Hooking up Klipsch Subwoofer to Heos Super Link Multi-Room Surround System (Technical)

BugAC

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a Denon Heos Super Link multi-room surround system in my house. Below is my AV closet.

[link=([URL="https://www.denon.com/shop/preamplifiers/heossuperlink)]Denon"]DENON UK[/URL] Heos SuperLink[/link]

Each zone features a stereo pair of pre-amp outputs, and each zone can be configured for stereo or mixed mono output. The matrix switching system features 4 optical digital inputs, 4 coaxial digital inputs and 4 analogue stereo inputs, any of which can be assigned to any zone, and every zone features a dedicated USB port for connection to an external USB drive.

[link=([URL]https://www.klipsch.com/products/r-10swi-wireless-subwoofer)]Klipsch[/URL] Subwoofer[/link]

YLrQH3S.jpg

VWsMRHr.jpg

When they wired the house and installed everything, they did not include a subwoofer.
I recently bought a Klipsch wireless subwoofer. The problem lies in installing. It should be easy to install per this diagram. The subwoofer cable per the diagram should go in the Pre Out (L) SW jack.

HPH4Wfx.jpg

The problem, however is that in that port for that zone (living room) already has a white wire coming out and going to one of the amps. In image below it is the white jack all the way to the left in the picture. (In the living room i have 2 Elura 6" in ceiling surround speakers.)

ITZDZQY.jpg

Picture of the back of the amp below.

Wc4r5rg.jpg

Additional Information: The 2 black jacks (black and red, and black and white) in the Line In 1 ports go to this device, which is connected to an ethernet jack. From google, i think this is a repeater??

N5ZMJus.jpg

all

And here's a general shot of the back of the amps/super link.

eIxmR75.jpg

It looks like the pre-outs of the Denon are already occupied and they go to the power amp. The Klipsch wireless module takes an LFE input, so you couldn't feed it L and R from the Denon. If you activate the Subwoofer Output on Denon, it seems you can't then drive the power amp and maintain the volume control via the Heos.
Very strange.
I would probably leave it as it is and get a Stereo-to-mono convertor and connect it on the output of the power amp. That output should be volume-controlled by the Denon anyway, because it alters the signal the power amp receives to start with. You can then connect the LFE of the wireless module into the converter.
(Unless the Heos lets you assign any other of its pre-outs as the subwoofer of that particular zone).

ps: if you connect the Klipsch module to the L or R of the amplifier's output, you will see that it works. All you are effectively doing with the convertor is utilising the other channel's information.

Last edited:
I spoke with the AV guys that installed my heos system. They told me to get a RCA to 3.5mm converter. It's coming in tomorrow, so i'll hook that up and see if it works.

On a second thought, I would probably put a miniDSP 2x4 between the source and the Denon. I would do the crossover in the miniDSP and from there go straight into the Denon with L,R, and straight into the Klipsh module with the low frequencies.

Where would the 3.5mm end go?

In the Elura Amp. You can't see it in the pictures, but there's a 3.5mm out. It's an Elura Amp 100/6.

I can now see the 3.5mm, but it is a stereo output. That would work only if you were planning on sending that new cable straight to the subwoofer. Your wireless module takes an LFE input, which is a mono cable?

You have multiple ways of getting a stereo output, but no way for a combined L+R signal. That's the way I see it (I hope I am wrong).

So the 3.5mm output will not work.
I think you have the following options:

1. Use a crossover like the miniDSP and then go into the Denon and into your wireless Klipsh. That gives you DSP which is neat.
2.Connect a wireless stereo RCA kit like the Monitor Audio WT-1 at the power amp's output, and you can connect the WR-1 straight to the subwoofer; no need to use the existing wireless module.
3. Connect a stereo-to-mono convertor on the power amp's output and use the Klipsch wireless module.

At the meantime connect the Klipsh wireless transmitter at the L or R output of the power amp. It will only give you half the bass information, but you will have the subwoofer working a bit (turn the subwoofer really low at first, to ensure the signal is attenuated via the Heos interface, and it is not a constant 2V!! Best play it safe).

Last edited:
Could i plug the subwoofer adapter to the heos amp like the picture below, and then plug the red and white cables (i'm assuming are that zones speakers) into the 3.5mm RCA adapter in the stereo out?

1607461398646.png

I don't have the kit in front of me, but if you put the subwoofer where the white RCA is now, where would the white RCA go?The Red and white cables now give your power amp the Left and Right signal. If you take one out, how will you send it over?

If you want to connect the subwoofer there you'd need to buy an RCA splitter. But you will still get half the bass. Like connecting it to the single output of your power amp I told you before

Didn't think about that. I don't really have any experience hooking up multiroom wireless systems, so i'm just spitballing. My previous surround system was a Yamaha receiver and 5 surround speakers.

So it really needs to go to the amp, not the superlink. Here's the diagram of the amp, if this helps.

1607462308598.png

The problem is that you have a stereo source and the wireless module takes an LFE signal because it is made for an AV receiver. So you have to make a mono signal (miniDSP or converter), OR use a stereo wireless kit like the Monitor Audio.
The 'mono' wireless kit complicates things...

I may end up returning the sub if it doesn't work. I figured this system wouldn't have much of an issue hooking up any subwoofer, but apparently they are steering you to buy only their approved brands.

The 3.5mm cable will give you a stereo output when connected to the power amp. When it arrives, connect the subwoofer there and you will get half the bass. If you want full bass you'd have to get something similar to the Monitor Audio kit, or buy a stereo to mono convertor. The Monitor Audio would be a better option I think.

The subwoofer is made for home cinema use, so the single cable solution is not bad!
I am surprised the Denon kit doesn't offer you another output!

Considering the price, me too!!! LOL

The AV guy told me the heos subwoofers are just, plug into a wall, and the system automatically detects it. Just didn't want to spend $700 on a subwoofer.

Thanks for the help. I'll look up the monitor audio kit. Hopefully they aren't too expensive.

You might find something similar for a lot less. As long as it sends full range sound!

Could you name out a few things, so i can price them? Can't find the monitor audio anywhere online.

I don't know much about these things, I have never had this issue!
The cheapest way would be to use the Monacor SMC-1 at the end of your new 3.5mm cable and then connect the Klipsch wireless kit. Job done.

The Monitor Audio kit costs $95 in the UK, but I am sure there are equivalent kits in US! You will have to look for RCA wireless transmitter/receiver kits.

The MiniDSP 2x4 would solve the problem too, but you will have to connect a PC in order to create the configuration you need.

That's what is going on inside a convertor box.
Stereo%2520To%2520Mono%2520Passive.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom