Hook up an external BluRay drive to ATV1 USB?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Matt_C, Nov 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    Has anyone ever tried it? My ATV1 is running XBMC which of course has DVD playback support, and of course the ATV doesn't have a DVD drive.

But it does have a USB slot in the back, which I know has been enabled on the hacked ATV's like mine, to allow use of USB flash and hard drives.

Has it been enabled to allow the use of an external optical disc drive though? And more importantly, could you use a BluRay drive?

In effect, turn on ATV, boot into XBMC, slide a BRD into the external BR drive connected by USB, and press play and it, in alleged Apple fasion, "just works" ?

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,128
    I dont think so, in order to use a USB DVD drive you have to install a DVD driver on the ATV OS, NitoTV has such a driver.

There would probably need to be a Blu-ray specific driver as well. Also at the moment Blu-ray support in open source software is still in embryonic stages, you can play back the main movie but on the fly decrypting and menus are not in a usable state

3. Bobbler

Bobbler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The ATV lacks the hardware to playback the video anyway I would think. It struggles enough with compressed 720p (in non ATV specific formats), can't manage 1080p at all (excluding hacking in a Crystal HD card) so wouldn't think it capable or worth the efforts involved in proving it.

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,128
    Matt_C actually has the Crystal HD installed, though BCM70012 has a bitrate limit of something like 40Mbps and also a H.264 ref frame limit which means not all Blu-rays would be playable but some would.

The BCM70015 I think is the same but adds in some sort of video scaler along with XviD/DivX hardware decoding support.

If you want to try playing a Blu-ray the easiest way to do is to rip it under OSX with MakeMKV which will transfer the original video and audio into an MKV container which you can try playing on the ATV in XBMC. I'd only take the normal DTS/AC3 audio, dont try the HD audio unless you have an AMP that supports it.

5. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    I was just thinking outloud really... Would be useful should someone stop by with a BR as I'd just be able to whack it in and go, as opposed to ripping it

Wonder if the Mac Mini will ever support it...

6. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,128
    Crystal HD is supported under OSX and XBMC, you can install one inside a Mac Mini and use it within XBMC. The newer Mac Minis have H.264 hardware acceleration (which XBMC can also use) so theres no need unless it cant handle VC-1 Blu-rays the hardware to accelerate decoding is there but I dont think Apple make use of it in software.