• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Hooking up PS3 to 19' CRT Monitor

theriggla69

Standard Member
I have a Samsung 997df CRT monitor and I want to play my PS3 on it. The monitor is capable of 1920x1440 resolution so it more than surpasses full HD and it's HD ready, and considering the fact that I don't have an HDTV this would be convenient for me at the moment in order to play my PS3 in HD instead of SD.

What do I need to hook up the PS3 to the monitor? What connectors etc. do I need?

I asked this question somewhere else and this is the response I got.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yes the 997df is 1920x1440 actually. And yes that exceeds 1080p and is a great display.

Easiest way would be to use HDMI cable for PS3, then a HDMI-to-DVI adapter (preferably one that has audio support), then a DVI-to-VGA (or DVI-to-RGBHV BNC) cable."
------------------------------------------------------------------------

His answer has me confused and I do not understand how I would connect these cables at all. Can someone shed some light and break it down for me? Some links to specific cables I need would be greatly appreciated.

(p.s. sorry if I posted this in the wrong section)

Last edited:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I googled your monitor and it appears it only has VGA input. Can you confirm this? I don't think it has DVI at all, well the sites I checked says it doesn't.

I think you will need to convert the Component video output (YUV / YpBpR) to VGA using a suitable converter like this. I'm sure if you asked JS themselves, they could advise whether it will work for you or not.

You would need to run a separate audio cable or output to some amplified speakers or amp/speakers.

BTW - Bumping a thread an hour after posting isn't necessary. This isn't a 24 hour service!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom