Hooking Up Sony KD 55xd8005 to Satellite

JamesMcL13

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, satellite noob here!

I've just moved into a new house and the owners have left their sky satellite dish. I've struggled to get freeview on my Sony KD 55xd8005, and I noticed there are satellite inputs in the back, so I've been playing around with getting it working (best way to learn I think). I'm assuming this would be freesat??

Anyway, I've checked the position of the satellite, and I"m confident it's pointing at Astra 28.2º East.

There are 2 satellite cables, and I've plugged both into the MAIN and SUB connectors on the back of TV.

When I do a full scan it picks up most sky channels, and ITV, but I've not managed to get any BBC channels yet.

I've tried narrowing my search using the manual mode.

I've taken 1 cable out and left the other in MAIN and attempted to get BBC One Scotland which I think is on this frequency (see attached image for settings)

P_20210805_145528.jpg

I keep picking up these 4 channels (Daystar TV Network, FRANCE 24 HD, TJC HD and Bloomberg HD) instead which seem to be on a different frequency according to this link, then when I swap cables over I get a different 5 channels which are meant to be on this frequency on this link.

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Hi everyone, satellite noob here!

I've just moved into a new house and the owners have left their sky satellite dish. I've struggled to get freeview on my Sony KD 55xd8005, and I noticed there are satellite inputs in the back, so I've been playing around with getting it working (best way to learn I think). I'm assuming this would be freesat??

Anyway, I've checked the position of the satellite, and I"m confident it's pointing at Astra 28.2º East.

There are 2 satellite cables, and I've plugged both into the MAIN and SUB connectors on the back of TV.

When I do a full scan it picks up most sky channels, and ITV, but I've not managed to get any BBC channels yet.

I've tried narrowing my search using the manual mode.

I've taken 1 cable out and left the other in MAIN and attempted to get BBC One Scotland which I think is on this frequency (see attached image for settings)

View attachment 1551167

I keep picking up these 4 channels (Daystar TV Network, FRANCE 24 HD, TJC HD and Bloomberg HD) instead which seem to be on a different frequency according to this link, then when I swap cables over I get a different 5 channels which are meant to be on this frequency on this link.

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

What LNB is on the dish, Sky Q two output or other?

Thanks for the quick reply!

It's a Sky Dish, Model:EL026. Wideband LNB ODU.

2 cables coming out of it.

Hope this helps :)

Probably a Sky Q LNB then. If so may need changing to a 4 output Sky HD LNB or a Hybrid LNB.

Lots on info on the forums, not need to ask, just search.

Probably a Sky Q LNB then. If so may need changing to a 4 output Sky HD LNB or a Hybrid LNB.

Lots on info on the forums, not need to ask, just search.
Yes I believe it is after looking a bit more into it.

I was a bit confused why I would pick up different signals when explicitly search for the correct ones in the photo. I thought it would just come back with nothing.

I was a bit confused why I would pick up different signals when explicitly search for the correct ones in the photo. I thought it would just come back with nothing.
Because the DC supply makes the LNB work electrically, but wrong Intermediate Frequency means a different transponder is tuned to, rather than the one asked for.
The wideband LNB will ignore the requests for H/V polarisation (13/18V) and Hi/Lo band (22 kHz tone).
The wideband output H frequencies on one cable and V frequencies on the other.

Universal LNB IF oscillator is 9.75 GHz (lo) and 10.60GHz (hi).
Wideband ($ky Q lnb) is 10.40 or 10.41 GHz (Wikipedia).

TV expecting 11.023 GHz is likely to be tuned to (take away 9.75) 1.273 GHz
add 10.41 = 11.674 GHz transponder frequency.

Now, a tuner will lock on to something close to the nominal frequency by means an automatic frequency control:
So 11.671 H (on one cable) = Ideal World HD etc.,. and
11.685 V (on the other) = Daystar HD etc.,.
Which is exactly what you have found.

