, set-top box, games consoles etc plug into HDMI ports on the Amp, then a single HDMi lead is connected from the Amps' output to the TV.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
As you've found they've done away with analogue audio out sockets on modern TV's.
Most of them have a digital Optical output so all you need is a D/A convertor and an optical cable.
The convertor takes the digital out from the TV's optical and converts it to stereo and outputs it from RCA Phono sockets to be fed into an Aux input on your amp.
Just Google D/A Convertor and you'll find them listed from around £10 and up.
Some come with their own plug-in power supply which will need a free power outlet near your TV and some come with a short power cable with a USB plug at one end which can plug in to a free USB socket on the TV.

AVtyke

Novice Member
Thanks. Its a Stereo integrated NAD amp C315 BEE. I have Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Speakers
Im glad there is an option to convert. Bit of a novice but i'll see if i can work it out from there.
The Samsung TV im looking at states it has Optical Digital Audio Output on its specs

Amazon product

Im guessing this is the kind of thing im looking for. Converter with cable. Then plug my regular cables from the amp into this and this into the TV?

Last edited:

kingmoot

Novice Member
Hi, I asked a similar question elsewhere but didn't get any replies but I'm exploring similar options.

I've got an spdif DAC but there are issues with it:
  • when audio is available, it's not very good quality, it distorts
  • no audio is returned from hd channels and hd streaming (eg netflix / amazon prime)

So it's not the best solution. Regarding the audio quality, is it worth trying more expensive dac devices? The one I bought was cheap to be fair.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Spend a bit more and buy one that's compatible with Dolby Digital...scan the specs to make sure of the latter.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Apologies for hi-jack but I have somewhat similar problems with new TV which posted on other forums has not given any results.
I have an integrated Panasonic Blu ray player and 5.1 audio system.
I wish to connect to this as follows:
1 Default is normal sound from TV
2 Default is playing DVD/BluRay on selection of input via TV sound.
3 The ability on selection to play TV via 5.1 system.
4 The ability to display DVD/BluRay on selection with 5.1 system.

Panasonic has 2 HDMI in and one HDMI(earc) out.
Connecting this out to HDMI(earc) on TV results in all audio being sent to 5.1 system
Also connecting this output to other non earc HDMI inputs on TV results in no sound either way. (i.e. Sound dead both on TV and 5.1 system). Display remains the same.

aargh!

mikej

Apologies for hi-jack but I have somewhat similar problems with new TV which posted on other forums has not given any results.
I have an integrated Panasonic Blu ray player and 5.1 audio system.
I wish to connect to this as follows:
1 Default is normal sound from TV
2 Default is playing DVD/BluRay on selection of input via TV sound.
3 The ability on selection to play TV via 5.1 system.
4 The ability to display DVD/BluRay on selection with 5.1 system.

Panasonic has 2 HDMI in and one HDMI(earc) out.
Connecting this out to HDMI(earc) on TV results in all audio being sent to 5.1 system
Also connecting this output to other non earc HDMI inputs on TV results in no sound either way. (i.e. Sound dead both on TV and 5.1 system). Display remains the same.

aargh!

As I suggested in your original thread, you simply connect the two via HDMI ARC and set the TV's speaker option to 'TV' until you want to use the surround system, in which case you'll change it. That covers you for options 1, 3 & 4.

Option 2 (which you didn't mention in your original thread) might be trickier, because it would be usual to presume that you would want to hear the sound from an integrated Blu-ray player via the attached 5.1 system, but you may find there's an option to mute or turn down the sound from the external speakers on the system itself and still get sound from the TV speakers.

The other option is to simply select stereo sound on the external system which would at least remove the centre and rear speakers from the equation if you're not wanting surround sound all the time. In fact, if I was in your situation, I would leave external sound selected all the time and simply switch between surround and stereo sound on the audio system as necessary, as it's speakers are likely to be far better than the TV's own.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
As I suggested in your original thread, you simply connect the two via HDMI ARC and set the TV's speaker option to 'TV' until you want to use the surround system, in which case you'll change it. That covers you for options 1, 3 & 4.

