Hooking up SNES to new TV

coolasacucumber

Standard Member
Reaction score
I had my SNES hooked up to my old Sony TV via Scart, new TV only has HDMI & composite inputs.

Would I be better buying a straight forward composite cable, or buying a Scart to HDMI convertor?

I only have a Scart cable, so need to buy 1 or the other. And it'll only be a standard £5 ebay convertor, not a £150/£200 professional thing.

Which will give a better picture?

Thanks!

I have a scart to HDMI for my Wii and it works great. It even sharpens the image quite a bit. Highly recommended.

If your only buying an inexpensive converter or cable I think the composite cable to your new TV is likely to offer the best quality.
The best video output from a SNES is RGB in either the form of an RGB Scart or component video cable. The cheap Scart to HDMI adaptors often don't support RGB so offer no advantage over composite video cables. There is also a good chance the upscaling and conversion done inside the TV to get the composite signal displayed on the screen is better that what would occur inside a cheap scart converter.

Okedokey, thanks.

So just to clarify original question with anyone, what would give better quality, RCA composite cable straight from SNES into tv, or scart cable from SNES into scart/hdmi convertor, them hdmi into tv?

Thanks

Cold Fusion - I missed your comment while typing mine, thank you, that's kind of confirmed the way I was thinking.

Yes I'd love an RGB signal, but with no Scart or component input, I think straight RCA is probably the best bet.

Thanks again 👍

If your budget can stretch to it an rgb scart cable connected to an ossc (open source scan converter) would give a pixel perfect picture on a modern tv

the ossc was about £110 last time I checked and the rgb cable around £20

The ossc is very actively supported by the retro gaming community with regular firmware updates and improvements

It personally use an xrgb mini framemeister for all my old consoles which does the same job but they do not make them any more

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom