Hooking it all together

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sbailey10, Sep 25, 2002.

1. sbailey10

sbailey10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to link together a TV (only one scart socket, no S-Video) to a Satellite Decoder, VHS video and DVD player. On the recommendation of all the stuff i have read on the web I bought a 3-1 scart box. When I plug the video scart into this the sat decoder goes a bit mental and starts hopping between the SAT channel (AV-1) and the terrestrial channel that the video is tuned into.

What do I need to do to resolve this? I have tried every single permutation of cables, but to no avail. I am only one step short of taking a chainsaw to the lot of it :(

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How many scart sockets has each device got? You should be able to daisy chain them.

DaveP

3. sbailey10

sbailey10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got 1 scart in the TV, 2 in the video, 2 in the decoder and 2 in the DVD player.

Thanks!

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,103
    If you have no macrovision on your dvd player you can connect the decoder to the TV then connect the VHS to the sattelite and then connect the DVD to the VHS.

Otherwise try connecting the DVD to the TV then the decoder to the DVD and the VHS to the decoder.

It is best when connecting more than one device to the one scart on the TV with a 3 in 1 is to have a off button on the 3 to 1 to switch between them without them interfering with each other.

5. snyphr

snyphr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK whats happening here is that you are using more than one av device at the same time and your tv cannot process the signals.

If you use a scart block then you can only power on one device at a time to ensure that the other signal does not come through.

Other alternative is to daisy chain tv>dvd>sat>vcr. Again you have to have power in each item (standby) but not have them switched on at the same time (operational) to ensure that theres no interference in the signals.

Hope this helps ;)

6. sbailey10

sbailey10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - I'm going to try these later on today when I've successfully lugged the TV cabinet across the room to get to the cables!

One dumb ass question - I take the point about everything being on standby so they don't interfere, but what happens if I want to record a programme that is being shown on satellite?? That way I will have to have both the decoder and the VHS on at the same time and will that not cause problems?

Thanks again

:kisses:

7. sbailey10

sbailey10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your advice. Having read the entire DVD manual there was no reference to macrovision however, it must have cos the latter config suggested is the one that worked with no interruptions. You probably saved me £50 in getting an engineer out to have a look at it so cheers a mill.

:D