Option 2 (which you didn't mention in your original thread) might be trickier, because it would be usual to presume that you would want to hear the sound from an integrated Blu-ray player via the attached 5.1 system, but you may find there's an option to mute or turn down the sound from the external speakers on the system itself and still get sound from the TV speakers.

The other option is to simply select stereo sound on the external system which would at least remove the centre and rear speakers from the equation if you're not wanting surround sound all the time. In fact, if I was in your situation, I would leave external sound selected all the time and simply switch between surround and stereo sound on the audio system as necessary, as it's speakers are likely to be far better than the TV's own.
Thanks . However sorry but it does not work like that with connection HDMI earc out on Panasonic BRD/Amp to earc HDMI on TV sound always defaults to 5.1 amp on switching on TV. Then have to go into settings to switch back to TV speakers. I want to achieve the opposite.
Have tried selecting stereo on amp but result is not as good as TV speakers. OK could play around with settings but only uses LR speakers without Sub.
On old TV (non arc) I used the following set up. Cable box to BRD/amp via optical cable, Amp HDMI out to HDMI 2 on TV, Firestick to HDMI in on BRD/amp, Cable box to HDMI one - still gave easy option to use amp.With this system audio from TV or amp was selectable simply by increasing and decreasing volume on either device. and I got full if simulated 5.1!

If I connect the HDMI earc out to any other non earc input HDMI on new TV I get zero sound from either TV or Amp as TV automatically turns on BRD/amp but no response to volume on either device.. If I then use BRD/amp remote to turn it off audio returns to TV speakers.
PS I am trying to explore a TV to amp audio solution via an optical connection TV to BRD/amp but am having problems inserting optical plug on TV which I am addressing elsewhere on this forum

mikej

@Boostrail That's odd - what make of TV do you have ? I have an AVR connected to a Panasonic TV via HDMI ARC and if I change the Speaker Selection option on the TV to use the TV speakers, then it will remember this option until I change it back. I'd presumed that all TVs would work in the same way, but it doesn't sound like yours does.

Have you tried exploring the HDMI-CEC options on your TV ? You may have to look in the set-up menu.

Incidentally - it's only the eARC-enabled HDMI socket that will carry sound from TV to audio system - the other HDMI sockets are inputs only. Also, just for info - your TV may have an eARC socket, but I think it'll just be using an ARC connection if your audio system dates back to 2013 (as you mentioned in the other thread) as eARC is a much more recent thing :)

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
@mikej
Thanks for your continued interest in my problem,
The TV is a 6 week old Sony XH9505.
Yes I mis specified the Panasonic BRD/5.1 output as earc out not arc. However if this output is connected to earc HDMI on TV then turn on TV then Panasonic turns on , turn on Panasonic then TV turns on.
I am surprised that I cannot connect the Panasonic to another non earc input on TV and play a BRD - no picture, no sound from either TV or Panasonic also kills sound from other external inputs " e.g. VM Cable box"
Only way to play BRD etc from Panasonic is ARC to eARC connection,
Perhaps I need to further explore the settings on this TV but after several previous explorations cannot see anything relevant although I find some settings perhaps ambiguous.
BTW the sound on this TV via internal speakers is far better than I expected and perfectly adequate for normal TV viewing which is 75%. Would just like to take advantage of 5.1 system when occasionally viewing Netflix or Prime movies but also be able to play BRD just by input selection without compromise to audio requirements on other sources.
As described above the configuration on my previous non arc Panasonic TV worked brilliantly

Last edited:

mikej

@Boostrail would one option be to disable HDMI-CEC (or whatever Sony call it) and then only enable it when you want to use the external speakers ? This would be a little unconventional, but possibly not many more steps than switching between internal and external speakers in the sound menu.

I still don't understand why the Sony TV would 'forget' that you previously selected the TV's own speakers and keep defaulting to external, but I've never owned a Sony TV so don't know if this is normal behaviour or not.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom