1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hong Kong Legends

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Chandler, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Chandler

Chandler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jenz

I am unable to view the bulletsnbabes web site at the moment (prob work pc!) so I was just after your assistance. Smiths are doing 3 for 2 at moment and I have just purchased shaft (2000), Iron Monkey and Hitman (stereo?) but they also had Island of Fire (60 mins spec feat but not sure of audio)

I am not sure if I should have got Island of fire instead of Iron monkey or Hitman? I like martial arts films (bruce lee is the best but I also like Jackie Chan and Jet Lee) and I particuarly like films with sword play and/or nunchukas!

If Shaft isn't that great will swap for Island of Fire but I already have Jackie Chain in Rush Hour, Shanghai Noon, Mr Nice Guy, Armour of God and will get Rush Hour 2 -so basically is Island of Fire worth a purchase or I did I choose the right two?

Also, Is Eastern Condors worth a purchase if can get it in a deal and is there swordplay?

Cheers!

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Island of Fire is the lesser of the 4 films, and is really more a hardcore title.

If I had to list them in preference it would be:

1) Iron Monkey
    2) Eastern Condors
    3) Hitman
    4) Island Of Fire

Have you got Once Upon A Time In China? If not that would slip in at number two and the others would drop down.

Swordplay in Eastern Condors? Not really, more straight fighting hand to hand and Gunplay.

Regards Neil.

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,333
    JENZ converted me into the HK legends titles and would have to say that IRON MONKEY is very very good, much better than the older JACKIE CHAN movies which I could not get along with ( they looked too dated and I obviously dont get the humour )

I purchased ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA after reading JENZ review and am looking forward to watching it ( It was purchased in smiths three for two offer )

I will probably go for EASTERN CONDORS next.

One last thing, is ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA II the same as ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINE AND AMERICA ?

[ 17-04-2001: Message edited by: DuncanWardle ]

4. Chandler

Chandler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HKL titles I have are : Armour of God, Black Sheep Affair, Once Upon a Time In China. I also have Drive and the Bruce Lee Box set and Mr Nice Guy! Action/Martial arts is Rush Hour and Shanghai Noon.

If I can find in a deal I am thinking of getting Eastern Condors, Island of Fire and New dragon Gate Inn - as I believe there are lots of swordplay in this film?

What is the best martial art film ever is it CTHD or Iron Monkey?

Great web site!

5. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aaaarggh! No...

There are 6 Once Upon A Time In China Films.

1 thru 3 star Jet Li and are considered the best. 4 & 5 feature Chiu Man Cheuk and are poor. 6 which *IS* Once Upon A Time In China and America again features Jet Li but is considered the poorer of the Li films. Don't go for the dreadful R2 version either.

CTHD or Iron Monkey? CTHD for sheer emotion and vibrancy, Iron Monkey for action...

Swordplay in New Dragon Gate Inn? Tons... including a truly outrageous climax.

Regards Neil.

6. Chandler

Chandler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to get Eastern Condors & New Dragon gate Inn & Island of Fire (unless you can name a better R" film out now!)

Also is Iron Monket strikes back any good?

7. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chandler,

If you wait til Monday you could pick up City Hunter instead of Island Of Fire.

Iron Monkey Strikes Back is cut and poor.

8. Chandler

Chandler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions - Iron Monky is a corker of a film. Will now get Either Eastern Condors or New Dragon Gate Inn (may get both?) but from what I can remember City Hunter didn't "do much" for me.

Is New Dragon Gate Inn better than Jet Li's Swordman 2 as I do not really like period/costume dramas although OUATIC was very good.

In your opinion what are the best ten HK films available on R2 at the moment.

9. Jimmy the Saint

Jimmy the Saint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched Iron Monkey the other night and was suitably impressed.
    However, I prefer watching these titles in their original language with subtitles, as opposed to the English dubbed version. The main reason for this is that considerable amounts of humour/plot are lost during the dubbing process (in order for the speech to fit the actors mouth movements). This can be clearly seen in Iron Monkey (put subtitles on and watch English track).Also I find the dubbed voices too comedic.
    What miffed me was that when watching the Chinese track, the actors appeared to be speaking a differnt dialect i.e Mandarin and not Cantonese and hence this was also dubbed over the actors original speech.
    My question would be 'is the R1 or R3 version the same or would I get the original dialect, as spoken by the actors, with English subtitles?' :confused:

10. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jimmy,

Iron Monkey was filmed in Cantonese, but dubbed post-sync. Ie. the voices were added after it was filmed hence the slight lipsynch you're noticing.

The R0 Iron Monkey is the same, just much worse quality.

Regards Neil.

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jenz, Help needed.

I finally got around to watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon yesterday and .....

It blew me away!!!!!!

One of the best films I have ever seen.

I have to say I'm not a die hard martial arts fan but I have always liked Bruce Lee and like watching these films every now and then...

I then watched Iron Monkey last night and thought it was pretty dire??? (my opinion)

It reminded me of a feature length episode of Monkey, too many jokes..... (by the way I love Monkey).

