1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hooking up Sky + to a PWD6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Unlight, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hey guys,

Im new to all this Sky lark, and am about to order Sky + for to get some hours clocked up on my PWD6.

I believe the Sky + box has component connections, are these best to go for? My VGA port is still unused, would getting a component to VGA cable be a good bet for picture quality?

Any help much appreciated!

2. Eye in the sky

Eye in the sky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    SKY+ uses RGBs SCART. This means that the Sync signal is sent on the composite pin. If you intend to connect SKY+ to the component/RGB input on your plasma, a direct connection (using a SCART to component cable (three connectors - RGB only) will not work. You will need a box from Keene that takes the SYNC signal (in the SKY+ SCART output) and adds it to the G signal, turning it into RGsB.

If you intend to use RGBHV cables (five connectors), you will need another box from Keene (a check on their website will help).

However, a direct connection from SKY+ SCART to Plasma SCART will work.

Have fun!

3. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  4. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Firstly - thanks for the comments guys -

Does anyone know what the picture quality would be like if I used a SCART - S Video lead, and then used my Denon 2805 to upconvert the signal to component?

5. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unlight, from my experience every device in the chain only degrades the PQ and not upconvert as you suggest (by device I mean dvd player etc, not rgb/vga convertors)

if I run my sky+ box via RGB scart through my Panny 55 DVD recorder and then via component to my PWD6, the Sky PQ is no where near as good as RGB scart directly into the plasma,

that said the DVD PQ via component into the panny plasma is stunning and I would recommend component as the best way to connect a DVD player/recorder.

if you don't feel like forking out for an RGB>VGA adaptor, the SCART input for the PWD6 is still pretty damn good for watching Sky+ IMHO

Spook

6. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ok cool, well I have a free SCART slot anyway, so I guess I may as well just buy a decent RGB lead and stick with that?