1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hooking up a Denon 3805 and a 3910 - Problem ;(

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by devs, Mar 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi people I've just got a 3805 and I'm trying to hook it up to my 3910 however I'm failing badly ;(

So far I've got my 5.1 speakers connected and working with the 3805 done the set up etc and the radio plays fine through the speakers.

I've got the denon-link between the the 3805+3910 connected and a scart from my 3910 to my TV. Now when I try and play a DVD I get no sound at all through the speakers ;( Any ideas what I'm doing wrong. I've also heard that its not possible to send sacd data via the denon-link. If this is true could someone please explain how I set the to up for use with super audio. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like in my own front room!

I'm very new to A/V setups so please be gentle!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Many Thanks,

dEVS! :smashin:

2. weremog

weremog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try these:
    In Set Up, ensure you have the DVD Audio configured to the appropriate input i.e. Set Up - Input Set Up - DVD - Dlink

or

Toggling with the Ext.In setting (button under the front fold down flap) and see if setting the Input to Ext.In picks up the audio.

I've had loads of issues setting up this amp all due to the crappy manual!

3. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi there mate and many thanks for the help its very much appreciated!

Okay I've tried - Set up - Input Set up - 1. Digital IN assign and DVD is set to Dlink then at the bottom in says 'No signal' ? This might be normal?

I've also tried every button under the Ext. In on teh fround pannel. Yet still no joy ;(

Any other thought mate? Could it be at the dvd player end?

Thanks! ;)

4. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've just been into the menu on the 3910 and in the "digtal interface set up" denon link is grayed out so I can not select it... Could this be the problem - why can I not sellect it?

Thanks!

5. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  6. weremog

weremog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mmmm - reached the limit of my knowledge here! My Denon DVD2200 has no D-Link so I can't comment on the greyed out bit.

Almost as frustrating as me trying to get the monitor out to TV working.. :rolleyes:

7. weremog

weremog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good stuff! However i think that the SACD requires the analogue audio connections to be made between amp and dvd player

8. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yeah mate your right it does... Yet how do I do that?

9. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi again mate just managed to get the last task complete! Well please now! Chill'in out listening to Nick Drake on SACD - sounds quality! ;)

Thanks for your help,

dEVS! :)

10. weremog

weremog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No problem :thumbsup:

11. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Okay found another problem thats puzzeling me... My sub only works when playing super audio CDs and does'nt when playing normal Cds? Any ideas?

Thanks! ;)

12. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have this same setup but different speakers and sub to you no doubt. It is a great setup but was wondering what the difference is between SACD and normal CD music?

Do you have better surround sound music from a music DVD or SACD compared to normal CD... Is it just all hype about these SACD formats?

I have a digital out on coax 1 to my DVD player and denon link to my DVD player also. This means I can play everything in theory and it is HD ready too. The sub is connected via fibre link as its a REL stratus and I have Aelite 3 2 and soon 1's for rear surround. The 2's are my surround speakers and the 3's are awesome floorstanders.

Can someone let me know about the SACD format, have done some searching on here but no one has mentioned what the difference is between it and normal CD audio.

For your sub config on the denon make sure you have done a auto setup with it switched on and plugged in.

Napier

13. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi There Napier, yeah Super Audio CDs sound pretty good over this setup mate. I've only just got things going so I'm in no way an expert! With SACDs you do use all the surround channels so you'll be getting the most out of your setup.

I'm currently using some Jamo A305 satellite speakers that I'm going to upgrade as soon as I get some more Ca$h. I really like the the look of your Aelite 3's are they good speakers mate? Can I ask where you bought them and how much they cost?

Thanks for the info above I'll take another look at my setup tonight...

Cheers,

Devs.

14. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Aelites are not cheap as they are the higher spec range from Acoustic Energy. However with the 3805 they sound so good! They have masses amount of bass and the treble and mid range are crystal clear and dynamic. I love them and as soon as I get my new house with bigger lounge and detached they will be cranked up somewhat more...

Have a listen to them as they are worth every penny, I spent around £650 for the 3's and market rate for the 2's and sub. You can find them on many web sites however believe it or not the most competative for the whole lot were sound and vision (Sevenoaks). I would give them a call first as a point of reference and then see if you can find cheaper on a reputable web site that isn't run by some teenager in a dusty bedroom somewhere.

Good luck and let me know if you have any problems with your sub.

Napier

15. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Great thanks for the info Napier can I ask where you got the 3's for £650? That's seems like a good price to me! I've called sound and vision and they have never sold or heard of that range.. They are calling Acoustic Energy to find out more ;)

Devs

16. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    When playing CD's are you useing 'Direct' (or whatever its called) mode?
    If you are then the receiver does no bass management and therefore the full range signal is sent to the front L/R speakers. To get an output for the sub you will need to let the 3805 do the digital processing that can muck up the sound of music.

Mark.