1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hook Superbit Review

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,068
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Is it a classic? Matt Brown has reviewed the recent R1 release of Hook Superbit HERE

Enjoy:smashin:

2. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Does anyone really like 'HOOK' enough to buy a superbit version of it?

I must admit I bought the original R2 release in a bargain bin at my local Blockbusters ages ago (just to add to my Spielberg collection) & I found the pic & sound to be absolutely fine at the time.

I really think the film is a huge missed opportunity for Spielberg, as he should have adapted the Barry stories as they where - perfect material for him and there are a hints here and there (the memory of Wendy as a young girl, played by Gwyneth Paltrow, no less) at what might have been had he and the writers gone for a true adaptation of the original material.

The production design for Never Land is like a overdone Panto set and the Lost Boys...well, I don't think I should swear on these forums should I? As for Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell, all I can say is... 'nice legs!' :D

There are a few plus points - ILM's FX's are pretty fine for their day, Williams' score is much better than the film deserves (apart from the sugary song that's in there) and Hoffman's HOOK is very amusing - shameless Terry Thomas take off, but done with affection I'm sure.

Absolutely no need for a Superbit release IMHO. Surely there are better and more deserving films than this to get the full bit rate hit?

3. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    If you don't already own it then possibly. Unfortunately I don't have the older releases so couldn't compare, but I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with a superbit edition.

The problem with this one is (and why I gave it a low overall score) is that the sound is really quite poor when compared to newer releases. There's nothing between the DTS and DD versions, both sound flat and 2-dimensional. Which is a shame really, as despite the nausea-inducing-kids-from-drama-school this movie is good fun.

4. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I don't think there has been an anamorpic release before now has there? Therefore it probably needed some sort of update.

cosaw

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This version is in anamorphic widescreen. And it looks and sounds pretty good to me...:)