I think I was expecting CTHD 2 but ended up with what reminded me of an episode of some mothers do av em!!!! I understand that Chinese films do have a very high joke content but I expected someone to throw a custard pie into someones face at any moment.......

Can you recommend some films that you think I might like i.e. great fighting but a little bit more acting and story?

p.s.

I'm planning to watch Once upon a time in China 1 and 2 soon, should I bother?

[ 26-04-2001: Message edited by: Mr Bond ]

12. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +860
    I didn't like CTHD myself, never mind. Give me Duel To The Death over it any day.
    Just gotta say "Biggup Respect" to Jenz for bagging the news that The Story Of Rikki O has been nailed by HKL and they'll be releasing it next year. Wahey! Extreme kung fu!
    I'll have to hang on to my HK disc as I can't see it getting released totally uncut (the violence should be OK, but not the dog kicking) but the thought of some tasty HKL extras has got me all moist in anticipation.

Big treat for me over the weekend - advance preview disc of A Man Called Hero coming my way for reviewing. :D

13. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John J,

Thanks. A Man Called Hero SE is not bad, had it about a month now. It will be interesting to hear what you think. I'm not running my review til nearer the release at the end of May. I think the fake dog in Ricky is so fake the BBFC will allow it. Its all about animal duress. Remember there is a worse "Real" scene when the two dogs are clubbed together in True Lies.

Yep Ricky in September, but how about Amy Yip in Erotic Ghost Story in July ;)

Mr.Bond, Once Upon A Time In China 1 thru 3 may suit you must more then. Possibly New Dragon Gate Inn to if you dont mind the Mandarin rather than Cantonese track.

Regards Neil.

14. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +860
    You've got a point there about that dog business, I guess I'm just very dubious about the BBFC still, some things you never grow out of ;)

I'm interested over A Man Called Hero, usually I don't go for kung fu movies made outside the 70's. All that mad Shaolin frenzied foot'n'fist action really does it for me. I'm from the "Who needs a story when there's this much chop sockey action" school of thought. Mind you, Iron Monkey was a revelation in that it was modern (you know what I mean) and I actually liked it.
    It's all the fake wirework that puts me off in general, sometimes in having to constantly go one step further than the last film, things just get a wee bit too daft for my poor little mind to cope with :rolleyes:

Personal faves are the old Shaw Brothers flicks (36 Chambers especially - WHY NO DISC!!), stuff like The Descendent of Wing Chun, Fists and Guts (Gordon Liu is ace), Bruce (of course) and my all time fave, Master of the Flying Guillotine/One Armed Boxer 2. I'm really looking forward to Carter Wongs Born Invincible aswell as I haven't seen it in years.
    It's a good time to be a kung fu fan in the UK at last.

Amy Yip is a real babe. I keep putting off getting the dirt cheap HK disc, but I think I might have to just to tide me over.

[ 26-04-2001: Message edited by: Rambo John J ]

15. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +860
    Well, I haven't watched much of A Man Called Hero at the mo, but on first impressions the discs themselves don't seem to be much of an improvement on the usual MIA product. The extras disc kept locking up and it won't play the US trailer (unless it really is exactly the same as the HK trailer, even down to the non English soundtrack, which I doubt).
    Hmmmmm no anamorphic enhancement on the main feature. It's about time MIA got with the program really, but, having said that, I'd rather see this stuff presented as well as it is here than not at all. It just seems a bit of a missed opportunity.

I didn't know AMCH was made by the same team as The Storm Riders though, which has got to be one of the best "hardly been seen by anyone anywhere" films that are around. It's jumped up quite a bit in my expectations now, so I'm sure it'll be a corker judging from the trailer (how many times have I heard that!). It does look promising though.

16. cozzer

cozzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has anybody used www.dddhouse.com to buy any region 3 hk flicks? was checking the site out to find the region 3 versions of hard boiled and the killer in dolby digital 5.1!! does anyone own these discs? are they any good? it doesn't mention aspect ratio - are they widescreen or not? would like to know a little bit more before parting with my cash......also the horror flick audition - for sale there for $8US!! worth it?

17. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +860
    I use them all the time. deliveries can take up to 2 weeks but they're very reliable

The 5.1 on those discs isn't proper 5.1, they just channel a mono signal to all the speakers if I remember right. I don't think all the original elements are available to make a remastered soundtrack from. I'm sure they still have the original mono track on there though. Hard Boiled is a flipper I think. Jenz has a review of the Hard Boiled disc in his comparison between all the available versions of it at his site.

HK discs really are dirt cheap. I buy loads of them. The quality isn't bad either, the subtitles can lead to a few laughs sometimes though as they don't always seem to get someone fluent in English to do the translation. But for 4 or 5 quid a disc I don't really care

18. wicky1

wicky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Island on Fire is a very good film. Not the best but very good. It is not a typical Jackie Chan film, little comedy and violent. I enjoyed it very much, the HKL disc has some great extra and I'd recommend this disc highly as I would Eastern Condors also.