BBC One Scotland HD on 11.024 H would need you to set the TV to want 11.024-10.40+9.75 = 10.374 GHz (with the H cable) - but that's outwith the selectable tuning range of most universal lnb receivers, (10.7 being the lowest), so it's sadly just not possible.

Swapping the LNB is simple and cheap enough; and if the dish is easily and safely accessible can be done d-i-y.

Now why is your Freeview signal giving trouble? Aerial? Location? Missing amplifier power supply (movers 'helpfully' pack and take them), or no power due to one being switched off? Dodgy connections? If you want help with that then we have a nearby Freeview sub-forum.

thanks for giving such a detailed answer. Makes sense now.

I think the aerial has just never been installed, so I've bought this LNB from Amazon arriving tomorrow. Will see if it works tomorrow

Thanks again :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but I would like to know more about the Satellite connections if anyone can help.

1) What is the difference between the two LNB inputs?

2) If I connect the correct LNB will the TV tune to all "Free to air" channels, or just the Freesat ones?

3) Can the TV be tuned to the Satellite channels as well as the Terrestrial channels. I'm sure when I last attempted to tune Satellite channels I lost the Terrestrial ones.

Thanks.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but I would like to know more about the Satellite connections if anyone can help.

1) What is the difference between the two LNB inputs?
Nothing much.
Two tuners each able to tune to any of the broadcast transponders. Need two feeds to allow each tuner to control the 4 different modes independently.
Allows a sort of PVR functionality.
The Sony website for that TV model also claims to have two UHF TV tuners (one input only needed).
2) If I connect the correct LNB will the TV tune to all "Free to air" channels, or just the Freesat ones?
Depends on if it has a freesat mode (with postcode entry) and full 7-day EPG, or is just a generic free to air satellite tuner. It will be possible to tune all, but may disable freesat (if it has freesat) in the process.
3) Can the TV be tuned to the Satellite channels as well as the Terrestrial channels. I'm sure when I last attempted to tune Satellite channels I lost the Terrestrial ones.
Many TVs have two modes: Freeview TV and Satellite. Very rare to have both available together (even in Ireland where special combined boxes for Soarview and Saorsat are sold).

My Panny GT60 has one sat tuner and one UHF tuner. That allows either TV-freesat or TV-Freeview to be selected and watched at any one time. Sadly it don't allow the other tuner to be used when recording from the other tuner onto a USB HDD.

It may be worth reading the manual and / or trawling any old threads on that series/generation of Sony TVs where the issues may well have been covered in the past?

It may be worth reading the manual and / or trawling any old threads on that series/generation of Sony TVs where the issues may well have been covered in the past?
Many thanks for the info and advice.
I don't believe anything remotely like a "manual" came with my Sony, just a few pages on how to fit the legs and turn it on etc.
But after you suggested it, I searched for one and found what looks like a comprehensive "Help Guide" on Sony's web site.
I'll start reading through it and see how I get on.
Thanks again.

Well I've looked through everything I can find on the Sony web site and there is nothing very helpful relating to Satellite TV.
I guess I'll just have to give it a go and hope I don't screw it all up.

Connect one or two satellite cables, go to Satellite Installation, and see what happens.

Connect one or two satellite cables, go to Satellite Installation, and see what happens.
Agreed.
Ideally two (take care not to bend over the centre 'pin' conductor - it's easy to do - when inserting into the TV socket).
If only one cable, make sure it's in the MAIN Sat input.
You can't really mess anything up otherwise.

NB if the TV has Freesat, the first thing it will ask for during the satellite tuning install will be your postcode (to allocate the correct nation/region of BBC and other broadcasters to their correct logical channel numbers).

I suspect it hasn't and therefore the USB stick and Sony Channel Editor software will be needed to sort things out/delete unwanted channels (including the encrytpted ones).

It's an XG90, so definitely not Freesat.
I've just got to extend my cable, the only one I have spare is just a few feet too short.
I'll let you know how I get on.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom